Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
I thought you should know, you have it all wrong!
Previous  1  2

Crookshanks

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 9:02 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
I think they should rename “little t trauma”.
While I understand its context against the “big T trauma” the little t’s can cause huge suffering and when I hear it referred to as “little” it makes me feel invalidated

(For context, I’m talking about subtle childhood
molestation that happened but by bit over a prolonged period of time. So it wasn’t a big one time event but it ruined my life)

I'm pretty sure child molestation is not little t trauma.

zaq

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 3:28 pm
Crookshanks wrote:
Will this ever end!

No. Because every generation has different priorities and sensitivities (new term to replace "hang-ups"), and each generation tries to erase the previous culture and create its own.

Sometimes the changes make sense. Sometimes language is offensive, deliberately or otherwise. "geriatric pregnancy" for example. before that term was coined, women 35+ who were pg for the first time were called "elderly primiparas." If not outright offensive, these terms are at best patronizing. "35+" is clear and factual, not patronizing or judgmental.

Sometimes societal changes make existing language obsolete or inaccurate. "Chairman" "Fireman" "Policeman" no longer make sense when women chair committees, fight fires and enforce the law.

And sometimes change for its own sake it utterly asinine. A life-threatening disorder at birth is not a "birth difference" and this term, far from being helpful, trivializes the situation. "Birth differences" are surgical vs. nonsurgical, medicated vs. nonmedicated, hospital vs. home. In a social sense, they are rich vs. poor, educated family vs. uneducated, urban vs. rural, single-parent vs. two-parent and so on. You don't like the term "defect"? How is having a spinal tube that didn't close not a defect? How is lacking a limb or an organ not a defect? Call it a "developmental error" if you're squeamish, but don't call it just a "difference" because it's not.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 3:55 pm
Most of those changes make perfect sense.

Does anyone really think a woman who is having trouble getting pregnant should be labelled 'barren' or 'infertile'?

chanatron1000

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 4:16 pm
Some of these terms are problematic. But so are many of the replacements, and replacing the terms means assuming that either nobody is offended by the replacements or that their feelings don't matter.

amother
White

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 4:31 pm
STMommy wrote:
Some of y'all are laughing about the geriatric pregnancy name change but being called a woman of "advanced maternal age" and having a "geriatric pregnancy" at age 35 freaked me out enough to make DH and I want to stop having kids after that last one, and now almost a decade later I regret it.

I am sorry for you that you regret it. Sad

amother
White

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 4:31 pm
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette