Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
From Strong and Healthy- To Chronic Condition and Scared

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 3:49 pm
I am under 30, and was diagnosed with sudden onset Type 2 diabetes last year. Other than being overweight I never had any other risk factors. I was always on top of my health, going for yearly checkups and bloodwork, etc... This hit me really hard. (I was diagnosed a couple of months after having COVID, so right now I'm blaming that for wreaking havoc on my body, but-I dunno...)

Of course I was devastated by my diagnosis, and with determination, I managed to bring my blood sugar levels down to a stable level, with a perfect A1C of below 5.6. I dropped about 15 lbs.

Although I'm happy with the results for now, this lifestyle is not sustainable for me. I cannot eat any carbs, and can't see myself not eating carbs for the rest of my life, being that I'm so young, and I iyh have a long life ahead of me. I am also petrified of issues Diabetics get, like the feet issues, eye issues- It's all so scary..

I keep thinking about doing the Gastric Sleeve. This issue is, my BMI is 30, and the most I can probably lose before becoming emaciated is 45-50 lbs max, which at this point in my life doesn't seem realistic to try on my own. I've been struggling all my adult life.

With a preexisting Condition, you can get surgery with a BMI of 35, so I'm told. (And being that there's a health issue at play here Can't Believe It , I cannot just binge eat until I reach that number.)

I'm wondering how to go about trying to get surgery done with this BMI. Are there any doctors who do this?

Have you or anyone you know reversed their diabetes by doing the sleeve?

Where do I start?

I'm so confused. Any help would be appreciated.

DVOM

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 3:53 pm
Look into OA. Gastric sleeve has a terrible track record. I have been at a healthy weight for about 8 years. I started when I was 30, your age, and I hope, please God, to never go back. I don't even want to.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 3:57 pm
DVOM wrote:
Look into OA. Gastric sleeve has a terrible track record. I have been at a healthy weight for about 8 years. I started when I was 30, your age, and I hope, please God, to never go back. I don't even want to.

Does OA Require you to be off carbs for a lifetime? I'm struggling with that idea.

browser

Post Tue, Apr 06 2021, 4:12 pm
Hugs
I want to say not doing a surgery to put your body under more stress.
Your hormones and glands may have been affected by covid
I recommend seeing a naturopath who can help your body rebuild and heal.
I used one after I had covid and needed help with some of the effects.
Your body can heal iyH, my friend
You can pm me if you want more info, or a recommendation

DVOM

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 4:40 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Does OA Require you to be off carbs for a lifetime? I'm struggling with that idea.

Nope. I eat potatoes, barley, oats, brown rice, ezekiel bread...

But the beauty of the program is that food becomes less and less important as a source of joy, support.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 7:47 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
(I was diagnosed a couple of months after having COVID, so right now I'm blaming that for wreaking havoc on my body, but-I dunno...)

OP you may not be off the mark. Many research articles pointing to sudden onset diabetes diagnosed in people post covid.

"Why are people developing diabetes after having COVID-19? | Ohio State Medical Center" https://wexnermedical.osu.edu/.....etes.

"New diabetes cases linked to covid-19 - The Washington Post" https://www.washingtonpost.com.....e=amp

"Doctors probe whether COVID-19 is causing diabetes | Article [AMP] | Reuters" https://mobile.reuters.com/art.....741ET

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 10:18 am
One of the ways in which covid is causing long term effects is via the central nervous system. Many of these effects can be traced back to autonomic dysfunction/dysautonomia/POTS. One of the major roles of the autonomic nervous system via the hypotathalamus pituitary adrenal axis is regulating insulin, blood sugar, weight, inflammation. All of which link back to diabetes. So while diet will be a big piece in reversing this, treating dysautonomia and inflammation might take you even further and allow you to consume some carbs without ill effect.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 11:28 am
Why is it unsustainable? Do you use sweeteners? Eat processed foods? Do you eat fruit? Before trying drastic measures, take out of your diet what could be causing cravings. That is more sensical than taking on the risk of surgery when your diabetes appears under control.

ALSO, are you on insulin? Because insulin causes cravings. If you’re type 2 you may be able to control with food alone if you keep it very tight.

I’ve been doing this for nearly four years for the same reason. I am very tight with the types of food that I eat. I eat until satiated. I add salt to my food or take salt pills if I have a headache ( indicating dehydration) or feel bla.

I’m currently in a 16/8 pattern of intermittent fasting which also helps.

With regard to blood sugar injury, keep your blood sugar stable ( and in target) and the Damage should not happen. I got retinopathy even before I had type 2 diagnosed and was told to aim for stability because it optimized healing. The comfort that having stable insulin reactions brought made this sustainable. Happy to talk if you want a sounding board.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 12:00 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
One of the ways in which covid is causing long term effects is via the central nervous system. Many of these effects can be traced back to autonomic dysfunction/dysautonomia/POTS. One of the major roles of the autonomic nervous system via the hypotathalamus pituitary adrenal axis is regulating insulin, blood sugar, weight, inflammation. All of which link back to diabetes. So while diet will be a big piece in reversing this, treating dysautonomia and inflammation might take you even further and allow you to consume some carbs without ill effect.

Can you please tell me where to start looking for treatment?? I'm so in the dark ...

Is this something that heals on its own with time?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 12:02 pm
Good for you op! I would say take it day by day look at it that way and see how things progress. Keep up the great work! Awesome achievement!
Refuah shleimah!

have you tried working with a dr/nutritionist expert in this area/diabetes 2?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 12:06 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:

I'm also looking at the symptoms for this, and doesn't look like I have any of the symptoms. My heart rate is fine, I know this cuz I wear a fitbit. My blood pressure is perfect and yes I'm fatigued but I always was fatigued.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 12:11 pm
andrea levy wrote:
Why is it unsustainable? Do you use sweeteners? Eat processed foods? Do you eat fruit? Before trying drastic measures, take out of your diet what could be causing cravings. That is more sensical than taking on the risk of surgery when your diabetes appears under control.

ALSO, are you on insulin? Because insulin causes cravings. If you’re type 2 you may be able to control with food alone if you keep it very tight.

I’ve been doing this for nearly four years for the same reason. I am very tight with the types of food that I eat. I eat until satiated. I add salt to my food or take salt pills if I have a headache ( indicating dehydration) or feel bla.

I’m currently in a 16/8 pattern of intermittent fasting which also helps.

With regard to blood sugar injury, keep your blood sugar stable ( and in target) and the Damage should not happen. I got retinopathy even before I had type 2 diagnosed and was told to aim for stability because it optimized healing. The comfort that having stable insulin reactions brought made this sustainable. Happy to talk if you want a sounding board.

I'm on insulin for Dawn phenomenon only, which surprisingly are better some weeks than others and can sometimes be off it for an extended period of time until it kicks in again and I need to start again.

I'm a young mother and need energy, I've been keto in the past and that made me into a nervous wreck. I need fruit and whole grain. I'm ok with not eating processed foods for the most part. Beans, sweet potato brown rice, I can't bear the thought of never eating these again.

My blood sugar is mostly in target, here and there I can get a high, but it comes right back down.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 12:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm also looking at the symptoms for this, and doesn't look like I have any of the symptoms. My heart rate is fine, I know this cuz I wear a fitbit. My blood pressure is perfect and yes I'm fatigued but I always was fatigued.
you don’t have to have the complete presentation or qualify clinically for the diagnosis to have some level of autonomic dysfunction going on.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise