Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Investing Money
Previous  1  2

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 11:02 pm
Safest investment is real estate. As the saying goes “G-d not making more of it”. Use money for down payment on cheapest house you can afford. Let the bank and a tenants pay off the rest.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 8:51 am
bsy wrote:
Do it yourself by paying for a subscription to investment groups. The motley fool is about 100 a year I think and the returns are much higher than the s and p

You need to know what you’re doing for that to work.
Talking from experience.
I think an S&P 500 index fund is the safest option with the highest return.

icedcoffee

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 9:03 am
Throwing it out there, we've been successful just using the Robinhood app. It's all self-directed but you're not paying anyone to do it for you. I have a Vanguard ETF in there along with many others. It's hard to go wrong sticking with ETFs / mutual funds and letting it grow passively over time.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 9:07 am
icedcoffee wrote:
Throwing it out there, we've been successful just using the Robinhood app. It's all self-directed but you're not paying anyone to do it for you. I have a Vanguard ETF in there along with many others. It's hard to go wrong sticking with ETFs / mutual funds and letting it grow passively over time.

The thing with Robinhood is that it’s really easy to buy and sell and you can end up making silly decisions.
But if you stick to the funds within Robinhood with maybe some well researched individual stocks mixed in, you’ll probably be fine.
You just need to be very levelheaded.

icedcoffee

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 9:13 am
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
The thing with Robinhood is that it’s really easy to buy and sell and you can end up making silly decisions.
But if you stick to the funds within Robinhood with maybe some well researched individual stocks mixed in, you’ll probably be fine.
You just need to be very levelheaded.

Yes, that's a really good point. They actually have been criticized for making the app feel "gamified" because the experience feels like a mobile phone game in some aspects. It's super easy to tap-tap-tap and bam, you just spent $10k. You definitely need to be level-headed and not get caught up in impulsive decisions, which is why I like to dump it in something like Vanguard and then walk away.

EMEN

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 9:39 am
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
Can you elaborate why you are saying specifically FZROX and not any of the other funds?

FZROX is an index fund that tracks the total market. It has no expense ratio and no minimum investment.
VTSAX is Vanguard's equivalent and it's great but there is a 3K minimum to start and has a small expense ratio.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 10:04 am
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
Safest investment is real estate. As the saying goes “G-d not making more of it”. Use money for down payment on cheapest house you can afford. Let the bank and a tenants pay off the rest.

Perhaps, but it's not liquid. You can't count on converting it to cash on demand.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 1:11 am
Help a novice! With stocks I understand one must follow and research individual stocks in order to know which ones are worthwhile investing in. but how can I find out which mutual funds are good for me to invest in? I want to find out myself, not just ask a financial adviser. Can someone tell me how I go about informing myself?

momaleh

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 5:51 am
Like someone else mentioned, devour informative sites such as the motley fool: fool.com. Once you feel like you understand how the market works, decide if you want to use a money manager, invest in funds, or subscribe to said site for $100/year and make your own decisions.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 5:55 am
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Help a novice! With stocks I understand one must follow and research individual stocks in order to know which ones are worthwhile investing in. but how can I find out which mutual funds are good for me to invest in? I want to find out myself, not just ask a financial adviser. Can someone tell me how I go about informing myself?

No one makes money in the long run by trading individual stocks. Buy an index fund that mirrors the market as a whole. Pretty much any one will do.

baby12x

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 6:08 am
Everyone has good ideas but you really want to start investing by investing in a simple and easy index fund.
THEN, you can start playing around and diversifying and taking risks.

ETA: You didn't say if you have retirement savings yet but actually the first thing you should do is max out your Roth IRA (if you are eligible). You can do this through Vanguard and Fidelity as well.

momaleh

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 6:43 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
No one makes money in the long run by trading individual stocks. Buy an index fund that mirrors the market as a whole. Pretty much any one will do.

This is not true. But Index funds are great for anyone, definitely a novice.

fatso gal

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 7:55 am
I have a wealth front account. You pick you risk level and they do the investing. My DH set it up so I dont know more then that.

amother
Crystal

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 8:51 am
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
I am also looking to invest..and also confused about funds and stocks.

I'm busy trying to research but I feel like I'm going in circles. But I think what I did conclude with is this: Better to invest in an index fund than choose your own stocks, for long term, low risk investment. If you want to be risky and want to increase your money short term then try to choose your own stocks but then you need to really research and be on top of the market daily. or hourly.
IS that sort of correct?

I already opened an account with fidelity. Just not sure what to do next.

It's a full time job to do single stocks. Literally. You need to understand the market well. I started not knowing anything. Made a lot and lost a lot. Now startingto even out since I've learned a lot about the market, how the news plays roles in the stocks, patterns. I do this 16hrs a day from 4am-8pm and it's not easy. So just fresh and see which route is for you

amother
Crystal

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 8:54 am

Sooo not true. It's insane money opportunity but you must! Know how to read charts and follow the market. Must must must

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 3:05 pm

there are so many index funds! I too opened an account with fidelity and dont know where to go from there. what should I look for in an index fund to know which ones reflect my level of risk and potential return?

imanotmommy

Post Sun, Jul 04 2021, 4:59 pm
Do Vanguard and Fidelity charge commission if you buy/sell online?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics