Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Therapist wants to try EMDR- anyone with experience?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 8:32 am
Ds10 is getting therapy and the therapist just asked my permission to do EMDR on him. He has social anxieties, and she feels it will help him. But she told me that if it's done by someone who doesn't have experience, it can cause problems. She says she is trained in it, and she has had success. I am a bit nervous about this.

Does anyone have advice or experience?

seeker

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 8:44 am
You can ask for professional references, I guess. It is well known to have positive effects in situations that are resistant to talk therapy. One piece of advice that you can take it fwiw because it's just my personal experience and maybe others would disagree - have her talk with DS before doing it about what it is for and make sure he's OK with it. When I was about that age a therapist tried that on me but there wasn't a proper discussion beforehand so I was very resistant and suspicious. Of course it got nowhere and it made me so uncomfortable that I refused to go back. There was nothing uncomfortable about the technique itself; what made me uncomfortable was that this lady was doing something to me that I didn't understand - I thought she was trying to hypnotize me or something. Years later I learned about EMDR and realized that's what it was.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 8:48 am
She told me she won't start right away because she has to prepare him first.

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 8:55 am
amother wrote:
Ds10 is getting therapy and the therapist just asked my permission to do EMDR on him. He has social anxieties, and she feels it will help him. But she told me that if it's done by someone who doesn't have experience, it can cause problems. She says she is trained in it, and she has had success. I am a bit nervous about this.

I started EMDR 2 months ago after getting stuck in therapy. But I've been using my therapists colleague for this who specializes in this full time and has a lot of experience. It's been life changing BH!

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 8:57 am
amother wrote:

I don't know how it would work on a child but I did it for myself and it was a game changer. Pure emdr works and doesnt necessarily have to be done with the eyes, it can be done with tapping on the body or other ways. It works when done correctly but many therapists incorporate other techniques such as talk therapy which delays the healing process and didn't work for me when tried. I am still not where I want to be in my life but I couldn't continue with the therapist I had for various reasons and am looking for a new therapist. If you can share the name of your ds therapist I would appreciate it.

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 9:04 am
amother wrote:
I started EMDR 2 months ago after getting stuck in therapy. But I've been using my therapists colleague for this who specializes in this full time and has a lot of experience. It's been life changing BH!

I am looking for a emdr therapist and would appreciate it if you can provide the name of your therapist as well. Thank you!

amother
Black

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 9:17 am
I did EMDR, BH was very successful. I found it a very efficient, effective, and non invasive healing technique.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 9:30 am
Her name is Yehudis Wolofsky. We've been seeing her for a couple of months and are happy.

https://www.judytherapyspot.com/index.html

amother
Indigo

Post Sat, Feb 09 2019, 4:37 pm
EMDR can be very effective if used properly. The client has to be ready and prepared and it can do wonderful things. It's a good sign that she's not jumping into this right away. You pretty much try everything else first then do EMDr to take care of what's left.

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 9:27 am
Bumping this to maybe get the attention - can you provide feedback on yehudis Wolofsky?

write on

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 11:28 am
EMDR is a highly effective, research-based therapy that is usually used to treat trauma and PTSD. You can read all about it here: https://www.emdr.com/what-is-emdr/

There are two levels of training in EMDR and you should ideally see a therapist who has completed both levels and is highly experienced (and has been properly supervised by a certified EMDR supervisor)in this amazing protocol.

Hatzlacha!

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 11:29 am
Actually looking for more information on the specific therapist
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)