Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Do you miss material things after making Aliyah?
Previous  1  2  3  4

Reality

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 2:06 pm
Crookshanks wrote:
It stands for Value Added Tax. Beyond that, I don't know

But that doesn't make sense in this context. OP said produce is free of VAT. Why would produce be taxed?

Elfrida

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 2:16 pm
Reality wrote:
But that doesn't make sense in this context. OP said produce is free of VAT. Why would produce be taxed?

It's meant to be on non-essential or luxury items, but the application is rather arbitrary.

I don't know the full details here, but for comparison in England you pay VAT on adult clothes, but not on children's clothes. The logic is that that children are growing and need new clothes on a regular basis - but that doesn't make adult clothes non-essential.

In terms of produce there's a difference between basics like cucumbers and luxuries like lychee, which maybe would be a place to justify VAT.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 3:24 pm
Teomima wrote:
You're right about prices being higher but I will say, and though this isn't comparable by far to shufersal prices, that you can get prescriptions for OTC medication so it is possible to buy ibuprofen and tylenol at the regular subsidized rate rather than the full price OTC rate, and nowadays with kupah apps and digital prescriptions, you can message your doctor for a prescription and pick it up at the pharmacy without having to go to the doctor in person. Just saying this as a PSA in case anyone didn't realize.

As for shoes, I do miss when Payless was here. Affordable wide non-leather shoes...ahh that was nice.

Not sure what you are reffering to. In my kuoat cholim I got a prescription for allergy pills and ibuprofen and that was the cost.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 3:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No offense but I am so happy that I didn't grow up on the US because I am 99% percent sure that I would have had a very hard time to adjust to the difference in prices. Totally get you.

Now that Amazon and other places ship here pills and clothing are really the only issues. I know people who fly every few months. The vast majority of things I buy are pills and clothing, makeup, purses, and stuff for dirt cheap from poshmark. Also DH won't use Israeli quality clothing so ties, undershirts, etc.

The things I buy are extras and not needs, pills and clothing for DH aren't very often - once a year or so it's really not a big deal. We really try to not rely on people coming in. We do happen to have relatives why fly in and out multiple times a year.

But if needed I could totally do without. I love this land. Things are nice if I can get them but I'd make do without if I couldn't.

heidi

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 2:36 am
We've been here 15 years. I still desperately miss Target and Payless. Decent quality at decent prices. And the selection. Oh the selection.
What's weird to me is how my taste has changed. I used to have DH bring me brown sugar from the US. Haven't done that in 10 years. I recently came across a box of Diamond brown sugar and bought it for old times sake. My cookies tasted so weird, not nearly as good as usual LOL

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 2:41 am
I don't miss things, but I do miss conveniences. Packages delivered to the door, not the post office. Making one trip to Target and getting a whole bunch of reasonably priced things all at once, rather than having to go to a bunch of different stores.

But - life here gets easier by the day, and none of these mild annoyances outweighs the joy of living in the land Hashem gave us.

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 3:01 am
Debbie wrote:
Frantic Frummie we have no shortage of Russian people here in Tzfat, but I've get to see a Russian supermarket here.
When I do find tinned salmon I'll be sure to stock up..I love salmon patties; we call them rissoles.

I call Karmiel little Russia. So many stores catering to them too, and so close to צפת!

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 3:20 am
I just thought of a couple of other things.

Basic first aid stuff like antibiotic cream needs a prescription. Every home should have it!

ScotchBrite sponges. Why don't they have cellulose sponges here? I hate the foam ones. They don't last more than a week, and then they just end up in the landfill. Cellulose sponges can be washed in a lingerie bag in the washing machine, or in the dishwasher. You can use them over and over, and then they are mostly biodegradable. (The worn out sponges are great for starting seedlings.)

You can order the sponges on Amazon, but shipping to Israel is $20, and that's just insane.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions