Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Nutritionist / Dietitian with healthy attitude for teen

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 08 2021, 8:07 am
Looking for in Lakewood. Ideally takes insurance.

My later high school dd was a slim preteen, but quickly gained significant weight when stopped growing and stopped running around (teens don't spend the afternoon roller blading or on jump rope). She did not become super heavy, but is decidedly not slim.

She usually seems not to care, but every so often she will. Dr and one nutritionist we went to says her weight is ok bc on curve. Nutritionist spoke to her about intuitive eating, but that was it. She went twice then went to camp with no knowledge of what to eat.

The concern is that she is gaining weight every year. Every so often she starts to care and tries to eat better. She'll often ask my opinion about what she's doing and I can tell she needs an education on even the fundamentals of how food works. I feel it comes out judgey when she asks if something is a good idea and I guide her to look at potion sizes etc. (I myself have terrible habits and am very overweight having followed a similar pattern to this child. I know the fundamentals but not how to apply...however those terrible habits I have no idea how to be skinny).

I want to teach her how to eat healthy and filling, one potion, what is a fat and protein and why important maybe nudge her to eat more of a variety of food. I want her to understand why portions are important, how challah and kugel really add up, without being made crazy.

She has no complex with food and I'd like it to stay that way. Im really nervous she'll be made obsessed. I don't want her given extreme ideas (for example, I don't want her hearing things like "by the time you get to shulchan orech you've had too many carbs, so no carbs for you."....sorry, that may be accurate but I do not think it is a mentally healthy approach. I saw that in a weekly's nutrition article).

However, I do feel it is my job to give her the tools. I was never as a child and it has hurt me to this day.

I went to a nutritionist to help me with myself and for feeding my family (most of whom are skinny, but eat a lot so I see this in their future). I did not find her super helpful with coming up with ideas customized for me. Plus she said cook only one carb portion per family member and they'll figure it out if still hungry from the other food...I did not like that at all for my younger kids and not comfortable with that for teens either. I stopped using her so would love ideas for a forty something to help w meal planning. I don't cook unhealthy. Where family and I falter is with portion control issues and love carbs.

Leads and advice appreciated.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Apr 15 2021, 12:56 pm
Anyone have ideas?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 7:37 am
Any advice? Even w no insurance?
I see a fellow ima has the same question.

Thank you!

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 8:07 am
I don't have a recommendation but your heartfeltness came across so much that you want to help her from your own pitfalls. I am not sure sending her to a nutritionist is the best idea if it didn't come from her. That can give her image issues.

Children learn what they live is very true. As the mother you have a lot of subtle ways to influence habits and teach all of your children at all ages good eating habits, learning starts young. The younger the better. I would not equate them or connect them to weight as a measuring stick.

The shulchan aruch writes to stop eating when you are satisfied, before you are full. In Japan, they live by this and have a phrase for it. Hara hachi bu. This is around 2/3's full. You know how important it is to eat good foods? Well according to the Torah sources, this practice is even more powerful than that. So you are definitely setting your sights on something quite integral.

For example, one way to teach this to even the youngest of children is to not tell them to finish their food when they do not want to eat anymore. Instead reinforce that they listened to their body to know when they are satisfied.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise