Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing
Help a newbie! What is this stitch??

little neshamala

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 2:27 pm
So ive been learning to sew a bit through youtube...mainly basic alterations and stuff.
And ive been taking a closer look at things that ive had alterred professionally in the past, and I noticed something interesting...I always though that when cutting a skirt to shorten it, and then you need to sew the hem up...so you have to fold a bit of the skirt bottom, press it, and then sew it. And you get a hem.
But I was looking at a skirt I once had shortened, and it seems the seamstress used a stitch I didnt even know existed-and she did not even fold the skirt up! There is no fold. She literally cut the bottom of the skirt, and then did this funky stitch ON the very bottom, kind of sealing up the edge. I believe the stitch was visible from both sides, and it actually ran around/over the edge. So the edge of the fabric became sealed up so you couldnt see it, just the thread was visible.
What is this?
Is this a common stitch I dont know about?
I hate folding and pressing hems.
If theres a way to just cut, and then seal the edge up with a stitch, please let me know!

Thanks in advance!

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 2:29 pm
I'm not fully understanding the question, but you can do any edge finishing stitch.

amother
Red

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 2:34 pm
Sounds like it is serged, with a serger machine

zaq

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 3:13 pm
little neshamala wrote:
There is no fold. She literally cut the bottom of the skirt, and then did this funky stitch ON the very bottom, kind of sealing up the edge. I believe the stitch was visible from both sides, and it actually ran around/over the edge. So the edge of the fabric became sealed up so you couldnt see it, just the thread was visible.

You been took, my friend. She used a serger, which sews and trims off the extra fabric at the same time. It's used for seams on knitwear and the like but it's a poor and unprofessional way to finish the lower edge of a skirt. First of all, the stitching shows, which looks cheap, and secondly, you don't have the extra weight of the hem to help the fabric hang properly and stay down. Chances are that, over time, the edge of the skirt will end up rolling to the outside. Of course, if you don't care that a skirt you spent time and effort to make or alter looks cheap, then enjoy.

A serger is a complicated and very expensive specialty sewing machine, and it ONLY serges, doesn't do regular sewing. (There are some combination sewer/segers, but presumably you already have a regular sewing machine.) Unless you sew a LOT, especially knits, it's not worth the expense or the space it takes up. And you really have to have a pro show you how to thread it and use it because it's nothing like a regular machine.

Frumme

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 3:16 pm
Here's more info on a serger and serged edges

https://whatthecraft.com/whats-a-serger/

little neshamala

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 7:00 pm
Aahhh, thank you everybody! I googled pictures, and yep, it looks like she used a serger.
Hmmph.
So, is there any other way to finish off a skirt I shortened besides for folding the bottom, sewing and ironing? (I hate ironing!!!)

challahchallah

Post Fri, Apr 16 2021, 8:44 pm
little neshamala wrote:
Aahhh, thank you everybody! I googled pictures, and yep, it looks like she used a serger.
Hmmph.
So, is there any other way to finish off a skirt I shortened besides for folding the bottom, sewing and ironing? (I hate ironing!!!)

Depending on the type of fabric, you can do a rolled hem with the rolled hem foot on your sewing machine.

shanie5

Post Sat, Apr 17 2021, 11:49 pm
There is a hemming tape that you can iron on to hold the hem up. I've never used it, but maybe you want to try it? It is ironing, but its not sewing too

srbmom

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 12:10 am
Not sure if it's the same as a "rolled hem" stitch mentioned above, but I use a blind hem stitch with a special foot
It took me many, many YouTube videos to figure it out though

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 5:53 pm
shanie5 wrote:
There is a hemming tape that you can iron on to hold the hem up. I've never used it, but maybe you want to try it? It is ironing, but its not sewing too

I have this and it's great. You just pin the hem up with the tape inside and then slowly iron the hem [removing pins as you go along]. I haven't stitched up a hem in years. And it holds really well.

little neshamala

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 6:09 pm
Thank you everybody!! Really appreciate the responses

zaq

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 7:58 pm
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
I have this and it's great. You just pin the hem up with the tape inside and then slowly iron the hem [removing pins as you go along]. I haven't stitched up a hem in years. And it holds really well.
. Brand name Stitch Witchery FYI..

Roots

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 12:58 am
I have a brother serger (called overlock in israel) I got it on amazon for like $270 I think. I love it, but you cant do it to every fabric, or every style. obviuosly something elegant needs a hem, while something casual, lycra, can be serges vezehu..
hemming tape is fun, but it doesnt last as long, I buy mine from ikea
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing