Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Is it worth to try cutting my wig by non jew?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 10:33 pm
Had it cut twice by frum person (leaving enough extra to still cut)
Nothing special...it needs more. And I dont want to pay a fortune.
My single sister told me of professional non jewish woman that specializes in cutting only. But no experience on wigs.
Did anyone try sucha thing? Should I risk it?

DrMom

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 10:36 pm
Why does the religion of your (haircutter? sheitel cutter? you didn't explain) matter?

What matters is the result.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 10:51 pm
DrMom wrote:
Why does the religion of your (haircutter? sheitel cutter? you didn't explain) matter?

What matters is the result.

I don't care about the religion part. I'm mentioning it to explain why she has no experience with wigs. She solely does haircuts on hair and I'm wondering if wigs can be cut with that same expertise.

DrMom

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 11:39 pm
I see you edited the thread title so I now know you are talking about wigs.

So the issue is not her religion but her experience cutting wigs.

I'd be wary of taking a wig to someone with no experience cutting wigs. It's not like it can grow back if you don't like it. Would she even agree to cut a wig?

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 2:38 am
Have her cut your hair first, and if you like what she did, then bring her the wig to cut while you wear it.

invisiblecircus

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 2:44 am
I'd try and find someone else, either Jewish or not, who has experience cutting wigs.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 6:50 am
My Spanish neighbor is a sheitel macher. She's serves the Yiddish community. Nobody else.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 7:06 am
African American salons do it all the time, and they know exactly what they are doing. Many African American women enjoy straight hair wigs, so texture won't be an issue.

I promise you, they won't give you a hard time, and they'll be grateful for the business. If they do a good job, let them know that you'll be passing on their info to all of your friends.

There is a salon in Seattle like this, and now they get almost all of the frum business in the area. It's a great relationship!

trixx

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 7:47 am
I'd be very very wary. And no African American wigs aren't the same at all. I once walked into a wig store / salon to buy a purim wig and they were in complete shock when I pulled off my sheitel.
I wouldn't use someone who doesn't have extensive experience cutting wigs. Real human hair, not Paula Young synthetic stuff.

amother
White

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 9:47 am
If you got repeated positive references, I'd go for it. I have myself and been happy, but I would want to be sure she knows sheitels.

avrahamama

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 9:57 am
I used to get my hair done at Bumble and Bumble a higher end salon in manhattan. They had so much experience with wigs as they did a lot of fashion and photo shoots. A lot of those models you see on covers of magazines are wearing wigs. Also they have more experience with natural and synthetic.

The difference is style. Each type of stylist *frum*, black, trendy salon will have more experience cutting what works in their circle.

tichellady

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 10:12 am
I would not go to someone without experience with wigs. I had a non Jewish woman cut my wig who has a lot of experience with wigs and was happy. Issue isn’t religion but experience with wigs

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 11:18 am
tichellady wrote:
I would not go to someone without experience with wigs. I had a non Jewish woman cut my wig who has a lot of experience with wigs and was happy. Issue isn’t religion but experience with wigs
This

isrmss91

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 11:36 am
Religion should not be a factor. Experience would be my concern. If she has never cut a wig before, then that should make your decision.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 10:36 am

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 11:23 am
Ok. No, she has amazing cutting skills, but not specifically wigs. Thank you all.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics