Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
ISO child therapist for OCD
1  2  Next

Mrs. Sunshine

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 4:01 pm
Hi,
I live in Brooklyn and I'm looking for a therapist that can help my child deal with her OCD.
Child is 7 years old. Please recommend someone you know that is good.
She examines her food and will not eat it if someone touches it or breathes on it (as in comes too close to it) and asks repeated questions. We are not looking into Pandas we are looking for a therapist. Thank You!

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 4:04 pm
Has she been diagnosed with OCD?
The Center for Anxiety specializes in anxiety disorders. They have therapists who specialize in working with children.

Mrs. Sunshine

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 8:00 pm
she was not officially diagnosed but she definitely has anxiety and the anxiety looks like OCD.
thanks for the recommendation. Do you have any experience with the anxiety center?
or anyone else have recommendations

anonymrs

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 8:31 pm
Can I ask why you don't want to look into pandas?

Mrs. Sunshine

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 9:00 pm
because even if it is Pandas I still need to deal with it with therapy... and I dont want to be treating pandas with antibiotics for years and years and she will inevitably get strep again. I also have not heard from anyone that their child was cured from pandas so whats the point in all the complicated treatments? im not looking to put anyone down -Im honestly asking

amother
Black

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 9:43 pm
Mrs. Sunshine wrote:
because even if it is Pandas I still need to deal with it with therapy... and I dont want to be treating pandas with antibiotics for years and years and she will inevitably get strep again. I also have not heard from anyone that their child was cured from pandas so whats the point in all the complicated treatments? im not looking to put anyone down -Im honestly asking
My child is not cured but she has gained in 6 months of antibiotics more than she ever could have in any amount of therapy. And I’m a therapist, so I would know.

Mrs. Sunshine

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 10:11 pm
Wow that’s amazing. I like hearing that people have had success with pandas treatment.

But Isn’t the whole antibiotics regimen controversial?
And also why doesn’t the regimen work completely if the antibiotics is supposedly addressing the root of the problem?

amother
Black

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 10:16 pm
Mrs. Sunshine wrote:
Wow that’s amazing. I like hearing that people have had success with pandas treatment.

But Isn’t the whole antibiotics regimen controversial?
And also why doesn’t the regimen work completely if the antibiotics is supposedly addressing the root of the problem?
Its a complicated disease with many moving parts. I wish I had clear answers for you. But I can tell you with everything I have that however flawed the medical treatments are, they are still superior to therapy. At the very least, do them both at the same time.

anonymrs

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 10:24 pm
As long as a child's brain is on fire, no therapy in the world can help. There are different pathways to address post-infectious brain inflammation, at least enough so the child can be receptive the the therapy.

amother
Black

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 10:25 pm
anonymrs wrote:
As long as a child's brain is on fire, no therapy in the world can help. There are different pathways to address post-infectious brain inflammation, at least enough so the child can be receptive the the therapy.
Couldn’t agree more.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 2:47 am
Are there ways to help
The child other than antibiotics?
Also are there tests to determine if the child for sure has pandas?

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 9:15 am
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
Are there ways to help

If you're open-minded, yes.
No.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 10:36 am
You don't know for a fact that it's OCD. It could be any number of things, like sensory issues or even some kind of trauma.

Mrs. Sunshine

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 3:16 pm
how am I suppose to get a diagnosis

amother
Black

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 6:04 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
Are there ways to help
There are no definitive tests that can rule it in or out, as of now it’s a clinical diagnosis. You could look into the Cunningham panel but it’s generally not covered by insurance. In terms of treatment, there are many many roads you can go down, and different kids respond differently to different protocols. However, not treating at all is worse than treating with antibiotics. Unless you know a ton about alternative treatments and are ready to implement aggressive protocols right away, it’s probably best to get your kid on antibiotics ASAP. Saying this as someone who spent way too much precious time exploring different options because I didn’t want long term antibiotics, and regretting it bitterly.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 6:20 pm
I wish someone had mentioned pandas to me years ago when my anxious son at 6 started presenting a lot of OCD symptoms. We didn’t realize till he was 12 that all the symptoms he’s been dealing with could be due to pandas. He’s suffered so much. Hatzlacha in helping your child, yes therapy can help if the brains not inflamed. Go to a pandas literate doctor, they can do blood work and see if any underlying causes such as strep, mycoplasma, Lyme..... Refuah shelama , it’s a clinical diagnosis and not clear cut treatment , but worth trying your best if you’re child is still young

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 6:24 pm
Mrs. Sunshine wrote:

I think your mindset is wrong. As a pandas parent , I also wanted to avoid meds in every way, but what happens with some of these kids is they have episodes of really bad flares and then calm,or they just get worse. so I used to think oh he’s ok, and then the next flare came and I cried to Hashem my poor child needs to deal with so much .... you need to believe you can help your child, yes do therapy, see how it goes but at the same time don’t ignore a possible pandas diagnosis. May Hashem send the refuah for all children dealing with this and any illness and for their parents to have clarity and kochos to get the right help for their child

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 9:01 pm
Can a child have pandas and not a positive strep culture test?

amother
Black

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 9:06 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
Can a child have pandas and not a positive strep culture test?
Absolutely. First off, pandas is technically a post infectious disorder, so by definition it would only start once the infection is gone. That being said, a lot of pandas kids end up with chronic subclinical infections where the strep is either hiding deep inside the tonsils, elsewhere in the body, or just in very very low levels not detectable on the culture. For all these reasons it’s actually very common for pandas kids to almost never have positive strep cultures.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 9:19 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
Absolutely. First off, pandas is technically a post infectious disorder, so by definition it would only start once the infection is gone. That being said, a lot of pandas kids end up with chronic subclinical infections where the strep is either hiding deep inside the tonsils, elsewhere in the body, or just in very very low levels not detectable on the culture. For all these reasons it’s actually very common for pandas kids to almost never have positive strep cultures.

My Dr (Dr Norowitz) is an incredible Dr but does not believe strongly in PANDAS. Who should I go to check it out?
Or can it be that my son is just dealing with greif from loosing zeidy?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children