Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Shtisel - WITH spoilers :) including season 3
  Previous  1  2  3 74 75  76  77  Next

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 10:42 pm
IIRC, they were engaged when they were younger, broke up and then met again recently. They decided to marry and wanted him to marry them. Shulem had been his Chosson coach back then.

(Did I get all that right?)

ETA - was the groom the one who sold her the winning lottery ticket, or am I imagining that?

lech lecha08

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 2:04 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
IIRC, they were engaged when they were younger, broke up and then met again recently. They decided to marry and wanted him to marry them. Shulem had been his Chosson coach back then.

(Did I get all that right?)

ETA - was the groom the one who sold her the winning lottery ticket, or am I imagining that?

I don't think Shulem was his chassan teacher. The man is Sucher, Devora's brother. Back in season 1, Akiva lived with him briefly but he had screaming nightmares from PTSD from being in the army

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 9:51 am
lech lecha08 wrote:
I don't think Shulem was his chassan teacher. The man is Sucher, Devora's brother. Back in season 1, Akiva lived with him briefly but he had screaming nightmares from PTSD from being in the army

And this Nechama wanted to marry him with screaming nightmares?

Where did the millions come from? Without subtitles Im missing stuff.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 10:53 am
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
And this Nechama wanted to marry him with screaming nightmares?

Where did the millions come from? Without subtitles Im midding stuff.

Nechama won the lottery (I think she bought the winning ticket from Sucher- he had a kiosk)..
She might not have known about the past screaming nightmares
FWIW, she was married all this time, got divorced and hadn’t seen him since she was younger

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 10:53 am
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
Nechama won the lottery (I think she bought the winning ticket from Sucher- he had a kiosk)..
FWIU, she was married all this time, got divorced and hadn’t seen him since she was younger

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 11:02 am
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
FWIW, she was married all this time, got divorced and hadn’t seen him since she was younger

But when Shulem brought up marriage in Season 3, Episode 2, she said she only loved one person in her life... I think.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 11:04 am
I just watched Season 3, Show 1, without English subtitles.

I didnt catch Shulem explaining what the relationship is between the wealthy couple who came to see Shulem, how they know each other, what the connection is, etc.

Tia.

They are not a "wealthy" couple.
The man is "Sucher" , or Isachar (as she likes to call him. )
Sucher is the brother of Devorah, Shulem's late wife, which makes him Shulem's brother in law.

Sucher was introduced already in Season One as an embittered older bachelor who had been an illuy in his youth, gotten engaged and then broke the engagement. He subsequently went into the army and essentially his life was never the same. He became a "mizrochnik", never married and suffered from anxiety. His kalla obstensibly went on to marry and is today a grandmother of many.

Now, we are introduced to Nechama, who was Sucher's ertswhile kalla. The insinuation is that she is alone (widowed?) and she met Sucher while buying a lottery ticket. They fall in love again and decide to marry. They come to Shulem to share their good news.

She happens to have won the lottery, and Shulem gets excited about that. Later on we see what happens to that.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 11:09 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
They are not a "wealthy" couple.
The man is "Sucher" , or Isachar (as she likes to call him. )
Sucher is the brother of Devorah, Shulem's late wife, which makes him Shulem's brother in law.

Sucher was introduced already in Season One as an embittered older bachelor who had been an illuy in his youth, gotten engaged and then broke the engagement. He subsequently went into the army and essentially his life was never the same. He became a "mizrochnik", never married and suffered from anxiety. His kalla obstensibly went on to marry and is today a grandmother of many.

Now, we are introduced to Nechama, who was Sucher's ertswhile kalla. The insinuation is that she is alone (widowed?) and she met Sucher while buying a lottery ticket. They fall in love again and decide to marry. They come to Shulem to share their good news.

She happens to have won the lottery, and Shulem gets excited about that. Later on we see what happens to that.

What’s an “illuy”?

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 11:12 am
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
What’s an “illuy”?

Genius in learning.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 11:15 am
Genius in learning.

The point of mentioning that is because back in season one, Akiva was thinking to break off his shidduch. So Shulem pointed to his brother in law as the nebach who had such a great future, but ruined his life when he broke his engagement.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 7:32 pm
I don't remember anyone saying Nechama was divorced, or anything about grandchildren either.

essie14

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 1:37 am
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
I don't remember anyone saying Nechama was divorced, or anything about grandchildren either.

She's definitely divorced and she wears a shaitel.

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 4:05 am
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:

No. Its left up to the viewers imagination.
When we first hear about her back in Season One, Shulem tells Kiva that the kalla went on to marry and is today a grandmother. (He also could fabricated these details, as he so often does, when he is trying to convince someone to do something. )

But when we meet her in Season 3, we dont know what happened to her husband and we don't see any kids.

So she could have been divorced or widowed.

Mollie

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 9:20 pm
Anyone else think Ruchami is dead in the finale? The way the scene was immediately after all the dead relatives around the table, and she stared weirdly into the camera in the last shot... that is my take

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 12:55 am
Mollie wrote:
Anyone else think Ruchami is dead in the finale? The way the scene was immediately after all the dead relatives around the table, and she stared weirdly into the camera in the last shot... that is my take
No, not at all. And I am in a face book group all about shtisel Smile and it was said that someone asked the writers and they said that ruchami is definitely alive.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 5:19 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
No, not at all. And I am in a face book group all about shtisel Smile and it was said that someone asked the writers and they said that ruchami is definitely alive.

Well I read somewhere that season 4 is in the works, so we will find out soon enough if ahe is alive (hopefully).

To the poster who thought that Ruchami is dead, you are by far not the only one who thinks so. If you scroll back a few pages here, it was widely discussed. I think it's kind of left up to the viewer. Those who want a happy ending can see it that way, and those who think there are too many holes, can imagine she is dead. It's up for interpretation at this point.

Personally, my theory for saying that she is alive has to do with the devices that that the Shtisel producers have used until now. Until now, we have had many scenes where dead people have been part of a scene, but only in the person's imagination. For example, all those times that Libi is seen in season 3 were all in Kiva's head. However, in each of those scenes, though we can hear and see Libi, she doesn't actually affect reality. So we see that when the baby cries in Episode 1, Kiva goes to get her, while Libi sits there passively.
So, to keep things cinsistent, if Ruchami was really dead in the last scene, they would have had Chanina or Gitty holding the baby, or the baby in a crib, while Gitty looked on. Instead they have Ruchami holding the baby. If she is really just a mirage, who is holding the baby?

dancingqueen

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 5:26 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:

So why did she look at the camera like that and say “yes”.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 5:35 am
dancingqueen wrote:

I don't belive the story that someone asked the writers if Ruchami is alive and they said yes. I believe they purposely left it vague.

I think they had her looking at the camera to add to the mystery.

Someone posted a link to "over lamesech" a few pages back. It's a fascinating critique on the series, well worth the read. The author explores this question and says that the theme of the last episode is that "not every story is for everyone", which is a line Rachelli says to Shulem in the last episode. And the author says that it also applies to the story of shtisel. Not everyone could handle a story that ends in the death of a young main character. So there are different stories for different people.

Mollie

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 5:41 am
dancingqueen wrote:

The vacant look into the camera was definitely strange. What was it trying to convey if not that she was dead?

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 5:45 am
I think ruhami looking into th escreen was her telling us that, yes, you can have your happily ever after.
And as for season 4, Ive read that it is still up in the air.
I really hope they dont make another season. 1 & 2 were great. 3 was eh, not as great and I think if they make another season it will be even worse, to be honest.
Page 75 of 77   Previous  1  2  3 74 75  76  77  Next Recent Topics