Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Spin off... asking others to vaccinate

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 9:22 pm
We had Covid about 5-6 months ago. I got vaccinated, my husband doesn’t want to yet.
My inlaws are high risk and we haven’t seen them in person since the pandemic started. Their doctor told them to only come to us if all the adults are vaccinated- I am not sure I understand the logic, first of all, obviously the kids aren’t so if you are afraid of non vaccinated people then why is it safe to come and second shouldn’t an antibody test provide the same reassurance?
Not sure yet what my husband will do, just interesting to me why doctors are saying that

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 9:30 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
We had Covid about 5-6 months ago. I got vaccinated, my husband doesn’t want to yet.
My inlaws are high risk and we haven’t seen them in person since the pandemic started. Their doctor told them to only come to us if all the adults are vaccinated- I am not sure I understand the logic, first of all, obviously the kids aren’t so if you are afraid of non vaccinated people then why is it safe to come and second shouldn’t an antibody test provide the same reassurance?
Not sure yet what my husband will do, just interesting to me why doctors are saying that

The doctors are just trying to find a balance for the high risk patients. He is telling them to take whatever precautions are available to protect their lives while still considering the idea that life has to continue.

I just wonder if it would be anything but CV, would there still be so much resistance to do whatever it takes to protect the lives of the high risk? If God-forbid there would be a family member that is significantly immunosuppressed, wouldn't one take all the necessary precautions that are available?.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 9:40 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
The doctors are just trying to find a balance for the high risk patients. He is telling them to take whatever precautions are available to protect their lives while still considering the idea that life has to continue.

I just wonder if it would be anything but CV, would there still be so much resistance to do whatever it takes to protect the lives of the high risk? If God-forbid there would be a family member that is significantly immunosuppressed, wouldn't one take all the necessary precautions that are available?.

So The main reason my husband doesn’t want to is because he can’t afford to be sick for 2-3 days after and because he is assuming he has antibodies . He is not on salary and doesn’t get sick days. He is ok with doing it over the summer.
It doesn’t seem like a rush because The assumption is we are still immune.
I guess I don’t fully understand how the vaccine protects others if one can still get and transmit Covid, just more minor case.

DrMom

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 1:17 am
notshanarishona wrote:
So The main reason my husband doesn’t want to is because he can’t afford to be sick for 2-3 days after and because he is assuming he has antibodies . He is not on salary and doesn’t get sick days. He is ok with doing it over the summer.
I guess I don’t fully understand how the vaccine protects others if one can still get and transmit Covid, just more minor case.

Instead of assuming that he has antibodies, perhaps he can get tested for antibodies? Maybe you'll find that he is already immune.

BTW, most people I know were not sick for 2-3 days after being vaccinated! Most of my acquaintances (I realize that is not a scientific sample) felt a little weak the very next day and that's it. I felt absolutely fine, except for a sore arm.

Edited to add: If you DH gets covid again, he'll be out for more than 2-3 days, so that's also something to consider...

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 2:22 am
DrMom wrote:
Instead of assuming that he has antibodies, perhaps he can get tested for antibodies? Maybe you'll find that he is already immune.

BTW, most people I know were not sick for 2-3 days after being vaccinated! Most of my acquaintances (I realize that is not a scientific sample) felt a little weak the very next day and that's it. I felt absolutely fine, except for a sore arm.

Edited to add: If you DH gets covid again, he'll be out for more than 2-3 days, so that's also something to consider...

Really? It was so bad here that a school had to cancel the day after the vaccine because so many teachers called in sick. I definitely wasn’t the only one. My colleague had 105 degree fever!

fleetwood

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 3:19 am
notshanarishona wrote:
Really? It was so bad here that a school had to cancel the day after the vaccine because so many teachers called in sick. I definitely wasn’t the only one. My colleague had 105 degree fever!

I also got sick ,but if you get the shot Fri p.m.,you may feel sick over the weekend and will be ok for work Monday.

DrMom

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 3:28 am
notshanarishona wrote:

Vaccinated individuals who happen to get infected transmit the virus to others far less effectively than unvaccinated people do.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 4:00 am
notshanarishona wrote:

I got vaccinated on Thursday evening and had a sore arm on Friday was feeling sick with a fever on Shabbos and a bit tired on Sunday, fine by Monday. I chose this timing as not to affect my work

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 5:02 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
I got vaccinated on Thursday evening and had a sore arm on Friday was feeling sick with a fever on Shabbos and a bit tired on Sunday, fine by Monday. I chose this timing as not to affect my work

Well, he also can’t be incapacitated all Shabbos.. I am not physically able to take care of the kids all day myself. Whatever, we’ll figure it out.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 5:26 am
Those who had covid and have antibodies have stronger reactions to the vaccine.
If he gets tested and shows presence of antibodies, him getting a vaccine isn't any more protective of your in laws.

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 5:28 am
Sorry OP. You're in a hard place.
I delayed getting the shot because scheduling was before Pesach and over chol hamoed and I didn't want to be out of commission. I got it close to 2 weeks ago. I got the J&J. I should mention that in late March of last year I got a pretty strong case of corona, probably should have had oxygen a day or two but pulse oxes weren't available and I rode it out. (Shomer pesayim Hashem?)
I was tested 8 months later and still had antibodies. I wonder if I still had before getting the shot.

OK,, now you have the background. I had mild nausea the two mornings after the shot. The next evening, like 33 hours after the shot, I had fever, close to 102, and was exhausted that night. BH the next morning I was fine. And if this detail helps, I'm 50 something.

I was thinking of advising you this: If he's inclined to get the shot, and there's any way for you to get a mother's helper for a few days, or some sort of support, maybe he should go for it. But I don't know if it's good advice. I really don't know what to say. Evidently I was lucky bH.

Roots

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 9:25 am
first vaccine I had a sore arm
second vaccine all I had was a sore arm, which hurt less because my friend told me to keep moving my arm all around which helped I guess. I think the friday idea was the best option.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 10:19 am
The doctor is following party line and I agree it makes no sense if your husband has antibodies now. Some people were quite ill, fever, muscle aches etc. after the vaccine so let him test himself and use common sense especially if there are unvaccinated children in the house anyway and the doctor is fine with that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics