Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections
Beading / Jewelry Making Question

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 10:48 pm
Hi,

Does anyone have experience with beading / jewelry making? My daughter recently got into it and I think it's a great hobby for her: she's creative, detail oriented, and artsy. I ordered her basic string - like that thin, clear, plastic thread - and tons of different beads and fake gems. The thing we're having a hard time with is the knotting, and I'm sure there must be a smart, technologically advanced solution we're not aware of. Currently she keeps just tying multiple knots on the end of that plastic string so that the beads don't come off as she's working, and then just knotting it together again... but if you're familiar with that string you know, it doesn't even knot properly! It isn't like cloth thread that actually knots. Hard to explain but I guess if you're into beading you'll know what I mean. So the question is, is there some smart, easy, fumble-free way of (1) sealing one end of the string as you're beading, and (2) sealing the bracelet / necklace when you're done?

Thank you!

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 10:50 pm
Beadalon, crimps and clasps.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 10:52 pm
Thanks, do you mind to give a bit more detail? I'm not so crafty myself so having a hard time figuring it out. Don't want to order the wrong thing.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 10:53 pm
https://www.beadalon.com/conte.....e.asp

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 10:59 pm
Or clear elastic line. Fishing line is worthless for stringing.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 11:06 pm
You can use a small binder clip to hold the end while you string.

To end a bracelet you make a surgeon's knot (it's an overhand know but you go through twice) and then a regular overhand. I usually do that twice & then put on a drop of clear nail polish. I let it dry for a while & then cut off the ends. I usually use elastic thread only for bracelets. It comes in 0.5 or 1 mm (& other sizes) & depends on the size holes in the beads.

I've bought a lot from Michaels but also from firemountaingems & artbeads. All of them have lots of videos.

I try to use a slightly larger bead at the end with a slightly larger hole so the knot can be pulled inside once the nail polish (or glue) dries.

She can google & watch all kinds of videos & learn how to knot on silk thread too.

I also sometimes use eye pins & connect them with jump rings to make a necklace that's all links.

If she doesn't use internet there are books. Try googling "Bead stringing" videos or books.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics