Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Palette Expander for a 7 year old - Please advise

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 11:08 am
Does anyone have any advice for me. My child’s dentist sent us to an ortho as my son is crazy crowded and the teeth can’t come down. The ortho we went to advised a palette expander. I want to make sure I am doing the right thing as my son is young and I don’t want him to have it if it’s unnecessary. Any input or experiences to share?
Thanks in advance!!

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 11:10 am
Yes why not? I had a palette expander as a kid. I still have a narrow mouth and problems and can’t imagine what would be had I not had it.
Why don’t you trust the orthodontist? Is there a reason you don’t want it?

Chayalle

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 11:14 am
Two of my DD's had palette expanders. They had them together with braces. But they were a little older when they got it - more like 12 or 13. My little one actually got it last year at age 12. I remember my oldest got hers in 8th grade, and it was amazing actually, because she got the palette expander first, and it moved her front teeth into a straight line, which was perfect for her graduation pictures. Right after that, the braces went on.....I think the expander was put in a month before the braces. They work together, expanding the jaw area, and straightening the teeth.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 12:35 pm
7 is a great age. The palate is only flexible for a few years. Once the palate fuses, an expander is not an option anymore. It also helps to widen the airway and helps with enlarged tonsils, adenoids, fluid in the ears etc.

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 1:00 pm
Palette extenders are excellent. My daughter did it.

The alternative is to PULL TEETH.

Why do that when you can extend the pallette? Makes for more attractive appearance.

fleetwood

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 1:05 pm
My daughter had it. Just a word of advice..take a video of the orthodontist turning the key so you will know what to do at home. Good luck.

cookiewriter

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 1:08 pm
Mine had at that age too. They jaw is more flexible as they’re growing.
Be prepared to give Advil first couple days. Make sure u go to an ortho u trust and u like the way his patients teeth look afterwards.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 1:25 pm
My son had a palate expander and headgear (to push his underbite back) at age 8. It was rough for the first couple of days but he adjusted quickly and it did the job. However, his teeth are still pretty crowded and he may still end up needed to have some teeth extracted. He's 12 now and the orthodontists didn't want to put him in braces yet, so we're not sure what will happen yet. My 7-year-old daughter has the same crowding issue (just like I did, so apparently it's hereditary, because I did need teeth pulled) and I plan to bring her in soon.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics