Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
I thought you should know, you have it all wrong!
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 9:41 pm
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyl......html

New glossary updates 'outdated' terms like 'stay-at-home mom,' 'biological clock' and 'barren'

On Tuesday, Peanut revealed which terms it is revamping in its "Renaming Revolution" glossary, which features sections on fertility, loss, pregnancy, birth and motherhood. The glossary will be distributed to clinics and doctors in hopes of encouraging the use of more sensitive, modernized language.

"Infertile" and "barren" have been replaced with "reproductive struggles," while "biological clock" is now referred to as "family planning." Among the terms dealing with miscarriage is "early pregnancy loss" to replace "chemical pregnancy," "early stillbirth" as an alternative to "late miscarriage," "miscarried multiple" rather than "vanishing twin" and "pregnancy loss" instead of "spontaneous abortion."

The pregnancy section features updates including "pregnancy nausea" instead of "morning sickness" and "smooth pregnancy" rather than "uneventful pregnancy." Both "advanced maternal age" and "geriatric" — the term which started it all — have been swapped out with the more technical "35+" in reference to a woman's age.

The "Renaming Revolution" also calls for "birth plans" to be reframed as "birth preferences," and "birth defects" as "birth differences." "Natural birth" has been updated with "vaginal birth" or "surgical birth."

In the motherhood section, "full-time childcarer" has been suggested as an alternative to the term "stay-at-home mom" or "full-time mom," while "birth mother" has been replaced with "birther." Other entries include "fed is best" (in lieu of "breast is best"), "slow to grow" (replacing "failure to thrive") and "non-breast feeding" (instead of "artificial feeding").

"Terms like 'inhospitable womb,' 'geriatric pregnancy,' 'spontaneous abortion' or 'advanced maternal age' have traditionally been used to designate a woman's reproductive standing. However, this terminology is outdated," Dr. Somi Javaid, an ob-gyn who helped create the glossary, said in a press statement. "The goal with medical terminology should be to educate women and to shift away from blame or hurtful labels. This new glossary will include terms that serve the same purpose while empowering women rather than shaming them."

A Long Island woman's frustrated post about being labeled "geriatric" by her doctor as she shared her plans to conceive a second child at age 38 has sparked a new effort to "reclaim the terminology used around trying to conceive, pregnancy and motherhood" — with Chrissy Teigen helping to lead the charge against offensive and outdated terms.

The cookbook author has teamed up with Peanut, an app and community for moms and women trying to conceive, to launch "The Renaming Revolution," a new glossary created with input from leading linguists and medical professionals that will, per a press statement, "reflect modern motherhood and create a culture that values and empowers women." The glossary will replace loaded terms — including "geriatric pregnancy," "incompetent cervix" and "inhospitable womb" — with more empowering alternatives that give women more agency, and less shame.

trixx

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 10:26 pm
It's a war against women.

tigerwife

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 10:35 pm
I’ve always thought it was strange to call a pregnancy past 35 “geriatric”. But I can’t say I’ve ever been offended by it nor by any other term mentioned.

chanatron1000

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 10:37 pm
Renaming things comes at a cost.

Crookshanks

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 11:35 pm
Will this ever end!

singleagain

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 11:39 pm
Disclaimer voice to text

Why all the negativity? I actually just read this article on a different website and I don't think it's such a terrible thing I mean some of the terms when you really sit and think about it they're really degrading. Words matter context matters tone matters.

I'm turning 35 this weekend and I've not yet been pregnant and you know what sometimes I have to stop myself from reading certain threads on here because I see everyone freaking out about being 35 and having their last child and I haven't even had my first So yeah the idea of being called geriatric is offensive and hurtful and I'm glad that it's going to be changing

I think you should everyone should remember that words matter so choose them carefully

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 12:09 am
Political correctness...

Iymnok

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 12:41 am
Odd.
Many of the terms are very accurate. Changing them to woke creates confusion.
I do agree that calling a 35 year old woman geriatric is not a good idea.

Rappel

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 12:48 am
I'm glad that smooth pregnancies won't be called uneventful anymore. It almost sounds like the doctors were disappointed that there were no complications! XD

smss

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 12:51 am
Well I agree with a lot of this.
-pregnancy nausea is way more accurate than morning sickness
-don't call a 35yo geriatric
-vaginal birth is more accurate than natural birth (what does that even mean?! Something different to everyone...)
-fed is best is 100% true and we need to stop shaming moms for formula feeding (this is coming from someone who exclusively breastfed fyi)
Just a few that popped out at me.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 12:53 am
Iymnok wrote:

I do agree that calling a 35 year old woman geriatric is not a good idea.

LOL LOL

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 1:28 am
I was in the hospital with a bad miscarriage and they kept on calling it spontaneous abortion and on all the paperwork it was called that.
Honestly, it was super hurtful and in my very emotional state it was painful.
I'm glad that that are doing something to make sure less people feel pain.
How can that possibly be a bad thing?

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 7:11 am
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
I was in the hospital with a bad miscarriage and they kept on calling it spontaneous abortion and on all the paperwork it was called that.
Honestly, it was super hurtful and in my very emotional state it was painful.
I'm glad that that are doing something to make sure less people feel pain.
How can that possibly be a bad thing?

I agree. I was mortified when after having such a difficult early pregnancy and doing everything I can to save it, ultimately losing it. And then, the chutzpah of insurance to send me papers that said "spontaneous abortion" Surprised

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 7:30 am
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
Political correctness...

Yeah.

I mean, its not that women have suffered recurrent miscarriages, as this new glossary suggests. They are habitual aborters. Let's all remember to use that term if anyone here shares their stories. I'm sure they would truly appreciate your use of the proper term eschewing that evil political correctness.

We all also need to be sure that women who face fertility issues (reproductive challenges in this terrible PC glossary) are called by the correct term. Barren. Do you think that Yael would consider stopping this PC nonsense and change the name to "Forum for Barren Women"?

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 7:32 am
Some of them do make sense and sound way better.

DrMom

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 7:43 am
Quote:
"biological clock" is now referred to as "family planning."

How are these two terms equivalent at all?

Quote:
"birth mother" has been replaced with "birther."

Sounds too much like someone who believes in birther conspiracies.

Quote:
"non-breast feeding" (instead of "artificial feeding").

I thought we were supposed to use "chest-feeding" instead of "breast-feeding" Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

https://www.lllc.ca/joint-stat.....eding

sushilover

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 7:49 am
I like many, hate a few.

For example, my son's heart condition isn't a "birth difference" and calling it that won't change anything. It's a birth defect.

Theoretically, there shouldn't be anything wrong with changing terms if they are inaccurate or hurtful. But in reality, I know we live in a country that thrives on victim mentality and this could lead to good doctors being fired or vilified just for using the wrong word.

Once we are changing words anyway, can we find a new word for medically necessary abortion? I hate that it's lumped with elective abortion.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 7:55 am
Wait, isn't "birther" what they called people who wanted to see Obama's Kenyan birth certificate?

My daughter's birth mom would be laughing so hard right now! DD calls her Mom, and I'm Mama. We all like it this way.

Some of the other terms did seem a little outdated, but others seem to overly simplify things when they don't need to be. There is a time and place for specific medical terminology, and then there are times when you need to know when to make things more in layman's terms. That's where sensitivity comes in.

"Failure to thrive" was a hard one for me. DD had horrible colic, and wasn't gaining weight well the first few months. As a nervous first time mom, and adoptive as well, the LAST thing you want to hear, is that you are a failure in nurturing your child. It's your job, after all, so it must be your fault.

"Pregnancy nausea" does make sense. My poor sister used to call it "morning, noon, and night sickness, for 9 months straight."

STMommy

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 8:33 am
Some of y'all are laughing about the geriatric pregnancy name change but being called a woman of "advanced maternal age" and having a "geriatric pregnancy" at age 35 freaked me out enough to make DH and I want to stop having kids after that last one, and now almost a decade later I regret it.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 8:40 am
I think they should rename “little t trauma”.
While I understand its context against the “big T trauma” the little t’s can cause huge suffering and when I hear it referred to as “little” it makes me feel invalidated

(For context, I’m talking about subtle childhood
molestation that happened but by bit over a prolonged period of time. So it wasn’t a big one time event but it ruined my life)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette