Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Do you entertain your kids?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 5:42 pm
While I know I can I really don't want to. I come home from work straight to housework and childraising. I have some time in the evening where I can play with them but I really don't want to. I resent the constant requests to play cards and ball and board games. I do everything to run this house and mother them and I resent the fact that they think I am the entertainment committee too. I feel bad that I don't want to be their friend but I just don't have the emotional and mental head space for it.
how awful am I? Do most moms play with their kids daily?

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 6:34 pm
I never play with my kids during the week. There is no time! But shabbos I do really try to sit and play at least one board game with them, more if possible/with younger ones.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 6:48 pm
I think it depends on the size family you have, and if they have built in company.
My oldest and the next one have quite a break between them, and I definitely entertain her every day. Sometimes I'm actively playing with her, and sometimes just supervising. We go to the park, we paint, etc.
(I do work and make dinner, and don't have household help. I don't have 7000 kids though. Quality over quantity.)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 7:08 pm
I don't have a big family but I can't find the energy to play games. between everything else I need to do I just can't find it in me to do this too. kudos to you that do!

Bleemee

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 7:10 pm
I don’t think it’s the Entertainment Committee. I think it’s the Connection Committee.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 7:12 pm
I don't I tell them to play next to me and I shmooze about their day. So I'm present but I just don't have the energy to play. On the weekends I play and do activities with them. Now when it's nice I just have them ride their bikes while I sit outside.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 7:22 pm
Can you find an activity that brings joy to you too?
I love books so I read lots and lots with my kids and love the discussions that we have around them.
Do you like art? Singing? Dancing?

Find a way to connect that speaks to both of you and that’s where the magic happens.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 7:29 pm
I put away my phone for a half hour from when they come home, and I give that whole half hour to them. After they get their Mommy-Fix, they play very nicely on their own.
Their playroom is set up quasi-Montessori-style, which definitely helps with the independent play.
I learned that when my 4.5 yo says “mommy, can you play with me?”, it really means “mommy, I had a hard day”.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 7:30 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
I put away my phone for a half hour from when they come home, and I give that whole half hour to them. After they get their Mommy-Fix, they play very nicely on their own.
Their playroom is set up quasi-Montessori-style, which definitely helps with the independent play.
I learned that when my 4.5 yo says “mommy, can you play with me?”, it really means “mommy, I had a hard day”.

Can you tell me more about Montessori style?

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 7:34 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Can you tell me more about Montessori style?

There are cube organizers along 2 of the walls with most of their toys on display. They can reach everything. Theres also a low down bookshelf.
There’s a play kitchen with all the accessories, an easel with water color paint, and a sensory table with diy sensory bins.
I also have clear, plastic drawers with all the mega blocks and magna tiles, cars and people, etc.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 7:35 pm
I do, but I let the housework slide.
I would definitely need at least an hour if not 2 to clean/straighten up before anyone comes into my house, unlike my MIL I am not always company ready.
I don’t make beds, change linen only every other week, use too many tin pans and paper plates and have no problem with a few dust bunnies here or there. Sometimes I leave pots soaking overnight. I don’t mind toys which are not put away that I know will be used again tomorrow and papers left out do not make me crazy.

My kids help me with dinner prep and we entertain each other in the kitchen.
Some of you will say I am laid back and take the time to enjoy my kids, other will say I am dysfunctional. There are only so many hours in a day, it is all about what you prioritize.

Zehava

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 7:38 pm
We talk when they come home and if they’re all ready for bed before bedtime they get to play a game with me until bedtime. Two birds with one stone.

silverlining3

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 10:03 pm
Can you set your kids up to play a game together next to you? I actually enjoy watching my 2 kids play, throwing in compliments here and there.

Like Zehava, I too play with them if they're ready early enough for bed. Sometimes it's a good tool to get them ready quick and not lazy around Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children