Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
How much is normal to spend on flowers for a vort?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 12:24 pm
In NY and we are litvish.
Also if anyone has any pictures of really nice floral arrangements I could see.
The other side is fancier than us so I want to make it nice.

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 12:43 pm
too much. lol.
mazel tov!!

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 12:50 pm
Why don't you ask the florist what the usual amount is? Then you can up it from there if you want.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 1:20 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
Why don't you ask the florist what the usual amount is? Then you can up it from there if you want.

So I asked and she didn't want to give me a number. She said everyone does different.

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 1:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So I asked and she didn't want to give me a number. She said everyone does different.

It can cost anywhere from $650-$750 & up, depending on what you take. There are also some options for $550-$650 but they're less substantial.

SuperWify

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 1:30 pm
Anywhere between $500-1k

rsmey

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 2:23 pm
I asked a few people and they all told me $350-500. And they said you don't have to go more than $350.
For reference, I'm in Boro Park/Flatbush, heimish balabatish family

rsmey

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 2:26 pm
Wait, are you the kallah side or choson? Sorry, was talking as choson's mother. To send over

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 2:28 pm
rsmey wrote:
I asked a few people and they all told me $350-500. And they said you don't have to go more than $350.
For reference, I'm in Boro Park/Flatbush, heimish balabatish family

$350-$500 for flowers for a vort in a hall? For that price you can't get too much of a substantial arrangement. I've never heard of these prices for a vort.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 2:39 pm
Nothing. I've been to vorts and I don't care for it. Nor do most people. Give the money to tzedaka

watergirl

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 2:41 pm
I am not in NY, but I have never seen flowers at a vort other than maybe a bit of something small on the table with the food in like, small bud vases.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 3:14 pm
watergirl wrote:
I am not in NY, but I have never seen flowers at a vort other than maybe a bit of something small on the table with the food in like, small bud vases.

Typically the chosson sends the kallah an elaborate arrangement. It’s not a new thing. I got one 16 yrs ago in Baltimore from my chosson (simple family).

Flowers as centerpieces on a table is not as common - depends on the crowd.

I’m not sure which one OP is referring to.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 3:23 pm
op, we're litvish in Israel. Here, it's pretty standard to send a nice arrangement with a mix of live cut flowers, fake flowers in a vase/nice stand (so after the live flowers die the couple has something left for their home) together with a high class brand-name food processor/stand mixer/other small appliance.

I don't know if that's helpful to you! Maybe others can say if that's considered acceptable in Flatbush, too? It just seems so much more sensible than spending vast sums on a flower arrangement that will last only a week, max.

Mazel tov and lots of Yiddishe nachas!

nechamashifra

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 7:09 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Anywhere between $500-1k

Why?

SuperWify

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 7:16 pm
nechamashifra wrote:
Why?

I don’t know. I didn’t set the standard.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 7:17 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
It can cost anywhere from $650-$750 & up, depending on what you take. There are also some options for $550-$650 but they're less substantial.

Really?. I spent $250 and got a beautiful large arrangement. Florist told me this is the average.

In Monsey.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 9:18 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
$350-$500 for flowers for a vort in a hall? For that price you can't get too much of a substantial arrangement. I've never heard of these prices for a vort.

$350 for one big arrangement addressed to the kallah, from the chosson. It's usually put up on display on a stand/pedestal.
That price does not include flowers for the tables. The vort and decor are usually arranged by the kallah's family.

Mommyg8

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 11:13 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Anywhere between $500-1k

I dont think this is true across the board. You can get very nice flower arrangements for much, much cheaper.

twizzlers1

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 2:17 am
Wow I am shocked again. From a very out of town and live in Israel now. I hear how people are struggling with finances I can't even begin to imagine how somebody could spend hundreds of dollars on flowers. Even if I could afford it I can't imagine spending that kind of money on something that will maybe last a week at best. I don't even like flowers You have to change the water and are more work than they're worth and have to clean out the vase at the end. I am very happy with my fake flowers that I got from IKEA. I have been married for a while but I think I would have been quite upset if My future husband would have spent that kind of money on flowers that would die soon. It would show me that we clearly do not have the same values in common.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics