Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Do you miss material things after making Aliyah?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 7:35 am
Title says it all.
When I came here in 1993 the shopping was very meager and I missed a lot of things that I was used to. What was it like for you?
Please state when you come and which continent/country.
Happy independence day! Sunny

essie14

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 7:56 am
Came from the US 10 years ago.
I really feel like I can get anything I need. Israeli shopping has really stepped up its games especially when Corona started and everyone was in lockdown.
Pre-Corona I always had a lot of visitors who were able to bring things as well and we have also lessened what we bring over every year.
We got used to what's available here.

Debbie

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 8:02 am
There are definitely material things I miss.
One being a steam cleaner for the floors, I can't cope with the Israeli method.
The other things are certain food items such as tinned salmon which is very occasionally available in Shufersal.
Other than that most things I need and want are available here.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 8:13 am
Aliyah 6 years ago. My tastes have changed, and I've found that I'm a lot happier with what I have. I "need" a lot less here, because there's less pressure.

It's not so much things that I can't get here. I can get things here, but it's a matter of proximity. I don't want to have to take the train to Tel Aviv just to find something. I either do without, order online, or get creative with what I have. (I have an ongoing love/hate relationship with the post office.)

I think the biggest thing I miss, is CBD oil. It's perfectly legal in all US states, but here you have to jump through a million hoops to get a prescription. When I first moved here I brought 2 bottles with me. Later on I found out that if I had been caught it would have been a FELONY! Surprised

sequoia

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 8:16 am
Yeah I didnโ€™t wanna go to Ukrainian jail so no CBD oil for me ๐Ÿ˜ข

Meanwhile here you can buy ANYTHING over the counter. Donโ€™t need a prescription.

So ridiculous.

Elfrida

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 8:22 am
Debbie wrote:

The other things are certain food items such as tinned salmon which is very occasionally available in Shufersal.

That must be a matter of locality and demand. It's available almost all the time in the makolet across the road from me.

Like most things. They might not be commonly available, but if you look long enough you can find them.

Debbie

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 8:28 am
Elfrida wrote:
That must be a matter of locality and demand. It's available almost all the time in the makolet across the road from me.

Like most things. They might not be commonly available, but if you look long enough you can find them.

I have looked enough in quite a few shops for tinned salmon and only seen it in one supermarket; it's nothing to do with looking enough, if something is unavailable that won't change no matter how hard one looks.
As for the steam cleaner I've yet to find anywhere that sells them, we tried ordering on line but no luck there either.
I'm thinking of going to one of the electrical goods shops and asking if they can order me the steam cleaner.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 8:57 am
Debbie wrote:
One being a steam cleaner for the floors, I can't cope with the Israeli method.
Other than that most things I need and want are available here.

I googled steam cleaners, seems possible to find them, but not cheap.

Debbie

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 9:01 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I googled steam cleaners, seems possible to find them, but not cheap.

I've also seen them on line and we have tried to order but with no success.
I rather wish I had the one I bought in UK shipped over!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 9:06 am
Debbie wrote:
I've also seen them on line and we have tried to order but with no success.
I rather wish I had the one I bought in UK shipped over!

I googled tinned salmon and up came tons of it. For cats! LOL LOL [quote]

Debbie

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 9:10 am
[quote="amother [ OP ]"]I googled tinned salmon and up came tons of it. For cats! LOL LOL
Quote:

I actually want to get a cat, so at least it will get the tinned salmon! ๐Ÿ˜„

Elfrida

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 9:10 am
[quote="amother [ OP ]"]I googled tinned salmon and up came tons of it. For cats! LOL LOL
Quote:

No, my makolet definitely sells the human version!

I don't often buy it because its expensive, but enough people do to make it worth his while carrying it.

Debbie

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 9:11 am
Elfrida wrote:
No, my makolet definitely sells the human version!

I don't often buy it because its expensive, but enough people do to make it worth his while carrying it.

Where do you live Elfrida?

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 9:12 am
I found canned salmon at a Russian supermarket near where I pick up my mail.

It was probably the only kosher thing in there! I bought several, and I have salmon patties in my fridge right now. Very Happy

Elfrida

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 9:13 am
Debbie wrote:
I actually want to get a cat, so at least it will get the tinned salmon! ๐Ÿ˜„

I can offer you a cat as well...

twizzlers1

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 9:18 am
You can pretty much get everything that you can get in America here. And if not Amazon and many other places ship here. It might come at a higher price but if you want it badly enough you can usually find it.

Debbie

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 9:18 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I found canned salmon at a Russian supermarket near where I pick up my mail.

It was probably the only kosher thing in there! I bought several, and I have salmon patties in my fridge right now. Very Happy

Frantic Frummie we have no shortage of Russian people here in Tzfat, but I've get to see a Russian supermarket here.
When I do find tinned salmon I'll be sure to stock up..I love salmon patties; we call them rissoles.

Debbie

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 9:19 am
Elfrida wrote:
I can offer you a cat as well...

Aww she's beautiful ๐Ÿ˜

Elfrida

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 9:22 am
Debbie wrote:
Where do you live Elfrida?

Missed this earlier. I live in Yerushalayim, and I see from your post that you've in Sfat, so it might not be too easy for you drop into my local makolet...

If you're coming to Yerushalayim for anything, pm me and I'll give you the address.

Debbie

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 9:32 am
Elfrida wrote:
Missed this earlier. I live in Yerushalayim, and I see from your post that you've in Sfat, so it might not be too easy for you drop into my local makolet...

If you're coming to Yerushalayim for anything, pm me and I'll give you the address.

Thank you so much.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions