Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Dd 16 doesn’t want to get the vaccine
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 10:52 pm
She is very smart but doesn’t communicate with us so well. She is into her friends and does very well in all aspects. I didn’t ask her yet why. Maybe her friends are not getting it. It just became available to 16 and up in our state. Should we try to convince her? Push her? Obligate her? We have some family members at risk who will come to visit at the end of next month.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 10:55 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
She is very smart but doesn’t communicate with us so well. She is into her friends and dies very well in all aspects. I didn’t ask her yet why. Maybe her friends are not getting it. It just be me available to 16 and up in our state. Should we try to convince her? Push her? Obligate her? We have some family members at risk who will come to visit at the end of next month.

If I were your family member I would not come. Even if she gets vaxxed today, she would just barely be under the wire to get second vaxx in a month, then done two weeks after that

I myself am high risk, I wouldn’t come. You might start by tell8ng her she’s being selfish, but I doubt the timing will go your way.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 10:57 pm
I wouldn’t obligate a kid in it. If they get sick or have serious side effects they will be very upset with you. It’s logical for a teen not to want a shot that makes you sick for a few days.
I presume your other kids are too young to get it and the high risk family member know they are taking a risk when they travel?
Presumably anyone who is high risk and traveling has gotten the shots themselves and is no longer at high risk of a serious case.
I don’t fully understand how it helps someone else to insist that others around them be vaccinated... if they got vaccinated they have a 95% +- chance of not getting seriously sick. Someone else getting the vaccine doesn’t mean they can’t pass it on, just more likely a mild case (which if anything makes it more likely for one not to recognize symptoms).

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 10:57 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
If I were your family member I would not come. Even if she gets vaxxed today, she would just barely be under the wire to get second vaxx in a month, then done two weeks after that

I myself am high risk, I wouldn’t come. You might start by tell8ng her she’s being selfish, but I doubt the timing will go your way.

She's not being selfish. She's being a normal 16-year-old. Why should someone who's not at risk willingly put something potentially harmful in their body when the at-risk family members are vaccinated?

If we think the vaccine works, then those at-risk family members should not be worried. If we think the vaccine doesn't work, then why should the 16-year-old get it?

Speaking as someone who got the vaccine as soon as I could (since February) and has been very pro-vaccine all along. I have a 16-year-old sister. I have at-risk family members. I do not think my sister is being selfish for not rushing to get the vaccine. I think she's a normal teen.

Crookshanks

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 10:59 pm
She's a regular teenager. The most you can do is keep her away from the at risk family members. If they got the vaccine already though, I don't see what's the point.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 10:59 pm
Her body, her choice.
If she's going to be forced to take it, at least it shouldn't be forced by her own parents.
As her parents, it's your task to allow her to decide what goes into her body, especially at 16, less than 2 years of legal age of 18.

Sb1234

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 11:01 pm
If your at risk family members are vaccinated, then it’s fine for them to be exposed to your non vaccinated daughter. That’s the point of the vaccine. You should definitely not force her to get it.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 11:01 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
I wouldn’t obligate a kid in it. If they get sick or have serious side effects they will be very upset with you. It’s logical for a teen not to want a shot that makes you sick for a few days.
I presume your other kids are too young to get it and the high risk family member know they are taking a risk when they travel?
Presumably anyone who is high risk and traveling has gotten the shots themselves and is no longer at high risk of a serious case.
I don’t fully understand how it helps someone else to insist that others around them be vaccinated... if they got vaccinated they have a 95% +- chance of not getting seriously sick. Someone else getting the vaccine doesn’t mean they can’t pass it on, just more likely a mild case (which if anything makes it more likely for one not to recognize symptoms).

People who are vaxxed, older people, are still getting sick and still dying. Yes, the chance is much, much smaller, but that’s not a risk I am willing to take.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 11:02 pm
People who are vaxxed, older people, are still getting sick and still dying. Yes, the chance is much, much smaller, but that’s not a risk I am willing to take.

oy. So the vaccines don't help?

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 11:04 pm

The chance is literally 1 in a million according to the CDC. (75 million vaccinated - 74 people died.)

If you thought about all the things in your life that have a death risk of more than 1 in a million, you would never take more than 3 steps in your lifetime.

Acting otherwise is completely irrational and is robbing said older people of years of their lives, of love, of connection. How much longer will this go on?!

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 11:04 pm

Are they? I haven’t seen that statistic.
I’ve seen studied ppl not fully vac die
I’ve seen studied full vax get sick. But no or little deaths from covid.

The CDC even says those fully vaxxed can spend time with non-vaxxed family members.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 11:05 pm

Honestly people who are high risk shouldn’t be traveling or going around kids. They should be careful who they are around if they don’t want to take risks.

amother
Copper

amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:

There's no logic. Don't even try.

amother
Fuchsia

So don't. Whatever floats your boat.

But don't call 16 year olds who don't agree with you, "selfish".

Let me guess. You don't have a 16 year old.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 11:06 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
Are they? I haven’t seen that statistic.
I’ve seen studied ppl not fully vac die
I’ve seen studied full vax get sick. But no or little deaths from covid.

The CDC even says those fully vaxxed can spend time with non-vaxxed family members.

A quick Google search says that the CDC has recorded 74 deaths among 75 million fully vaccinated people. 1/1,000,000.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 11:06 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:

No, we'll all just stay in quarantine until we die.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 11:08 pm
I don't plan on ever taking the vaccine. Same goes for most people I know that are not high risk. There's absolutely no reason for young people that are not at risk to take the vaccine and people that aren't taking the vaccine are not selfish.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 11:11 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
So don't. Whatever floats your boat.

But don't call 16 year olds who don't agree with you, "selfish".

Let me guess. You don't have a 16 year old.

I had eight 16-year-olds, as a matter of fact

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 11:11 pm

A person that doesn't want to take the vaccine, a vaccine which the long term effects aren't known, is NOT selfish. I can't believe a normal person thinks this way. Whoever wants to take the vaccine can choose to do so, but don't call other's selfish for not taking the vaccine. Other's yes or not taking the vaccine has nothing to do with you.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 11:12 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
A quick Google search says that the CDC has recorded 74 deaths among 75 million fully vaccinated people. 1/1,000,000.

And I know one of those people. My pulmonologist, in LA. Not going to apologize for taking my life and my health so seriously.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children