Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What price range should we be going for?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 7:18 pm
Hi,
We are rooting for you!!

1) get on WIC. No Shame. You are who it was created for. (So am I!) Your tax dollars are paying for it. It will cover a certain amount of (some of these too little and some of these too much of) items such as
Milk
Tuna
Cheese
Formula
Baby food
Peanut butter, beans
Cereal
Fruits veg
Juice
Whole grain bread
I live oot, so some of those we can't find wic cholov yisroel, etc. But I'm assuming everything I'd available in BP

WIC stands for women, infant, children
The benefits are for families under a certain income level with women who are pregnant or nursing within first year, and children up until age 5. Each person that qualifies for WIC (you and your kids under5) get a certain amount of food.

2) if you qualify for food stamps. Get it! No shame!! It's a dollar amount that's put on a card (like a credit card) monthly, and the$ rolls over to the next month.
The $ amount is based on income level and household size.
Use it to help pay for the food not covered by wic.

3) WIC is very easy to get into. DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT spend money getting helped with the forms!!! They are SO basic!!!
food stamps are a little more paperwork. DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT spend money getting helped with the forms!!!
Where I live, an agudah office helps clarify everything for you for FREE.
If no organization in BP does it for FREE, reach out to us imas, and we will help you.

4) it sounds like your income is not enough for where you live.
There are probably frum free services that can give you financial advice. (Is mesilah free?)
You and your husband should meet with a financial advisor together.

5) Increase income. We can help you brainstorm ideas. Others on this thread already did

(And this is taking me so long to write that I bet others have said the same as I before I hit submit!!! Here goes...)

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 7:31 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
Great thanks everyone! I’ll see if my husband can get time off so we can go somewhere together to help us apply for food stamps and wic.
I’d love to start babysitting again, but again I will have my son with me, and in September I am due for this baby, so I’ll have to take at the most 5-6 weeks off after the birth.

There's no need for him to take off.
I got WIC through Yeled V'Yalda in BP (The whole ordeal took place over the phone; no in-person due to COVID). You can have your husband take care of the phone conversation. They'll tell you exactly which docs you need. (send it via email).

I got SNAP online. This is the link (https://a069-access.nyc.gov/accesshra/login). Create an account. answer the questions. (you can make your husband do it, if that's easier). Someone will call you to follow up and you will iyh get a card in the mail.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 7:54 pm
Mesila is the name of the organization that advices re budgeting and money matters.

yidisheh mama

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 8:16 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
Yeah the person who told me about yeled vyalda told me that was the price to send in an application and then 180 a year to be certified again, whatever that means, earns way more than I do was just copying what she said. So to her 250 is cheap. To me that’s a lot of $ and I told her so and she was like “so don’t get it then” 🥴

I’m not even sure what she is lol. She was the lady who arranged my husbands papers and immigration stuff (so he can be a US citizen— he is Hungarian but BH has his green card now.) but for sure! I’d never ever do that. It feels wrong to lie. Idk why she would tell me to do that.

I know someone that used Yeled for Medicaid/food stamps enrollment, and she wasn't charged. As far as I know, Yeled V'Yalda provides this service for free to the client, as they have a contract with the DOH for facilitated enrollment and get paid by the govt for it. Correct me if I'm wrong.
If you're looking to pay someone to take care of it, CJC does it for a $50 fee per application. (50 for FS, another 50 for medicaid). PM me if you need the number and I'll try to get it for you.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 8:54 pm
Definitely apply for wic. It’s really easy and a help. Call Yeled Vyalda.

Nachas Healthnet can help
You apply for food stamps.

We’re all rooting for you.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 9:00 pm
Op please update us

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 9:38 pm
yidisheh mama wrote:
I know someone that used Yeled for Medicaid/food stamps enrollment, and she wasn't charged. As far as I know, Yeled V'Yalda provides this service for free to the client, as they have a contract with the DOH for facilitated enrollment and get paid by the govt for it. Correct me if I'm wrong.
If you're looking to pay someone to take care of it, CJC does it for a $50 fee per application. (50 for FS, another 50 for medicaid). PM me if you need the number and I'll try to get it for you.

This. I got WIC through yeled v'yalda free of charge

Einikel

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 9:39 pm

I saw this ad and thought of you. Don’t know if it’s interesting but I figured I’d put it out there.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 10:19 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
Yes he wants to be a bus driver
His plan is
Be a car service driver serving heimish people, then work on getting a bus drivers license. I think he would have to train for that too. But first I would like him to get comfortable with driving around Brooklyn. His road test is this Friday iyH

Op I think a steady job will work better for your family at this point. Especially that you’re having the baby and will have many expenses.
As a car service driver, the pay is unsteady and you will have lots of new expenses- car, insurance, gas, tolls etc... it can easily add up to another 800-1000 a month. (Insurance for a new driver in the city is very expensive and driving around locally all day will use lots of gas)
Make sure it’s something your budget can handleS
Btw for those suggesting she should move away from bp- life isn’t necessarily cheaper in monsey or Lakewood- you just spend on different things. Tuition is cheaper here and she can do without a car.
Please go to a heimish organization to help you- they will tell you exactly which papers you need and will answer all your questions and get it done for you.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 10:57 pm
Definitely don't pay for this. There are plenty organizations that do it for free. UJO in Williamsburg , Naches Health etc on 48 Street and more.

For all of them, you'll need the same documentation:

1 - Proof of birth and citizenship: This would be a copy of all your birth certificates, passports or in uyour husband's case his green card

2 - Copy of everyone's social security card

3 - Proof of residence and rent paid: This would be a letter from the landlord stating that you, your husband and your son live in this apartment and how much rent you pay.

4 - Letter from pediatrician stating that your son, birthrate xxx, resides with you and your husband

5 - Copy of a recent utility bill - gas or electric

6 - Proof of income for everyone in the household - copies of your husband's last 4 pays tubs and a letter from your husband's job stating that your husband, so # xxxx, is employed by them as xyz, works x amt of hours a week, gets paid a salary of $xxx and itemize the salary and deductions for the past month.

7 - if you have a checking account, they'll need a copy of your last statement.

It seems overwhelming but just work your way down the list slowly to put it together and then take it to one of those agencies.

If I remember correctly, you should bring a doctor's note that your pregnant with your due date. I think you then get approved very quickly, you may not even need all the paperwork immediately

PeanutMama

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 11:57 pm
Thanks! My husband will try to take off but can’t 100% promise. But he said he’ll help me with the food stamps and wic.

I guess I do need to go to the pediatrician to get my son’s records. Do I need to ask my ob for records too? How do I ask for it? My appointment was yesterday:(

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 12:11 am
you don't need any medical records. The letter from the pediatricians office will just say your son, whose birthday is xyz lives with you and your husband and is a patient at this office. Your letter from the ob will say ur pregnant and ur due date. All these drs offices are very familiar with these letters. They are asked for them all the time for many reasons. ( our accountant requires it every year for tax return, for instance)

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 12:12 am
Just call the doctors office and say you need a letter stating the above and have them fax it to you or pick it up.

PeanutMama

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 12:13 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
you don't need any medical records. The letter from the pediatricians office will just say your son, whose birthday is xyz lives with you and your husband and is a patient at this office. Your letter from the ob will say ur pregnant and ur due date. All these drs offices are very familiar with these letters. They are asked for them all the time for many reasons. ( our accountant requires it every year for tax return, for instance)

Do I need to call them to get these letters or go to them in person and ask for a letter? I go to willi for my OBGYN appointments

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 12:14 am
Also, very important- make yourself a special folder and keep a copy of everything you give them. Many documents you will have to give again when you recertification the case - usually every 6 months

PeanutMama

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 12:24 am
Thanks! We have a couple folders Bh

About the job, would it make sense to work for about 5 months then have the baby then be off for like 6-10 weeks after birth then go back to work? I would not know what to do with the 2 children by then
Who would care for them? That’s the main thing I’m worried about. Is it possible to afford a babysitter or playgroup on the amount of $ we are making now?

If only there were work from home jobs!!!

I have a friend in willi who would watch for free but it’s a hassle traveling back and forth.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 12:40 am
You definitely shouldn't schlep ur kids to Williamsburg to babysit. That would be extremely difficult. You need a babysitter local.

You could work and take off when u have the baby. You would probably get disability pay for tnose 10 weeks

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 4:06 am
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:

About the job, would it make sense to work for about 5 months then have the baby then be off for like 6-10 weeks after birth then go back to work? I would not know what to do with the 2 children by then
Who would care for them? That’s the main thing I’m worried about. Is it possible to afford a babysitter or playgroup on the amount of $ we are making now?

I have a friend in willi who would watch for free but it’s a hassle traveling back and forth.

There are a TON of work from home jobs! But you said before in other places that you are not suited for a computer based job. Still, you can take in a steady babysitting client in your home. Even taking in ONE baby would bring in a nice income, and you’d be able to have your kids at home also. You can start this now even. Lets say you work for the next 5 months watching a baby in your home. I don't know the going rate by you so lets say you charge $8/hour (usually you pay less to send your baby to someone else's home). If the baby came to you for 5 hours a day, thats $40/day. 4 days a week is $160/week and $640/month. Thats $3,200 for the 5 months!

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 4:11 am
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:

People often need summer childcare, when schools are closed.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 5:41 am
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:

Can anyone here guide on childcare vouchers?

If you are able to get vouchers that will cover the cost for babysitters, daycare and tuition
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics