Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Asthma

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 6:41 pm
My son who is 12 has server asthma how can I help him clam down and not be so nervous and take his inhaler when he needs it

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 7:19 pm
Having an asthma flare such that you need an inhaler can itself cause anxiety. Not being able to breathe properly is very uncomfortable. Sad

I might try talking it through with him when he is feeling good. Explain how the medicine works. I’d also use a spacer if you are not already—it makes it easier to take and is also more effective—more of the medicine makes it to the lungs.

Is he needing his inhaler frequently? (Albuterol/levalbuterol) Does he take any other medications for asthma?

supersmile

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 7:27 pm
Yes he dose he takes singular and folvent also

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 7:33 pm
If the anxiety is only when he has to take the inhalers, then I’d do as above and talk to him about it when he’s feeling well.

If he’s generally anxious, I would mention that to your son’s doctor. Some medicines can have that as a side effect (one of my kids did with singular—we adjusted to a lower dose and it worked great with no issues in that case).

supersmile

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 7:51 pm
He is afraid to take it in school bec he thinks the teachers will panic (this is all new to him he was just told that he has extreme asthma)

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 7:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My son who is 12 has server asthma how can I help him clam down and not be so nervous and take his inhaler when he needs it

I have asthma. My pulmonologist explained that hyperventilating looks like anxiety, but it is a result of the asthma. I have had an EMT say I am having a panic attack, not an asthma attack, and refuse to transport me to the ER, when I was having an asthma attack. (My pulmonologist was very upset!)

So keep in mind that although there will always be some anxiety when a person cannot breathe, the asthma itself can cause quick, shallow breaths that look like an anxiety attack.

As for taking the inhaler in school, if it's for preventative ongoing care, he can use it in the bathroom. If it's for an asthma attack, maybe you can make an arrangement with the yeshiva that he can be excused to the office as needed (if there's no nurse).

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 8:04 pm
Does your school have a school nurse on site?
Did your doctor give you an asthma action plan for him? If so, the school should get a copy. If not, please ask your doctor for one. These give guidance on how to respond for various levels of symptoms.

My kids have food allergies and asthma and therefore need to have emergency medication with them and adults who can help administer if needed. I found that having a meeting with my kids’ teachers (and the school nurse) to walk them through the action plan and show them how the medicine(s) work eased their concerns. And made my kids (and me!) feel more comfortable.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics