Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Gardening
Landscaper or not?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 4:56 pm
We put in a couple of calls to landscapers in our area.
We recently moved and Bh finally have a lawn and area to grow a garden!
We are planning on doing lawn maintenance ourselves, but just for last years cleanout & planting flowers/bushes with knowhow of our area- what’s good in shade etc.
meanwhile, 2 places never called back and one guy never showed up to appointment last week... 🤷‍♀️

So, am I nuts if I buy a bunch of rose bushes, hydrangeas, whatever and plant myself??

I’m itching to get this garden going, and at the rate we’re going here with non communicative landscapers, I’ve git no patience to wait lol!

Thoughts?

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 5:04 pm
Wait for the landscaper. It's a huge job on your own with trial and error.

lk1234

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 5:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We put in a couple of calls to landscapers in our area.
We recently moved and Bh finally have a lawn and area to grow a garden!
We are planning on doing lawn maintenance ourselves, but just for last years cleanout & planting flowers/bushes with knowhow of our area- what’s good in shade etc.
meanwhile, 2 places never called back and one guy never showed up to appointment last week... 🤷‍♀️

So, am I nuts if I buy a bunch of rose bushes, hydrangeas, whatever and plant myself??

I’m itching to get this garden going, and at the rate we’re going here with non communicative landscapers, I’ve git no patience to wait lol!

Thoughts?

Depending on size of your lawn, lawn maintenance is a massive job to do on your own and involves a ton of tools and stuff. If you are into then great but if not wait for the professional.

Signed,
former wanna be landscaper Smile

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 5:12 pm
lk1234 wrote:
Depending on size of your lawn, lawn maintenance is a massive job to do on your own and involves a ton of tools and stuff. If you are into then great but if not wait for the professional.

Signed,
former wanna be landscaper Smile

It’s a nice size lawn, but that hubby is all excited about & bought an expensive lawn mower (second hand so equals to about 3 tines having a company do it). Hopefully his enthusiasm will last the season Smile

My question is more on the planting and stuff. I have about $300 worth of plants in my cart lol!

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 5:18 pm
I would suggest, try a small area first and see how it goes.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 5:18 pm
Landscapers are notorious for being hard to pin down. But I would not suggest trying to grow hydrangea on your own. It needs a certain amount of sun and shade, and a certain ph balance in the soil. I have tried and failed. Roses can also be tricky. Better to keep calling landscapers, get recommendations from friends, and if you plan to do maintenance on your own (weeding, mowing pruning, watering, fertilizing, etc) get low maintenance plants!!! Gardens and lawns can be pretty overwhelming.

lk1234

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 5:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It’s a nice size lawn, but that hubby is all excited about & bought an expensive lawn mower (second hand so equals to about 3 tines having a company do it). Hopefully his enthusiasm will last the season Smile

My question is more on the planting and stuff. I have about $300 worth of plants in my cart lol!

Still think you should have professional do it but you can allocate a small part of your lawn to exercise your green thumb. Keep in mind that plants should not be planted wherever - they need to be placed in the correct location eg too close to house is bad, too close to other plants etc.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 5:48 pm
Roses love full sun. Plant them deep, but not above the graft line. Put an overripe banana in the hole first, and some crushed eggshells. They will love the nutrients, and you won't have to fertilize them for a long time. (This is true of just about every plant.)

Lavender is super easy to grow, and very forgiving once it is established.

Hostas and Canna lilies grow fast in full sun or very partial shade, and will fill up a large space quickly.

Do your research on shade plants that thrive in your zone. Installing a "shade garden" is a whole different thing, and it's very fun.

My dad was a gardener and landscaper, and I grew up with it. I've been gardening as long as I can remember. Ask me anything!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 6:29 pm
So the guy that was supposed to come last week called my husband about an 1 1/2 hour ago and he’s coming over now... so we shall see Smile meanwhile I’ll sit tight & not swiping that card yet lol!
FF, just wait, I may still need all your advice!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Gardening