Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
What is your 4-7 yr old's immediate answer to this question?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

amother

Post Wed, Feb 27 2008, 8:51 am
Quote:
Do parents usually know exactly which test will be given to their child? I wasn't told anything before, and barely anything specific about the test afterwards except that the results aren't accurate.

Parents don't usually care which specific tests will be given, but they can certainly ask before hand. Usually the examiner at least reviews the categories of tests which will be done (cognitive, academic, etc.) After the testing is done, the practitioner should write up a detailed report which includes information about the test, your child's strengths and weaknesses as well as intervention suggestions that can help him improve. If you are really curious, I can try to pm you with a sample of this type of report with a fake name. You also can ask the testing psychologist for a sample report before you agree to the assessment, that's what I would do if it was my child and I wasn't sure of the quality of the assessor.

Writing the name of the test is no big deal, as it is not available commercially. You are only able to buy it from certain companies after you show proof of certification in a testing-related field.

gryp

Post Wed, Feb 27 2008, 9:01 am
That's why I tried to have him tested at home where I could watch and not at school, but it didn't work out that way in the end, because of factors that weren't under my control.

Quote:
After the testing is done, the practitioner should write up a detailed report which includes information about the test, your child's strengths and weaknesses as well as intervention suggestions that can help him improve

I find it a bit strange that the entire evaluation report in all areas he was evaluated for, only reported his weaknesses. And even those weren't accurate.
Honestly, if I had read the evaluation not knowing which child was being evaluated, I would have never in a million years guessed that it's my own son!!

Thanks for the PM offer, but you can't PM as amother.

Quote:
Writing the name of the test is no big deal, as it is not available commercially

Right, I meant, why did you post which test it is I'm talking about if I wrote two of the questions from it, and people aren't supposed to know what's on which test.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 27 2008, 9:22 am
I am not the same amother as the one who posted the name of the test. I just pointed out that in some cases it is not an optional part, but you are right, I probably should not have done that either.

gryp

Post Wed, Feb 27 2008, 1:59 pm
Okay, that makes sense.

When I'm speaking to "amothers" in a certain thread, I always assume they're the same person unless they sound drastically differently. I guess I shouldn't, but I do. Confused

Tehilla

Post Wed, Feb 27 2008, 2:01 pm
actually, now my daughter asked me randomly...days apart...what falls from the sky question. she too is quizzing me.

gryp

Post Wed, Feb 27 2008, 3:48 pm
Oh, amother, I see now it wasn't even an "amother" who posted that. Sorry, I thought it was.

cassandra

Post Wed, Feb 27 2008, 3:51 pm
You can purchase these tests on the Internet. If someone wants to cheat on an IQ test, there are much easier ways to do it....

Motek

Post Thu, Feb 28 2008, 12:11 pm
amother wrote:
Yes, it is not a good idea to let people know about the questions ...

Not a good idea for WHO?

If the IQ test givers think this is a problem, they should try changing the test and questions. I think GR or whoever wants to discuss the questions can certainly do so.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 28 2008, 12:19 pm
Quote:
You can purchase these tests on the Internet. If someone wants to cheat on an IQ test, there are much easier ways to do it....

No, there is no way for a non trained person to purchase these specific tests online. There are plenty of bogus tests online and they are just for fun.

Quote:
Not a good idea for WHO?
If the IQ test givers think this is a problem, they should try changing the test and questions. I think GR or whoever wants to discuss the questions can certainly do so.

Again, it is not a good idea for the general validity of the test. It is not a good idea for the children, who can be prepped and then have falsely elevated scores. There are about 4-6 valid IQ tests out there and the questions have been developed carefully over many years and tested on literally thousands of children before being released to the general public. What do you mean they should try changing the questions? Why would the test developers try to change the questions- it would mean creating a completely new test. I don't understand what you are suggesting.

wif

Post Thu, Feb 28 2008, 12:37 pm
My two and a half year old-- "Rain! Or maybe snow? Ima, rain or snow? Also there are birds in the sky. There are crows, and they say caw, caw! And sometimes rainbows. Red and orange green and blue shiny yellow purple too, all the colors that we know, are in the rainbow. But now it's dark so we have to go to sleep. Can I have milk in my orange cup? Milk is also wet! Like rain! Isn't that silly, Ima?"

She frightens me.

Motek

Post Thu, Feb 28 2008, 1:33 pm
amother wrote:
Again, it is not a good idea for the general validity of the test.

I don't think that's GR or the average person's concern. It was important to her to discuss this and so she did. She doesn't need to protect the test validity! She doesn't need to have any loyalty to the test makers!

Quote:
What do you mean they should try changing the questions? Why would the test developers try to change the questions- it would mean creating a completely new test. I don't understand what you are suggesting.

Creating different versions of the test.

Are the SAT tests identical year after year? What about other significant tests for the law boards etc.

If they didn't change them, then of course everybody would know the questions in advance. Yes, you can prepare for the tests but you don't know just what they will ask.

amother

Post Fri, Feb 29 2008, 4:39 am
Quote:
I don't think that's GR or the average person's concern. It was important to her to discuss this and so she did. She doesn't need to protect the test validity! She doesn't need to have any loyalty to the test makers!

I agree that GR has nothing to do with this. The psychologist who included one of the test questions in his explanation is the one who should be concerned. But truthfully, he probably did it to give her some example about how her child responded and it is not the biggest deal. There are psychs who occasionally do that, although it is not considered best practice.

Quote:
Are the SAT tests identical year after year? What about other significant tests for the law boards etc.
If they didn't change them, then of course everybody would know the questions in advance. Yes, you can prepare for the tests but you don't know just what they will ask.

Very different. First of all, the SATs /LSATs are not graded by the individual practitioner. You send them off to a company who runs the results through a scanner machine and they tell you your score. The IQ test cannot be given as a group test, it must be individual and the psychologist is supposed to make many, many inferences from the child's behavior and performance during the test. Children are labeled as brilliant, as [crazy], as learning disabled based on these tests and it wouldn't be fair to have them simply scored by a computer and be given a test number as that doesn't take into account many other factors such as was the child tired, is he selectively mute, does he just hate tests, etc.

The SATs have different versions primarily because a "sample section" that doesn't count is included with each test. I suppose if the IQ testing companies really wanted to make different versions of the test they could require the psychs to give additional sections and then send them in for review, but the companies are much smaller and probably don't have the staff to do statistical analyses on these sections. Also, it is unnecessary. Most people don't know what sorts of questions are asked on the tests and there's no reason they need to.

gryp

Post Fri, Feb 29 2008, 6:36 am
I'm just trying to imagine what kind of person would study for the IQ test. Someone who doesn't think he's smart enough to pass? LOL Rolling Eyes

Motek

Post Fri, Feb 29 2008, 6:53 am
GR wrote:
I'm just trying to imagine what kind of person would study for the IQ test. Someone who doesn't think he's smart enough to pass? LOL Rolling Eyes

someone who knows he/she will be given one for a certain job they've applied for and they want to practice, be familiar with the type of questions asked

amother

Post Fri, Feb 29 2008, 10:37 am
a mother who wants her child to get into a gifted program and knows a high score will help.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics