Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Sara Schenirer Social Work
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 2:42 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
If I was choosing a program, I wouldn’t choose the program that’s more difficult to navigate in order to strengthen my navigating difficult situations skills. There are plenty of unavoidable ways to work on that. If all other things are equal, please choose a program that won’t add more stress to your life.
Signed,
A mom watching her daughter navigate one of these programs

If I was choosing a profession I wouldn’t enter one that is a recipe for challenges (financial, personally and hashkafically) without closely considering the ramifications of that. Just because it “seems” like a good degree
Signed,
In the field

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 2:43 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
If I was choosing a profession I wouldn’t enter one that is a recipe for challenges (financial, personally and hashkafically) without closely considering the ramifications of that. Just because it “seems” like a good degree
Signed,
In the field

Could you please elaborate? If you could do it over which degree would you go for?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 2:44 pm
Who is they?
And what do you want to do with the MSW?
As someone in the field I would recommend deeply considering why the MSW

Why is that?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 2:49 pm
Financials notwithstanding, between Touro, TTI and Sara Schnerir - which one is my best option? I have four kids and don't want anything too stressful but at the same time I don't want to be in school for many years.. I'm in my late 30's and don't have any credits either.

Last edited by amother on Fri, Apr 16 2021, 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 2:49 pm
Which will let you count your HS classes and Sem for credit and only have you do 6 months of classes in order to give you a degree? Any more work than that is ridiculous and not worth it. Seriously, you make the most money if you don’t go to school at all.

Sarcasm.

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 2:50 pm
The field is flooded with people who are not equipped for the challenges that are inherent in both the schooling and career.
There’s this fallacy that it’s the easy route to being a therapist (which maybe isn’t even an ideal profession - as it ain’t easy - with the hours and emotional drain) which in the long haul negatively impacts the worker, the client and the whole jewish community.

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 2:51 pm
Boysrock! wrote:
Financials notwithstanding, between Touro, TTI and Sara Schnerir - which one is my best option? I have four kids and don't want anything too stressful but at the same time I don't want to be in school for many years.. I'm in my late 30's and don't have any credits either.

I would go for a Bachelors in social work to save time and money. Sarah Schenirer offers this option.

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 2:52 pm
The field is flooded with people who are not equipped for the challenges that are inherent in both the schooling and career.
There’s this fallacy that it’s the easy route to being a therapist (which maybe isn’t even an ideal profession - as it ain’t easy - with the hours and emotional drain) which in the long haul negatively impacts the worker, the client and the whole jewish community.

Do you feel that people that didn’t get their degrees through Jewish programs are better equipped?

amother
White

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 2:57 pm
You are going to work hard and spend about of time and money to most probably end up with a degree that pays the same as a secretary.

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 2:58 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
Do you feel that people that didn’t get their degrees through Jewish programs are better equipped?

Do you feel that a rigorous training along with a national specified curriculum better prepares a person for a job in a tough field than an abridged accelerated program that quickly rushes the person through it?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 3:00 pm
I do not want to take any shortcuts, I am not looking for a lucrative career per se, but rather a sincere desire to make a difference here. I have been hurt by therapists and after many years in therapy, I have come to realize that there are many bad, incompetent therapists out there. And there are also some very very good ones. I believe I have what it takes to be one of the good ones. And I want the very best education to get me to be one. But I do know that I have four kids - so I can't do anything that will be too much either. Is that too much to ask? I am willing to put in the work but at the same time, I am not so young anymore either. I just don't know where to go from here.

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 3:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I do not want to take any shortcuts, I am not looking for a lucrative career per se, but rather a sincere desire to make a difference here. I have been hurt by therapists and after many years in therapy, I have come to realize that there are many bad, incompetent therapists out there. And there are also some very very good ones. I believe I have what it takes to be one of the good ones. And I want the very best education to get me to be one. But I do know that I have four kids - so I can't do anything that will be too much either. Is that too much to ask? I am willing to put in the work but at the same time, I am not so young anymore either. I just don't know where to go from here.

Have you looked into Fordham?

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 3:03 pm

Slightly. I think it’s a general widespread problem even in the secular world, but those gained through the jewish program are more likely to fall prey to it.
I am not saying cvs that if someone went to a jewish program they are incapable of being equipped, but there is something compromised in the jewish programs

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 3:04 pm
Slightly. I think it’s a general widespread problem even in the secular world, but those gained through the jewish program are more likely to fall prey to it.
I am not saying cvs that if someone went to a jewish program they are incapable of being equipped, but there is something compromised in the jewish programs

Which non Jewish schools would you recommend?

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 3:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Hey, I started in my late 30s and have slowly worked my way through. I'm alllmost done - will graduate shortly. Took me quite a few years because I switched my major in between and went a different route. I'll be up front with you - its lots and lots of hard work and tight schedules, but I feel like it's going to be all worth it. I've already have pending offers, and can't wait to actually start!

Don't let your age stop you. I'd suggest start slow and build up from there. If you'll jump in on the deep end, you'll get overwhelmed very quickly.

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 3:08 pm
amother [ White ] wrote:
You are going to work hard and spend about of time and money to most probably end up with a degree that pays the same as a secretary.

That similar salary is only in the secretary pay inflated Jewish world. In the real world, secretaries make less. But not only that, you might take pride in what you do. You might like making a difference in people’s life better than answering phones and following up on emails, or you may not.

I am a health care worker. I have a masters degree. I don’t make 6 figures. But, I do know that I have bettered peoples lives, brought smiles to their faces. Comfort to their hearts, and enabled their my live longer and healthier. I wish I was payed better but I still wouldn’t trade my job.
(Oh, and I share my office with the MSW who really brings quality of life to our patients and their families. When KBH asked her if she used her time gifts and talents to better this world, I can answe for her that yes she did. Every. Single. Day.)

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 3:09 pm
If your priority is speed, the dual BSW/MSW degree from Sara Schneirer is probably the quickest. Be aware you need 2/3000 hours -2/3 years working for lowish pay under supervision - just to get licensed once you’ve completed your degree so it’s not a specifically quick route any way you do it.

A friend who went to Touro and then to NYU for her MSW told me that her friends who went to Sara Schneirer for BAs got into the same Social Work programs that she did (NYU, Hunter, Columbia). This is secondhand information though.

As an aside, my opinion (and I haven’t started this process yet at all), if you want to go the clinical route, is that your innate talent, internship placements, and further training post graduation are more important than which school you go to. They all follow a set core curriculum and need to require a certain minimum amount of internship hours, through the quality of teaching and placements maybe be different.

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 3:11 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
If your priority is speed, the dual BSW/MSW degree from Sara Schneirer is probably the quickest. Be aware you need 2/3000 hours -2/3 years working for lowish pay under supervision - just to get licensed once you’ve completed your degree so it’s not a specifically quick route any way you do it.

A friend who went to Touro and then to NYU for her MSW told me that her friends who went to Sara Schneirer for BAs got into the same Social Work programs that she did (NYU, Hunter, Columbia). This is secondhand information though.

As an aside, my opinion (and I haven’t started this process yet at all), if you want to go the clinical route, is that your innate talent, internship placements, and further training post graduation are more important than which school you go to. They all follow a set core curriculum and need to require a certain minimum amount of internship hours, through the quality of teaching and placements maybe be different.

Are people paying 100k for NYUs MSW?

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 3:13 pm
From what I hear, TTI is the most flexible with your lifestyle.

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 3:14 pm
Are people paying 100k for NYUs MSW?

I know my friend got a lot of grants that made her feel it wasn’t so much more expensive than going elsewhere, but that was her unique situation. The name and reputation of the program were important to her; I’m not sure if she is 100% happy with her decision. Personally I will likely explore Wurzweiler (somewhat cheaper) and Hunter (a lot cheaper but very selective) first, if I pursue this.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics