Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Have you ever moved? Please share your advice!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 11:44 am
I'm moving soon and looking for all the tips I can get. Anything regarding packing, unpacking, movers, moving day....
Please share whatever you've learned from your experience!

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 11:52 am
I just moved ....
divide the packing into smaller jobs that way it’s not so overwhelming. Label each box and put a diff color tape depending which room it goes to. Have the movers pack your dishes (kitchen) it makes the job so much easier and less stressful. Have everything done before the day of the move. You only want to have to pack your linen day of. I’m still unpacking it’s hard but again divide the job and have a realistic goal of when you want things finished. Good luck!

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 11:52 am
Pack with paper, not bubble wrap.

tweety1

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 11:54 am
If you pack organized, unpacking is so much easier. It might take you longer but it's so worth it. I knew exactly what is in every single box. If it was an odds n ends box I knew which odd n ends were. I wrote onto the box what it contains. Exp, toiletries, and soap/shampoo color coded the boxes to the room. I bought a pack of multi colored tape. Each box had a color and each room had a color. The movers put each box into the room it belonged to according to the colors.
Accept any help your being offered. Even if at this minute you don't know what that person will do first accept and let the person know you accepted the offer and will let her know what you'll need.
Don't forget to eat! Moving day is very exhausting.
Oh and did I mention pack organized? It was a lifesaver for me.
Books and seforim I didn't pack in boxes. I bought commercial size Saran wrap I think by home Depot or Lowe's and wrapped it around.

Bleemee

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 11:56 am
My piece of advice would be to ruthlessly declutter as you go along. Less to pack. Less to unpack.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 12:01 pm
tweety1 wrote:

Books and seforim I didn't pack in boxes. I bought commercial size Saran wrap I think by home Depot or Lowe's and wrapped it around.

Wait, I need to hear more about this. I can just wrap all the seforim in the bookcases? It won't all fly out?

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 12:08 pm
We labeled each box with a number and the room it was going to. We had a master list of what was in each box so it was easy to find things. When we got to the house we put a paper on each room door so the movers would know which was the dining room or the kid's room or the guest room or the office.

We packed our valuables ourselves and kept them with us in our car. We also rolled up all the linen and pillows and put them in large garbage bags to take with us in the car so we could make up the beds as soon as possible. The last thing you want at the end of the day when you're exhausted and cranky and possibly have children who are the same is to have to start digging through boxes to find everyone's bedding and PJs and toothbrushes so bring those with you in a separate bag.

Moving is hot and thirsty work so make sure to bring plenty of water or other drinks in a cooler or put them in the fridge immediately when you get there. Buy extra for the movers to be nice.

Find out how much you're expected to tip the movers so you have enough cash.

Unpack as quickly as possible or you'll have at least one box of odds and ends that will end up shoved in a closet for years until you decide you might as well throw it all out because you haven't needed anything from it in all that time.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 12:38 pm
My sister moved a year before I did. She had labels that said things like kitchen, dining room, master bedroom, bedroom 1, bedroom 2, etc....and she gave me the leftovers. It was really helpful.

I moved 3 1/2 years ago. It was a nightmare (the move. B"H the neighborhood and our new home is wonderful). Took all day. Was exhausting. I wasn't really finished packing, some things I ended up doing myself over the next few days. Packing seemed endless.

I know this sounds nuts but when packing, one layer of taping up the boxes will do. Some of our boxes were very taped up, and opening them was so frustrated. My DH had enlisted a special-needs teen he is involved with, to help him pack his Seforim and our books and a few other things. Kept the boy busy, but boy, he enjoyed taping things, and he taped and retaped. Getting them open was...fun.

I didn't do my kitchen with the movers. I got these huge grey rubber bins from a G'mach, and I just loaded my dishes into them. I took them over to my house in my car, and unpacked them right into the cabinets (wiped cabinets down first, of course.) Went back home and repeated. Pots, cutlery, etc....When we moved, my kitchen was basically set up. Last trip was my china, which I unloaded after we moved because they go in the buffet, and I had to wait for that. Not one thing broke, B"H.

Make a bag with each person's bedding and pj's. This way bed can easily be made in your new home, and everyone has where to sleep. Have a box with towels and toiletries. You will all need/want showers (especially if you have teens). Trust me.

Have a food/supper plan. Figure that moving will take longer than expected, and everyone will be hungry. Have a plan for the next morning. (DH's Chavrusah sent us a surprise stunning breakfast the next morning. I honestly don't know how I would've managed without it. Worked for school lunches and snacks too. But have a plan! I admit I didn't.)

tweety1

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 12:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Wait, I need to hear more about this. I can just wrap all the seforim in the bookcases? It won't all fly out?

Lol. No. I took them out of the bookcases and made them into bigger piles. But seforim are large and take up space. So instead of using up boxes for them I wrapped them in Saran wrap. It's not much of a job. I had my little kids empty the bookcases, pile them onto the table and just took the roll of Saran wrap and went around a couple of times.

Frumme

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 1:33 pm
Try to declutter as much as you can before the packing and moving process. Trying to declutter while packing will make the process take a lot longer.

fatso gal

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 2:06 pm
Frumme wrote:
Try to declutter as much as you can before the packing and moving process. Trying to declutter while packing will make the process take a lot longer.

This. I told him we should declutter before we pack. He said Na do it together with packing. It never happened. All of the clutter game to the new house and got unpacked.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating