Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
PSA: eczema that won't go away
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 6:57 pm
My baby is now 16 months. He has had eczema since about 3 or 4 months. From then until now he has seen the pediatrician, dermatologist and 2 different allergists, each several times.
They all prescribed different creams and regimens for his eczema.
The eczema is not terrible. At times it seemed mostly under control, at times it would flare up.
But there was always a small patch on his chin that never went away. No matter how much I paid attention, using creams and hydrocortisone, it was always there. Sometimes worse and sometimes better.

The last time I went to the allergist he said, let me check the chin area because maybe there is bacteria growing on it.
He took a sample to send to the lab. The result is that it was a heavy growth of bacteria. Doctor prescribed a round of medication and now the patch is GONE.

I'm posting this in case it could help another mother out there. I never knew this was a thing. This is my first son with eczema. I can't believe he had this bacteria growing on his chin for over a year!
If you have a similar situation, ask your doctor to check if the area is infected.

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 8:19 pm
This is a a very basic thing. Anytime the skin is broken bacteria can get in. If your prior dermatologists didn’t get a culture and give you antibiotic cream, it’s time to find a new doctor.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 11:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My baby is now 16 months. He has had eczema since about 3 or 4 months. From then until now he has seen the pediatrician, dermatologist and 2 different allergists, each several times.
They all prescribed different creams and regimens for his eczema.
The eczema is not terrible. At times it seemed mostly under control, at times it would flare up.
But there was always a small patch on his chin that never went away. No matter how much I paid attention, using creams and hydrocortisone, it was always there. Sometimes worse and sometimes better.

The last time I went to the allergist he said, let me check the chin area because maybe there is bacteria growing on it.
He took a sample to send to the lab. The result is that it was a heavy growth of bacteria. Doctor prescribed a round of medication and now the patch is GONE.

I'm posting this in case it could help another mother out there. I never knew this was a thing. This is my first son with eczema. I can't believe he had this bacteria growing on his chin for over a year!
If you have a similar situation, ask your doctor to check if the area is infected.

Thank you for posting. Are you able to tell me what antibiotic he was given? As I was just given anti biotic for something similiar and want to know if this is the same thing...

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 8:54 am
My dd often gets it infected. When she scratches and it breaks the skin, it opens it up to infection. I actually find putting diaper rash ointment helps prevent the infection as it's a barrier cream. If the eczema goes into a hard patch and has any odd color or smell, it usually means it's infected.
My dr usually prescribes a antibiotic/steroid cream which usually works.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 9:15 am
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
Thank you for posting. Are you able to tell me what antibiotic he was given? As I was just given anti biotic for something similiar and want to know if this is the same thing...

This is what it says on the bottle:
SULFATRIM PEDIATRIC SUSP(Cherry)

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 9:24 am
Topically, try using "triple paste" diaper cream. I don't know if you need a prescription where you are, but it works really well.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 9:28 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

That’s bactrim I believe

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 9:30 am

Her doctor prescribed this based on the bacteria that grew on the culture, which may be a different bacteria than the infection you’re dealing with and or may not be sensitive to that bacteria.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 10:10 am
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Her doctor prescribed this based on the bacteria that grew on the culture, which may be a different bacteria than the infection you’re dealing with and or may not be sensitive to that bacteria.

Right. She wouldn't be able to get a prescription without the culture anyway.
In case this helps, the report from the lab said "Heavy growth of Staphylococcus aureus"

HakarasHatov

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 10:22 am
My dc would get skin infections so my doctor said to put a cap of bleach in the bath as a preventative measure to keep infections at bay.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 10:44 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Just curious, how did the Dr actually take a culture?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 11:05 am
Just curious, how did the Dr actually take a culture?

With a long q-tip. I think it was first dipped into a solution, then the nurse swabbed at the area a few times and then put it into a solution.
I guess similar to a strep culture in the throat.
It took a few days to get the result.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 11:23 am
Just beware that many people react to Bactrim and I'd be more nervous with a child who breaks out in eczema - a very "allergy" type of reaction. I don't want to alarm you but if your child breaks out in a rash, call your doctor.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 11:26 am
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
Just beware that many people react to Bactrim and I'd be more nervous with a child who breaks out in eczema - a very "allergy" type of reaction. I don't want to alarm you but if your child breaks out in a rash, call your doctor.

You mean SJS?

It’s pretty rare.. but yes, always good to be on alert.

Also op, probiotics- if he’s not on it yet- super important with abx.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 11:35 am
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:

Interesting! Baby did have a very rosy face the first few days on it. I didn't think anything of it because the dr who prescribed it knows of my son's allergies.
Um..im not sure if its a rash or part of his eczema..

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 11:36 am
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
You mean SJS?

No..I never gave him probiotics. Where would I buy that? Is it otc?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 11:42 am
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
You mean SJS?

I looked up sjs. His redder than usual face looked nothing like what was described.
It just looked like a little redness, like a regular eczema flareup.

My baby often wakes up with red shiners under his eyes or red around his cheeks. I never know why. I am very careful not to give him any of his allergens.

The only thing I sometimes think of is that it has to do with my diet, as he is still nursing. But the dr told me NOT to avoid any foods in my own diet. What

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 11:51 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No..I never gave him probiotics. Where would I buy that? Is it otc?

Yes- otc
Health food store or even amazon

Some are better than others. If you’re buying in health food store ask for one that’s good for a kid with allergies that’s on antibiotics and they’ll tell you how much to space it from antibiotics.
Something with saccharomyces boulardii strain should be good.
Let us know if you need help

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 11:53 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Interesting! Baby did have a very rosy face the first few days on it. I didn't think anything of it because the dr who prescribed it knows of my son's allergies.
Um..im not sure if its a rash or part of his eczema..

SJS gets worse, not better. It’s not something that can be known. It’s a severe rare side effect and it can happen from many different medications.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 11:56 am
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Yes- otc
Health food store or even amazon

Some are better than others. If you’re buying in health food store ask for one that’s good for a kid with allergies that’s on antibiotics and they’ll tell you how much to space it from antibiotics.
Something with saccharomyces boulardii strain should be good.
Let us know if you need help

It probably needs a hechsher, no?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics