Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
First time home buyers

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 6:28 am
We are in the process of buying a house for the first time. We are already pre-approved for a mortgage up to a certain amount, so that's taken care of. Now we're actually looking. What are the next steps? We would like to use a broker (we a few recommended names). Do you pick one and stick with that person? Also, what if you're using a broker but see a good listing that's by owner? Can you still have a broker on your end? Also do you need a lawyer for the closing? Or does the broker take care of all that?

Also accepting any other general advice for first timers!

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 6:38 am
Most states require you to have a lawyer.
We started with a broker, but ended up finding a sale by owner and didn't use the broker, just a lawyer.

groovy1224

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 6:42 am
Hatzlacha on the house search!

I didn't know this until I read it on this site, but in certain areas, it's considered bad etiquette to work with more than one realtor. So maybe ask around in your area about that. When I bought my home, I worked with more than one broker from different agencies, since they each had different 'off market' houses to show me.

If you see a listing that's by owner, I personally would go see it myself. When someone lists a house on their own, it's because they don't want to pay a broker. So it gets kind of sticky when you want to bring in a buyer's agent. Again, this may be area specific but in my area, if you bring in a buyer's agent to a FSBO you won't get the house. But that should be something you can ask your broker about.
Yes, you will need an attorney to represent you for the closing. You can do some research into that now if you like, or your broker can recommend someone when the time comes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics