Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Sara Schenirer Social Work
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 12:15 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
I know my friend got a lot of grants that made her feel it wasn’t so much more expensive than going elsewhere, but that was her unique situation. The name and reputation of the program were important to her; I’m not sure if she is 100% happy with her decision. Personally I will likely explore Wurzweiler (somewhat cheaper) and a Hunter (a lot cheaper but very selective) first, if I pursue this.

Which other programs are in the same league as NYU?

amother
White

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 12:15 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
That similar salary is only in the secretary pay inflated Jewish world. In the real world, secretaries make less. But not only that, you might take pride in what you do. You might like making a difference in people’s life better than answering phones and following up on emails, or you may not.

I am a health care worker. I have a masters degree. I don’t make 6 figures. But, I do know that I have bettered peoples lives, brought smiles to their faces. Comfort to their hearts, and enabled their my live longer and healthier. I wish I was payed better but I still wouldn’t trade my job.
(Oh, and I share my office with the MSW who really brings quality of life to our patients and their families. When KBH asked her if she used her time gifts and talents to better this world, I can answe for her that yes she did. Every. Single. Day.)

Well we are in the inflated secretaryJewish world. It's hard to have 50k in loans and beaking 40k working full time as a SW. Many ppl get burnt out fast. It's good to know what you're in for and I think ppl assume a living wage without knowing facts.

But I agree it's great to be doing a job you love and making a difference.

Curious, what are you in healthcare that has a master's and didn't pay over 6 figures? Do you work part time?

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 12:18 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
Which other programs are in the same league as NYU?

I don’t know who determines how good the programs are, but Columbia is a famously “good” school all around, and Hunter is so hard to get into as a city school with limited spots, that it has a good name. I couldn’t tell you how great the quality of education is at each. Columbia’s program is supposed to be more focused on the advocacy/community social work route, NYU more on the clinical.

This is all based on my own research online and talking to people. I haven’t gone to any of these programs.

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 12:19 pm
I don’t know who determines how good the programs are, but Columbia is a famously “good” school all around, and Hunter is so hard to get into as a city school with limited spots, that it has a good name. I couldn’t tell you how great the quality of education is at each. Columbia’s program is supposed to be more focused on the advocacy/community social work route, NYU more on the clinical.

This is all based on my own research online and talking to people. I haven’t gone to any of these programs.

What about Fordham?

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 12:22 pm
What about Fordham?

I don’t know much about it, I don’t know of anyone who’s gone there. There’s also LIU.

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 12:28 pm
I know personally people who went to Hunter and NYU with BTLs. As well as people who went to hunter with seminary degrees (Ie a BA from a 2 yr seminary)

I think at least in ny - Columbia, Fordham, Hunter and NYU are considered higher tier then others

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 12:30 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
I know personally people who went to Hunter and NYU with BTLs. As well as people who went to hunter with seminary degrees (Ie a BA from a 2 yr seminary)

I think at least in ny - Columbia, Fordham, Hunter and NYU are considered higher tier then others

Yes that’s my impression too. I can’t figure out where Wurzweiler stands in the pecking order - any insight?

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 12:31 pm
Yes that’s my impression too. I can’t figure out where Wurzweiler stands in the pecking order - any insight?

Also trying to place them. My feeling is it’s changed over the years especially since they started a partnership with sarah Schenirer

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 12:34 pm
I would think that wurz is higher tiered in the secular world compared to other frum programs but it’s complicated comparing the sarah schnenier program as on paper it looks like wurtz but it’s very different

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 12:40 pm
amother [ White ] wrote:
Well we are in the inflated secretaryJewish world. It's hard to have 50k in loans and beaking 40k working full time as a SW. Many ppl get burnt out fast. It's good to know what you're in for and I think ppl assume a living wage without knowing facts.

But I agree it's great to be doing a job you love and making a difference.

Curious, what are you in healthcare that has a master's and didn't pay over 6 figures? Do you work part time?

Most NYC hospitals based OT/PT/SPL/RDN/MSW make under 6 figures.

cnc

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 2:46 pm
Also trying to place them. My feeling is it’s changed over the years especially since they started a partnership with sarah Schenirer

A couple of years ago I believe they were the second highest rated Social Work School in NYS with Fordham coming in first.

Fordham, Wurzweiler and Hunter are considered the best programs. LIU is excellent as well. Columbia and NYU are considered good colleges - but I don’t think they’re MSW program specifically is a great program.

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 2:52 pm
Interesting. US News rates social work programs in NY in this order:
Columbia, NYU, Hunter, Fordham, YU, Touro.
Hunter & Fordham are tied at #25 nationally.
Worth noting YU is #68 and Touro is #196.

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 4:15 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi,
Does anyone know if a Bachelors in Professional Studies from Sara Schenirer can be used at NYU for graduate school in social work (LCSW)

Yes. It can.
To be sure you can call NYU and ask if they'd honor the degree. Be sure to ask SS for the name of the college they're affiliated with.

amother
Melon

Post Sat, Dec 18 2021, 10:48 pm
Does anyone know how sa be LIU vs Touro social work programs compare re the work involved? Like if I'm juggling a part time job or family life? I personally think u learn the most after school on the jobs me all are accredited to I don't care about reputation- just which one works best with busy frum
Life?
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics