Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Choosing school/camp in Jerusalem
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 9:40 am
Without getting help from NBN how would I find information about schools and camps in Israel? We haven’t made Aaliyah but considering a year in Jerusalem
Is there a place to find information?

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 9:43 am
You can definitely ask here. Smile
Also, if you are on face book, there are definitely groups there all about questions like that.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 9:48 am
Thanks!
What FB groups do you suggest?
Hard to explain our hashkafa and wouldn’t want to do it on fb though.
We are modern yet machmir. Looking for American/English speaking crowd and style of program.

Edited for detail ;-)

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 9:53 am
So start a thread here. Or maybe people will be able to answer you here, in this thread.
In terms of face book, there is a nfesh bnefesh group, to ask all questions, there is a group about traveling and summer fun, so you could probably ask there about camps. Its called LoveLoveIsrael.
I have to think of more.

essie14

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 10:58 am
If you want English speaking schools check out YTA high school. they have completely separate boys and girls divisions.
I don't think there are any religious english speaking elementary schools.

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 10:59 am
Chorev could be a good fit.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 11:16 am
Thanks so much guys!
My kids are small (under 10)
What about elementary schools with lots of English speakers? Anything other than Chorev?
What do these kids do for summer camp?
When does the school year end and will it start again before Rosh Hashana?

Teomima

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 11:38 am
If you look at a mamlachti dati/torani school, the school year is September 1st-June 30th, though this year there is supposed to be school in July, too, to make up for all the missed schooling.

Neighborhood really matters when it comes to school recommendations. Of course there are options other than Chorev. Do you have an idea where in the city you want to be? Or are you choosing school first and moving based on that?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 11:44 am
Thanks Teomina!
We are currently in the German Colony/ Katamon area

Teomima

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 1:27 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks Teomina!
We are currently in the German Colony/ Katamon area

So Chorev is the closest torani school, but Givat Mordechai and Mekor Chaim aren't that far. Plus there's plenty of "regular" mamad options (Evelina, Yehuda Halevi, or one neighborhood over there's Efrata or Gonenim or Peleh).

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 2:19 pm
Pardon my ignorance, what does Mamad mean? What’s the difference between Mamad and Torani?

batmelech1

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 3:05 pm
Mamad is plan religious. But it’s usually the people who are very lenient and the children who go there most of the time go off the derech..
Torani is the frummer version of the religious Zionist’s.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 3:21 pm
Many schools have a kaytana for the month of July. Same with ganim.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 3:29 pm
Mamad means mamlachti dati. They are more lenient as regards halacha, but I think it's rather an exaggeration to say they mostly go off the derech. They are staunchly Zionistic and will normally consider themselves dati. The girls might go to the army instead of doing sherut Leumi. They'll eat a wider range of hashgachas, and might not worry too much about what they wear, but they will keep Shabbos - though again, they are more likely to take a lenient interpretation of the halachos.

Torani spend more time learning, and tend to be that much frummer. They will also do the army, but the boys are much more likely to do hesder, and the girls will probably do sherut Leumi. They might take a year in a midrasha either before or after. Their knowledge and observance of halacha are generally deeper.

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 10:50 pm
batmelech1 wrote:
Mamad is plan religious. But it’s usually the people who are very lenient and the children who go there most of the time go off the derech..

This is not true. I know plenty of people who send to regular mamad.

Not all children at a mamad come from a religious home. The schools are required to accept them. So you can't say all these kids are going off the derech. The composition of the student body depends on the local population.

Torani often has enriched religious hours, and typically earlier separation of boys and girls. There are also families that are 100% dati (not 'lite') who prefer the regular mamad in their neighborhood, over the torani.

Teomima

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 11:36 pm
batmelech1 wrote:

What in the world are you basing this off of? It is absolutely not true.

essie14

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 1:10 am
batmelech1 wrote:

What?!?!?! This is pure lashon hara and not true in the slightest.
Where did you ever get this idea from?

DrMom

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 1:11 am
Teomima wrote:
What in the world are you basing this off of? It is absolutely not true.

That's what I want to know.

Almost my entire community sends their kids to Mamad (which stands for Mamlachti Dati) schools and they absolutely are not mostly OTD. What an ignorant and misleading thing to say.

essie14

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 1:14 am
DrMom wrote:
That's what I want to know.

Almost my entire community sends their kids to Mamad (which stands for Mamlachti Dati) schools and they absolutely are not mostly OTD. What an ignorant and misleading thing to say.

Same. I am just flabbergasted that someone would say that children who go to mamad schools go OTD. I know hundreds of hesder boys and midrasha girls who went to mamad schools. Not exactly OTD at all.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 3:44 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Pardon my ignorance, what does Mamad mean? What’s the difference between Mamad and Torani?

ממ"ד mamlachti dati in this case
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions