Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Can never go away for shabbos
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 5:34 am
imaima wrote:
Yes that's what's life is like. And you cannot even hope it would stop at two.

If it's too much hustle for you, then explain that you would rather stay at home. I missed a ton of events because of young kids.

I feel like such a snob doing that.
Plus why deprive Dh and the kids of a good time with siblings and cousins?

I think for this one shabbos I'll deal with no sleep and load up on coffee and try to nap.
After that we'll stay home for a good long while.

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 5:52 am
Our kids also don't sleep well when we go away. That's why we don't go away much.

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 5:54 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Infants are easier but I don't go away then because I don't want to expose infants to so many germs so early on, and because nursing an infant in other ppl homes can be really hard (finding a private and comfy place, being dressed for shabbos and having to position myself to nurse vs wearing my comfy clothes at home)

OP, you have to know yourself and do what works for you. Some people are very easygoing, go with the flow type of people and don't let the logistics of nursing and comfort affect them in place of spending a shabbos elsewhere. For some people, a change in the logistics really makes that uneasy and for them it's a hassle to go anywhere.

It's a personality type. It doesn't make staying home the wrong move. Everyone needs to do what works for them. It seems like you though your baby inherited your personality type Smile, so now you have a double dose to deal with - your discomfort and hers.

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 5:58 am
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
OP, you have to know yourself and do what works for you. Some people are very easygoing, go with the flow type of people and don't let the logistics of nursing and comfort affect them in place of spending a shabbos elsewhere. For some people, a change in the logistics really makes that uneasy and for them it's a hassle to go anywhere.

It's a personality type. It doesn't make staying home the wrong move. Everyone needs to do what works for them. It seems like you though your baby inherited your personality type Smile, so now you have a double dose to deal with - your discomfort and hers.

This is on point. We not only go away for shabbos locally, but we travel as much as possible. Road trips, domestic flights, international flights. Jet lag with babies is awful but not enough to keep me home; I’m happier for the experiences I have than the ones I don’t and willing to give up sleep for fun and adventure. But that’s me. Everyone’s different

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 6:02 am
OP, once dc is asleep, is it ok if there's some noise?

For what you described, if possible, I would find a room somewhere in the house that's quiet, even if it's a storage are in the basement. Put dc to bed in the stroller and stay there until dc is solidly asleep. If it works and is safe, leave dc there with the door cracked and come back and check often, until things quiet down and you move the stroller to your room. And if you need to stay there for awhile, bring a book or magazine and read by the cracked door, and your dh and dc get their fun upstairs and you get quiet.

Of course, if none of this works, all you can do is what you can do.

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 6:12 am
Sounds like your older kids were fine going away as babies, and this is your first one who is not. Why assume then that you will be dealing with this with babies in the future? Figure out what works for you, for now. Take it 1 baby at a time!

Frumme

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 6:18 am
Can I ask what DH is up to? When we travel and have trouble putting down a baby, we take turns so we don't end up with a completely sleepless night.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics