Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Garbage disposal: can you tell me about it?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 7:27 am
Dh and I did not grow up with one. Can you tell me it's benefits and drawbacks? How does one use it, clean it, install it? How much does it cost and is it necessary to by an expensive one? How does it work (or not) on shabbos? Tia!

Apr43

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 9:19 am
Garbage disposal is great. You put food waste down it. Depending on what model you buy some models can take more types of food than others. Each model will tell you clearly what it can handle. I have two of them one for each of my sinks and I use them every day. It is much easier to clean the sink as well as getting rid of food debris when washing dishes.

Apr43

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 9:20 am
Sorry also meant to add you control when you use it. If you don’t want to use it on Shabbat don’t do it. There is a an on off switch.Price varies on how powerful the model. Couple hundred dollars apiece.

clowny

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 9:29 am
I have a garbage disposal in both sinks and I absolutely love it. We bought it together with a bunch of other appliances so I don’t remember how much we paid. We use it for almost everything, from chicken bones to egg peels. Shabbos it cannot be used. Our model doesn’t have a switch, it’s basically an insert that when pressing down on it it starts working, making it very convenient for shabbos and very safe too.

Amarante

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 10:43 am
I grew up without a garbage disposal because at one time they were not permitted in New York City. Now that I have had one for many years I can't imagine living without one.

One major advantage is no smelly wet garbage from food. Also the sink is much easier to clean because all the little bits of stuff just get sponged into the drain as opposed to worrying about clogging a standard sink drain.

You should buy the best one you can get. Even the best ones are not that expensive but you want to make sure it has sufficient horsepower so that you aren't faced with clogs. Get a well rated Insinkerator and you won't be sorry.

Mine has an air switch located on the counter rather than the standard switch which makes it very effective and easier to use.

I don't do anything particular to clean it. I do toss lemon peels down because it is supposed to make it smell better but I don't have any particular smells from it.

You do need to use common sense to avoid clogs. You don't pour excessive amounts of animal fats or other fats down the drain - these can clog the pipes anyway. Also there are some other things to avoid

Fibrous vegetables and peels because these don't get mashed so they can wind up just forming a clog when they clump

Coffee grounds

Bones except chicken bones because large beef bones are just too strong for the blades

Uncooked pasta, rice, oatmeal

Large quantities of nuts

Large quantités of anything sent down at once - again common sense. The disposal is meant to deal with table scraps not an entire casserole or pot of food.

shanie5

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 1:34 pm
Always keep the water running when using the disposal-or the pipes will clog.
I don't have a strainer in my sink, so shabbos I have to be very careful that nothing goes down the drain or the sink will get clogged as I can't turn on the disposal.
I love having one too.

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 2:49 pm
Buy one with high horsepower. You still can't throw bones down the sink, but it will be much more durable. And for Shabbos get yourself a good fitting strainer so you can go back to the old way and not have food just sitting there waiting until Shabbos ends to grind up -- it will stink up the house fast.

shanie5

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 9:55 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
Buy one with high horsepower. You still can't throw bones down the sink, but it will be much more durable. And for Shabbos get yourself a good fitting strainer so you can go back to the old way and not have food just sitting there waiting until Shabbos ends to grind up -- it will stink up the house fast.

If you use a strainer just for shabbos-wouldn't that be considered separating?

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 10:07 pm
shanie5 wrote:
If you use a strainer just for shabbos-wouldn't that be considered separating?

I never asked this shaila. Didn't really realize there was one - it was merely returning my sink to it's previous functioning state. Does anyone know this to be a problem? I guess I'll run it by my rov sometime soon and see what he says. What does everyone else with a disposal do? Let their kitchen stink?

ETA: Now that I'm think more about this - the reality is that I leave the strainer in most of the time anyhow to prevent my kids from getting forks and spoons and other things down there and then I remove the strainer when I want to use the disposal several times per day. So maybe because it is there most of the time it's ok?

shanie5

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 10:51 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
I never asked this shaila. Didn't really realize there was one - it was merely returning my sink to it's previous functioning state. Does anyone know this to be a problem? I guess I'll run it by my rov sometime soon and see what he says. What does everyone else with a disposal do? Let their kitchen stink?

ETA: Now that I'm think more about this - the reality is that I leave the strainer in most of the time anyhow to prevent my kids from getting forks and spoons and other things down there and then I remove the strainer when I want to use the disposal several times per day. So maybe because it is there most of the time it's ok?

If its in place most of the time it's definitely less of a shaila as it may be considered part of the sink.
I never have one in place, so I don't use for shabbos either. Never asked a shaila though. (I do stick my hand in the drain to clean out if the sink gets stuffed on shabbos (or if something falls in that shouldn't). the switch is on the wall behind the sink, so I don't worry about it accidentally being turned on while my fingers are in it.

lucky14

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 11:37 pm
Wow I feel so naive right now. I thought they were standard with kitchen sinks.

doodlesmom

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 11:44 pm
My mom had one, and we weren’t happy with it. Cutlery used to get stuck a lot etc.
and I was always nervous that someone’s hand will go in there and it’ll trigger...

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Apr 13 2021, 11:54 pm
So interesting... First time I'm hearing about such a thing...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics