Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Adjustable shelves In Boro Park

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 07 2021, 2:35 pm
I have a long narrow closet and I’d like to add shelves to the back and make it a “Costco” closet for extra food and supplies. A friend suggested putting in adjustable shelves so it can be flexible according to my changing needs.
What’s the most efficient, cost-effective way of putting in such shelves? Buy a system? Hire a carpenter to build? I live in Boro Park.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 11 2021, 1:39 pm
Any ideas how to install such shelves in my closet?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 9:16 am
Any ideas?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 14 2021, 9:45 am
If you bring the measurements of the closet to the lumber yard, they can help you. These are wall brackets that can be used that make the shelves adjustable at any time.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/.....99735
Ask them about mounting the brackets and what sort of support they need in order to drill them into drywall.
There are pins to use in the brackets so the shelves can rest on them.
Then with exact measurements, they can cut shelves to size for you.
Once the brackets are in, you put in the pins, and slip in the shelves.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 8:20 pm
ra_mom wrote:
If you bring the measurements of the closet to the lumber yard, they can help you. These are wall brackets that can be used that make the shelves adjustable at any time.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/.....99735
Ask them about mounting the brackets and what sort of support they need in order to drill them into drywall.
There are pins to use in the brackets so the shelves can rest on them.
Then with exact measurements, they can cut shelves to size for you.
Once the brackets are in, you put in the pins, and slip in the shelves.

Do you think it makes most sense to DIY it? Hire a handyman? Or...? Don’t want to Karg on quality but don’t want to overspend. WhAts most efficient

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 8:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do you think it makes most sense to DIY it? Hire a handyman? Or...? Don’t want to Karg on quality but don’t want to overspend. WhAts most efficient

Call a handyman and get a quote. Maybe it's not as much as you think. It might make things easier if you have never secured anything heavy to the wall before. It will also take the guesswork out of measuring and errors that come up.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 9:01 pm
So The quote would include making and securing shelves and brackets?

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 9:11 pm
Container Store, probably Amazon as well, has something. Two metal rods , hang on wall. Insert brackets to hold up the shelves. Can place removable shelves at any position. Super cheap. I did it myself. Got shelves at home depot, cut to size or pre-cut, depending on size you need.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 9:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So The quote would include making and securing shelves and brackets?

Quote would be to buy the wood and trim, all necessary supplies, measure, cut, and install. Also his labor. I would ask a handyman

TCR

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 9:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have a long narrow closet and I’d like to add shelves to the back and make it a “Costco” closet for extra food and supplies. A friend suggested putting in adjustable shelves so it can be flexible according to my changing needs.
What’s the most efficient, cost-effective way of putting in such shelves? Buy a system? Hire a carpenter to build? I live in Boro Park.

I used a good handyman for my closets. his number is 347-645-4538

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 9:30 pm
TCR wrote:
I used a good handyman for my closets. his number is 347-645-4538

Is that Guttman?

simba

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 9:33 pm
I put this system into some of my closets at.one point. Its highly customizable. I hired a handyman to install it.
https://www.homedepot.com/b/St.....Zcd8r

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 10:03 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
Is that Guttman?

no

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 12:05 am
simba wrote:
I put this system into some of my closets at.one point. Its highly customizable. I hired a handyman to install it.
https://www.homedepot.com/b/St.....Zcd8r

This isn’t for a bedroom, this is for storage. I’m looking for something stronger.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 12:05 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
Container Store, probably Amazon as well, has something. Two metal rods , hang on wall. Insert brackets to hold up the shelves. Can place removable shelves at any position. Super cheap. I did it myself. Got shelves at home depot, cut to size or pre-cut, depending on size you need.

Can you link to what you’re talking about?

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 12:19 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can you link to what you’re talking about?

Simba linked to the item I had in mind. Home depot is cheaper than container store.
Maybe any hardware store would have it? Not sure.

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 12:21 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This isn’t for a bedroom, this is for storage. I’m looking for something stronger.

These are very strong. I have them in a closet. I have heavy file boxes on these shelves. You need to get the heavy duty version of brackets.

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 12:23 am
What simba linked. I got those wall brackets and added my own plank shelves. I didn't use the wire shelves shown in the pic

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 10:18 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
These are very strong. I have them in a closet. I have heavy file boxes on these shelves. You need to get the heavy duty version of brackets.

Oh wow. Ok.

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 12:35 pm
Could be the two rods that are screwed onto the wall also come in a light duty and heavy duty version. I can't remember. Check with the shop.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics