Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
What neighborhood should I move to in DALLAS

metacognizant

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 8:43 pm
Hi! I'm in the beginning stages of planning my family's move from Brooklyn to Dallas. My husband works for Cisco (currently he's working remote) and he's going to be called back to the office in the fall. While he probably could quit and look for a different job in NYC, he's at the beginning of a career that has a lot more potential if he continues to be a Cisco "company man." Basically it's a $$ decision that I can't say no to.

The thing is, I love Brooklyn, my family has been in NYC for 4 generations, and I love the urban lifestyle. And I understand Dallas couldn't be more different. I've been looking at houses in the Far North Dallas eruv and I can't even FIND anything smaller than 3500 sq feet. Why does anyone want to live in a house that big???

Right now in Brooklyn I live on a small, intimate court of tiny houses and when I look out my window at almost any time I can see 4-12 kids of all ages playing, having fun, hanging out, and just learning from each other how to be human beings. It's great for my 4 year old son because not only does he have kids to play with but the socializing happens organically, without planning. Same for the adults too.

Anyway, for Dallas ladies, are you aware of a Jewish neighborhood in/near Dallas where the kids play outside in public? Where I could look out my front window, see other kids playing, and say to my son, "look, the kids are playing, you go out and play too!" Someplace where people sit on their front porches, or whatever the equivalent of a stoop is, and shmuze with their neighbors in an unplanned way? It's a small thing I ask but maybe in Texas suburbia this just isn't a thing?

My husband and I think we'd be happiest at the shuls in Far North Dallas however we would consider any neighborhood, even one where the shuls were not perfect for us, if it had the right vibe as a community.

I appreciate any information (including broker referrals)!

metacognizant

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 12:39 pm
I'm bumping this because I posted in the middle of the night yesterday... not ideal for getting the thread seen. Anyone?

out-of-towner

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 1:36 pm
The thing with Dallas is that most houses have a lot of land, and as such there's not really a ton of people in your immediate vacinity. So it won't be like people sitting on their pourches and schmoozing unless you live in an apartment or townhouse, which some do but many don't.

I haven't lived in Dallas for many years so I can't really tell you specific blocks...

metacognizant

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 1:38 pm
out-of-towner wrote:
The thing with Dallas is that most houses have a lot of land, and as such there's not really a ton of people in your immediate vacinity. So it won't be like people sitting on their pourches and schmoozing unless you live in an apartment or townhouse, which some do but many don't.

I haven't lived in Dallas for many years so I can't really tell you specific blocks...

It seems like some "planned communities" might be built with the houses facing a common area or playground though. Does anyone know about this? Do Jews live there?

I'd also be OK with living in a planned community that is mostly non Jews... I figure my kids will meet Jewish kids to play with at shul, but if they don't see kids playing out the window they're just not going to leave the house as easily as they do now.

out-of-towner

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 1:46 pm
I don't know what you are talking about, as I mentioned I haven't lived in Dallas in a number of years and haven't been back in like 6 years, but Plano sounds like it might be a bit more up your alley. I know that there is now an Eruv there, and I understand that it is a growing and thriving community that's just a few miles north of the North Dallas Eruv. The Shuls there are Chabad of Plano (the Rav and Rebbitzen and family are amazing, just saying), and Data of Plano (which the Rabbanim and families are also amazing).

DallasIma

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 1:56 pm
Hi and glad you're moving here!! I'm older and my kids are long grown (and they've never lived here), but I live in the Far North Dallas eruv and I can tell you a few things. Not all the houses have THAT much land or are THAT big (or expensive), especially in this eruv. We don't really have "front porches" here though - more like front yards, and generally they are not fenced. Back yards are usually fenced.

I don't walk around a lot, except on Shabbat, and I live in a different quadrant of the eruv from most of the residents who have kids, but there are streets to the north of me (I.e. west of Hillcrest and north of McCallum, if you want to plot that on a map) where I do see kids outside on Shabbat. The most heavily Jewish block is Hyacinth, but good luck finding a house there - those are at a premium. I've been at women's meetings around here where kids are constantly coming in and out of a house to visit their friends, so there is that kind of social interaction. That being said, whether you live in Texas or Tanzania (I just picked Tanzania for the alliteration - I know nothing about it!), you do have to keep an eye on your kids. It isn't Brooklyn (I'm from there originally) but it only takes one bad actor CH"V to be a danger. So please keep them safe and check on them regularly no matter where you are.

We look forward to welcoming you! And this community has an AMAZING vibe!!

metacognizant

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 2:04 pm
DallasIma wrote:
Hi and glad you're moving here!! I'm older and my kids are long grown (and they've never lived here), but I live in the Far North Dallas eruv and I can tell you a few things. Not all the houses have THAT much land or are THAT big (or expensive), especially in this eruv. We don't really have "front porches" here though - more like front yards, and generally they are not fenced. Back yards are usually fenced.

I don't walk around a lot, except on Shabbat, and I live in a different quadrant of the eruv from most of the residents who have kids, but there are streets to the north of me (I.e. west of Hillcrest and north of McCallum, if you want to plot that on a map) where I do see kids outside on Shabbat. The most heavily Jewish block is Hyacinth, but good luck finding a house there - those are at a premium. I've been at women's meetings around here where kids are constantly coming in and out of a house to visit their friends, so there is that kind of social interaction. That being said, whether you live in Texas or Tanzania (I just picked Tanzania for the alliteration - I know nothing about it!), you do have to keep an eye on your kids. It isn't Brooklyn (I'm from there originally) but it only takes one bad actor CH"V to be a danger. So please keep them safe and check on them regularly no matter where you are.

We look forward to welcoming you! And this community has an AMAZING vibe!!

Thanks for this information. It sounds like if you want physical proximity to the highest concentration of SS Jews it helps to be in a certain area or even on a certain block. Would you happen to know a real estate agent in the area? Maybe while we plan out this move we could have someone on the ground looking for a house for us...

DallasIma

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 2:11 pm
metacognizant wrote:
Thanks for this information. It sounds like if you want physical proximity to the highest concentration of SS Jews it helps to be in a certain area or even on a certain block. Would you happen to know a real estate agent in the area? Maybe while we plan out this move we could have someone on the ground looking for a house for us...

I just pm'd you. Please let me know how else I can help!

metacognizant

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 2:24 pm
out-of-towner wrote:
I don't know what you are talking about, as I mentioned I haven't lived in Dallas in a number of years and haven't been back in like 6 years, but Plano sounds like it might be a bit more up your alley. I know that there is now an Eruv there, and I understand that it is a growing and thriving community that's just a few miles north of the North Dallas Eruv. The Shuls there are Chabad of Plano (the Rav and Rebbitzen and family are amazing, just saying), and Data of Plano (which the Rabbanim and families are also amazing).

Are there like different Jewish neighborhoods of Plano or is anywhere within the Plano eruv equivalent, to the best of your knowledge?

DallasIma

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 3:34 pm
metacognizant wrote:
Are there like different Jewish neighborhoods of Plano or is anywhere within the Plano eruv equivalent, to the best of your knowledge?

I don't know that much about the neighborhoods in Plano, sorry.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating