Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
5lbs of mozzarella — Update: also labne
1  2  Next

challahchallah

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 1:32 pm
My husband bought a 5lb block of fresh mozzarella because it was on sale. It will go bad relatively quickly once open, so I’m trying to think of things I can make with it to use it quickly. If there are recipes that freeze well, that’s even better. I already figure I can use the extra to make pizzas and freeze, but anything else more creative?

Update: I realized he also got 3 lbs of labne. We love that served with olive oil and zatar on fresh bread, but I don’t know if I can use 3lbs like that. Anything I can cook it into? A pasta recipe maybe?

Last edited by challahchallah on Wed, Apr 14 2021, 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

SuperWify

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 1:34 pm
Grate it and freeze.

challahchallah

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 1:36 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Grate it and freeze.

Will it stick together like that? Do I need to toss with cornstarch or anything to prevent clumping?

professor

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 1:38 pm
No it freezes well grated

Blessing1

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 1:40 pm
You can make mozzarella sticks. Cut it into sticks, dip in eggs, bread in crumbs and spices & fry.

SuperWify

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 1:45 pm
challahchallah wrote:
Will it stick together like that? Do I need to toss with cornstarch or anything to prevent clumping?

No I do it all the time. Store in challah bags.

challahchallah

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 1:55 pm
SuperWify wrote:
No I do it all the time. Store in challah bags.

What’s a challah bag? I store my challah in normal ziplocks, though I never freeze it.

challahchallah

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 1:56 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
You can make mozzarella sticks. Cut it into sticks, dip in eggs, bread in crumbs and spices & fry.

That’s a good call! I used to make these all the time and somehow just fell out of the habit. They freeze well too.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 2:07 pm
Make cheese chips. Grate three cups of cheese, and then mix with one egg, some salt, baking powder, and flour or almond powder. Mix until you have a loose cookie dough type batter.

Scoop spoonfuls onto an aluminum or paper lined cookie sheet, and bake until they are thin and crispy looking.

They are SO good, your kids will beg you for them. Full of healthy fats, and low to zero carbs. Just a couple will keep you full until dinner time. They're especially good when you are craving potato chips, and you can't be bothered to go to the store, the store is closed, or you're trying to avoid potatoes for whatever reason.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 2:14 pm
Portion out the amount you need for a cheese sauce. Something that melts down like that is ok if it clumps when frozen.

Bread and fry eggplant rounds. Layer with sauce and cheese and freeze.

Cube and bread and freeze in advance for frying/baking later as a topping for salads. Same for mozzarella sticks.

Make a really rich decadant baked ziti now for dinner which uses a lot.

Amarante

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 3:00 pm
Lasagna freezes well

Eggplant Parmesan freezes well

Make a Caprese salad as it is delicious. Keep it in the refrigerator as a nosh.

Serve the caorese salad with pizza.

It will all be used up. Five pounds sound ps like a lot until you start cooking and eating. 🤩

zaq

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 5:04 pm
Mozzarella freezes beautifully and doesn't crumble when thawed the way some other hard cheeses do.

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 5:15 pm
I make this for dinner occasionally, with cubes of fresh mozzarella added at the end instead of Parmesan.

https://www.thekitchn.com/reci.....47360

challahchallah

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 5:21 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
I make this for dinner occasionally, with cubes of fresh mozzarella added at the end instead of Parmesan.

https://www.thekitchn.com/reci.....47360

Ooh, this looks very good. I’ll have to give it a try at some point for sure. I actually have some frozen gnocchi I’ve been wondering what to do with.

challahchallah

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 6:16 pm
Amarante wrote:
Lasagna freezes well

Eggplant Parmesan freezes well

Make a Caprese salad as it is delicious. Keep it in the refrigerator as a nosh.

Serve the caorese salad with pizza.

It will all be used up. Five pounds sound ps like a lot until you start cooking and eating. 🤩

Oh I’m sure we’ll eat it, lol. It looks like a huge brick but we’re big cheese eaters.

SuperWify

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 7:37 pm
challahchallah wrote:
What’s a challah bag? I store my challah in normal ziplocks, though I never freeze it.

In not impressed challahchallah? you should know all the challah tips and techniques. LOL jk

Its basically a 1 or 2 gallon storage bag with a zip. Exactly like a ziplock it cheaper lol.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 7:54 pm
challahchallah wrote:

A 2 lb ziploc.

lucky14

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 8:14 pm
You can freeze it in smaller sized bags also. The bag size doesn't matter. When I buy big bags of shredded cheese on sale I actually divide it up into smaller zip-loc bags to freeze. I just find it easier that way.

challahchallah

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 9:11 pm
SuperWify wrote:
In not impressed challahchallah? you should know all the challah tips and techniques. LOL jk

Its basically a 1 or 2 gallon storage bag with a zip. Exactly like a ziplock it cheaper lol.

I know I feel so inadequate as challahchallah for not knowing the lingo. I do have all the sizes of ziploc but I’ve never heard it referred to specifically as a challah bag. Maybe it’s regional (I’m not in NY) or maybe it’s because I’m fundamentally against freezing all bread, including challah. Everyone claims it’s the same, and I politely pretend to agree with my hosts when they ask me to agree how fresh tasting their challah is, but I can always tell. Bread is always better freshly made (there, I said it! Now my true feelings are known! 😉). I do like the idea of cheaper 2 gallon ziplocks though. Is there an online or national place to get them or do you need access to the specialty frum stores I read about on here?

SuperWify

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 9:37 pm
challahchallah wrote:
I know I feel so inadequate as challahchallah for not knowing the lingo. I do have all the sizes of ziploc but I’ve never heard it referred to specifically as a challah bag. Maybe it’s regional (I’m not in NY) or maybe it’s because I’m fundamentally against freezing all bread, including challah. Everyone claims it’s the same, and I politely pretend to agree with my hosts when they ask me to agree how fresh tasting their challah is, but I can always tell. Bread is always better freshly made (there, I said it! Now my true feelings are known! 😉). I do like the idea of cheaper 2 gallon ziplocks though. Is there an online or national place to get them or do you need access to the specialty frum stores I read about on here?

In the Frum stores around here they sell them. it has a picture of a challah and literally says challah bag on it. But because your not from here (ie the tristate area) we will excuse you!

And I guess you truely are challah aficionado if you never serve frozen challah. Impressive. (I underbake my challahs just a bit and pop them in the oven for ten minutes right before shabbos. I think it tastes fresh but then again my name is NOT challahchallah. I’m superwifey- I can’t be great in everything....)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals