Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
How do you live with a filter?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 9:07 pm
So I want to put a filter on my phone and laptop but I’m afraid it won’t let me order lingerie and google *private* things I need to know about. Any tips/ ideas/ suggestions?

Stars

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 9:43 pm
Tag lets you choose what you want to block. You can always go back and adjust.

Ihatepotatoes

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 9:53 pm
So when my husband and tried figuring out what we wanted to protect ourselves online we realized it basically boiled down to two things;
1) protecting ourselves from accidental exposure to things we didn't want to be exposed to
and
2) Willfully exposing ourselves to things that aren't appropriate.

So what we did was get Webchaver with their optional filtering. The filter protects us against accidentally seeing things, and the Covenant Eyes software that sends reports (with screenshots!) of potentially problematic material to both my husband and I, as well as our Rav, protects us against one of us trying to hide something.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 10:08 pm
I don't understand why adults need a filter.

I have been on the internet for 20 years and have not been corrupted. Nothing relating to p*orn or other questionable stuff ever pops up on my screen nor have I ever deliberately searched for it.

I pretty much have tunnel vision so I don't even see ads unless they are annoying because they obscure content. But ads that pop up for me aren't for anything lewd or s*exual anyway.

What exactly comes up inadvertently and what are you worried will be tempting? What leads me astray is impulse purchases of accessories, clothing and an occasional box of candy. LOL because it is so easy to spend money on the internet with one click.

Ihatepotatoes

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 10:10 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
I don't understand why adults need a filter.

I have been on the internet for 20 years and have not been corrupted. Nothing relating to p*orn or other questionable stuff ever pops up on my screen nor have I ever deliberately searched for it.

I pretty much have tunnel vision so I don't even see ads unless they are annoying because they obscure content. But ads that pop up for me aren't for anything lewd or s*exual anyway.

Lucky you. There are many people who thought the the same, or whose husbands thought the same. Mistakes and weak moments happen. And a husband feeling very down about himself who then lacks the willpower to stop looking at things he accidentally started seeing needs a filter. Plus, once there are teenagers in the house....

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 10:16 pm
The problem is I don’t want my husband searching or looking at the stuff I do... and I would never want my kids to get access!
If I would use tag- what should I tell them? I’m embarrassed to say that I order lingerie like that’s not appropriate to discuss with a random man. And that I sometimes need to google why my nipple looks the way it does or if it’s normal to have two different size boobs...

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 10:25 pm
I have this exact problem!! How to explain to tag that I enjoy cooking videos and yes do have random questions related to being a woman that I search.

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 10:26 pm
I hate Covenant Eyes. I've never used it. It was on a used computer I had. I consider it malware.

Ihatepotatoes

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 10:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The problem is I don’t want my husband searching or looking at the stuff I do... and I would never want my kids to get access!
If I would use tag- what should I tell them? I’m embarrassed to say that I order lingerie like that’s not appropriate to discuss with a random man. And that I sometimes need to google why my nipple looks the way it does or if it’s normal to have two different size boobs...

I chose my husband but you don't have to. Is there a relative or friend who you believe wouldn't be in your face about it?

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 10:37 pm
Ihatepotatoes wrote:
I chose my husband but you don't have to. Is there a relative or friend who you believe wouldn't be in your face about it?

I’ve googled many a thing that I wouldn’t want a friend to see but are perfectly innocuous
-phone number of Mikva in Kalamazoo
-5 weeks pregnant and tired /nausea/ whatever symptom
-random personal health question

cnc

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 10:49 pm
I have a filter on my phone because my kids and other people can access it.

My laptop is not filtered- I’m the only person that uses it and has access to it. Occasionally when my phone filter won’t allow me to order things (DVD player, underwear?) or view certain pages - I just do it on my laptop.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 10:51 pm
I have Nativ which I'm decently happy with. I have it set on pretty relaxed setting so I can allow sites as needed. You can also allow sites with a timer so it's only for a certain amount of time, and then it's blocked again. I'll do that for instance for lingerie-- I'll add shein.com with images (usually there's image graying) for an hour. It sends you an email if you do that even if you have your password saved so if you're worried about your husband accessing, you get notified.

I used to have Youtube access with Nativ as well where you allowed one video at a time and officially someone at TAG was checking it?

I don't love their customer service, but my point is you can definitely make a filter work for you.

yidisheh mama

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 10:54 pm
Techloq doesn't slow down my computer, and they let you choose what you want to block when you install it through them directly. I heard that TAG in certain areas automatically block certain things.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 10:59 pm
My husbands and my phone don’t have filters. I would get one just for the kids even though they don’t get to touch it. But another day goes by...

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 11:42 pm
I prefer to use filters like Norton Family or NetNanny, where I can control what categories are blocked and whitelist a site myself if necessary.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 11:46 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
I’ve googled many a thing that I wouldn’t want a friend to see but are perfectly innocuous
-phone number of Mikva in Kalamazoo
-5 weeks pregnant and tired /nausea/ whatever symptom
-random personal health question

Off topic, but is there really a Mikva in Kalamazoo?

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 9:40 am
We have Gentech. They've approved everything I've asked for though not immediately.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 9:44 am
Dh is a med student. We have nativ on his computer, that basically allows everything. They do have gray images..
we have gen tech on our phones..

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 9:44 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:
I have Nativ which I'm decently happy with. I have it set on pretty relaxed setting so I can allow sites as needed. You can also allow sites with a timer so it's only for a certain amount of time, and then it's blocked again. I'll do that for instance for lingerie-- I'll add shein.com with images (usually there's image graying) for an hour. It sends you an email if you do that even if you have your password saved so if you're worried about your husband accessing, you get notified.

I used to have Youtube access with Nativ as well where you allowed one video at a time and officially someone at TAG was checking it?

I don't love their customer service, but my point is you can definitely make a filter work for you.

Nativ is extremely easy to bypass. I wouldn't recommend.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 3:51 pm
I don't have or need filters. I'm a responsible grownup.

I have apps like AdBlock, PopupBlock, and YouTube AdBlock. Not because I'm afraid to see something, but just because I don't like being annoyed.

If your DH or children need filters, that's a different conversation.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics