Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Where to put my desk when I work at home part time

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 4:42 pm
I've had this issue for a while now and I'm wondering if someone can help. It's so silly but I simply don't know what to do.

I work from home part time (the rest of the time I work in the office). I am a very minimalistic type of person and hate clutter. I have a 4 bedrooms with 2 kids in 2 rooms and daughter in her own room and one for master. Downstairs I have a tiny dining room and living room and then a tiny office room for me and my husband. My husband really needs his own office but I have a desk in the office off to the side for now. I have no basement or garage. I am literally at a loss for where to put my desk.

I use my desk to:
1. work from home part time
2. settle down my stuff when I come home.
3. use the computer for imamother Smile, gmail, banking, shopping.

I was thinking to put my desk in my bedroom but it is not relaxing for me to have my desk there. My daughter happens to have her own room. Is it normal to have a desk in my daughter's room? She doesn't mind. Does anyone else do that - have a desk in their child's room? I've never seen it but I just don't know where to put myself, literally!

Any home organizers or really smart people - help!
And curious, where do you all have your home office desk?

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 5:51 pm
Do you have any larger closets that can be converted to an office?

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 5:55 pm
It might just be about getting a desk made specially for a certain space. If you're enjoying working in your husband's home office, reworking the room might make it a haven for both of you if planned right.
Depending on where you feel happy working, sometimes a small corner desk makes sense. A pull down wall mount. A chest like desk that opens for work and closes into a nice decorative piece at the end of the day. And many other such ideas.

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 6:33 pm
Can you put a scroll desk in the bedroom? That way you can put it away when you are not working.

Crookshanks

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 9:15 am
My father had a desk in my room growing up. I used to fall asleep with him working in the room. Happy memories 💜

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 9:43 am
I live in a small 2 br and have this folding desk for working FT from home and my baby at daycare.

ErgoDesign Folding Computer Desk for Small Spaces, Space-Saving Home Office Desk, Foldable Computer Table, Laptop Table, Writing Desk, Compact Study Reading Table (A-White) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W.....5AYM9

Sometimes I just leave it open all week, but I often close it for shabbos or when I want less clutter in my baby’s room.

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 9:55 am
I have a friend who lives in a 2 bedroom apartment with 3 boys. This year both she and her husband have been working from home and it's been very close quarters. They finally decided to convert their dining room into a small bedroom for their oldest because he really needs his own space and she now uses his room as her office while he's in school so she and her husband are not on top of each other all day. It's been amazing for both their shalom bayis and their workload!

So I say why not use your daughter's room if she's ok with it? That seems like the perfect solution to me.

amother
Black

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 10:01 am
What’s wrong with sharing the office with dh? I think it’s weird to use your dds room.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 11:22 am
What difference does it make - what other people do? Do whatever works for you. If your daughter is fine with it - then go for it. If it starts to bother your daughter - then you can rethink it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics