Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
My baby likes to eat coins
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 9:44 am
My baby is constantly putting things in his mouth. I often find coins in his mouth.
I don't remember any of my other kids putting coins in their mouths, because coins dont have a taste. I'm scared he will swallow a coin one day.
He also puts small lego pieces in his mouth. It's impossible to watch him every second. Sad

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 9:46 am
Why are there coins, lego, and other choking hazards within the babies reach?

Last edited by amother on Mon, Apr 19 2021, 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total

hodeez

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 9:46 am
Check him for a deficiency

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 9:48 am
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
Why are there coins, lego, and other choking hazards within the babies reach?

I don't know where he is finding coins. But I have other kids and they leave their stuff around. I literally just fished out a wet penny and dime from his mouth, and then found a nickle in his grubby hand. He was holding it so tight, I had to pry it from his hand.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 9:48 am
hodeez wrote:
Check him for a deficiency

Such as?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 9:50 am
How little? My crawling baby puts everything in her mouth she can (just pulled a tissue out of her mouth as I'm writing this). We are super careful about putting her on the floor--we check to make sure nothing small is there and we have rules about where toys with small pieces can be used. You need to make sure no coins are in her reach ever, and make sure the rest of your household is onboard with the rules.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 9:51 am
Does he like the taste? maybe anemic/iron deficiency? maybe check to rule that out. If also lego maybe he just likes the texture of hard things or jst small things.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 9:52 am
My kids know if they leave things where baby can get them, it gets taken away until they’re ready to be more careful. Your baby sounds normal to me, my question would be why your other kids didn’t do this.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 9:53 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don't know where he is finding coins. But I have other kids and they leave their stuff around. I literally just fished out a wet penny and dime from his mouth, and then found a nickle in his grubby hand. He was holding it so tight, I had to pry it from his hand.

You need to make sure the floor & everything within babies reach is clear before putting the baby on the floor. And kids have to know not to leave things around. Our rule is that small toys can't be taken out of their rooms. If I find anything that they left flying around, I take it away.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 9:54 am
I don't know how old your other kids are, but try reading them the safety book. Teach the older kids how dangerous it is for the baby.
I always teach the older kids to be very careful with leaving out small things when there's a baby. Also teach them to keep an eye on the baby. My 3 and 4 year old used to scream for me when they saw the baby putting something in her mouth.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 9:55 am
Baby is 15 months. He is walking and can go anywhere in the house.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 9:59 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I keep all bedroom & bathroom doors closed so the baby can't get in. Most kitchen cabinets are locked. The house is baby proofed and baby can only reach things that are safe.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 9:59 am
I do not allow older kids to play with small toys while I have a crawling baby. It’s way too dangerous. There shouldn’t be any coins or small lego or playmobil anywhere in baby’s reach. You can make one room in your home a place that your kids could play with these items if they must, but then don’t allow your baby to ever go into that specific room.
Babies will pick up whatever they find and they will put it in their mouths . It’s part of exploration. But it’s a known fact that they should not have access to any item that is a choking hazard .
Sometimes you need to clean the floors more when you have a crawling baby, move couches and furniture to make sure there are no small things lying around.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 10:00 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

You can block access to certain rooms with safety gates.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 10:03 am
So two choices... Either be more viligant and yes keep an eye on him at all times, or properly baby proof your house. Some babies are just drawn to dangerous things more than others.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 10:10 am
You need to babgproof. You’re way too blasé. I work in a children’s hospital. Baby proofing is a lot easier than a scary hospital admission because your baby swallowed whatever small toys and coins were within reach.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 10:39 am
thunderstorm wrote:
You can block access to certain rooms with safety gates.
Yes, or I had the older ones take the activity to their room and lock the door.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 10:41 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Unless he’s a real climber you should still be able to keep things on the high shelves. If not, use locks. If he can open the child locks then get real locks.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 10:49 am
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
You need to babgproof. You’re way too blasé. I work in a children’s hospital. Baby proofing is a lot easier than a scary hospital admission because your baby swallowed whatever small toys and coins were within reach.

This!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 11:00 am
Thank you all.
To the poster who said I'm too blase, you are right. I am too laid back in general. Especially since this child also has many allergies, and I have to be super careful about that as well. I should explain that this is baby #7, and none of my other kids put stuff in their mouths. Or stuck their hands in the toilet. Or ran out of the front door if it was left ajar. This is a first for me so I'm just not used to it.

Anyway, he kept toddling off and coming back with coins in his mouth. I finally followed him into my daughter's room and found him with his hand in her purse, which is hanging on a hook on her door, helping himself to coins. So I put the purse high up, out of reach.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics