Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Find wimple in Washington heights
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 12:35 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Hamodia had a beautiful article on wimples, including pictures of Rabbi Akiva Eiger's. Not sure if it's online.''
ETA: OP, sorry if my immediate reaction was annoying.

Lol. I think I posted the link above. I think about it often. How the minhag is connected so far back.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 2:10 pm
I believe KAJ is the repository for vimples in the Heights. I think they took the ones from the late Cong. Ohav Sholaum.
I thought you wanted someone to make you one. There is one lady in the Heights who used to make them, don't know if she still does.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 4:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It was one of 2 smaller Shuls that are now closed. Not the main one. Maybe I’ll call the kehilla office

There were a lot more than 2 yekkish shuls in WH that closed, KAJ was just the most well-known. Shaarei Hatikvah is still there but just barely. There's Washington Heights Congregation which is still in business though they're renting space from Mount Sinai Jewish Center and probably don't have anything stored anywhere. Your best bet is to call the KAJ kehilla.

LeahRivka

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 5:46 am
My father has his from Germany 1932. It is beautiful and about 6 feet long. Colorful cotton embroidery floss on the white cotton. Also has little stitched chuppah, torah, flowers, etc. It is just amazing it survived all these years.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 5:49 am
I learnt something new today!

silbergirl

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 3:59 pm
Love, love, love that topic. I am a Yekke, too. If I were to have a son (unlikely), I would have a wimpel made for him, too.
Just it may turn some heads in the very chasidic community we live in, but my husband is anyway one of the few Ashkenaz daveners and tefillin on chol hamoed guys and we brok on Pesach, so the damage has already been done... Very Happy
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics