Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
Help! Buffet for 150!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 8:22 am
I have been following this thread. As someone who really enjoys planning parties, but doesn't do that on a daily basis, I completely hear what op is coming from.
I like to go all out and do everything myself as well. I am currently planning a Kiddush for my daughter and I am planning on doing it myself. It will be a whole sabbath, with about 30-50 people per meal and lots more for the actual kiddush.
My parents have also done many many many backyard/ in house simchas. Some with a party planner, and some without. They were all stunning. I think hope he is being very smart by leaving her options over to catering last minute if needed. That's what I'm doing as well.
Op everything sounds great I wouldn't change anything.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 8:26 am
I was one of the people who suggested catering probably a few pages back but I think you are just fine and right on track with everything. It’s amazing that your husband and kids are all on board.
When I made my catered bar mitzvah I was really on my own. There were a few major things happening in my life at the time and I couldn’t take the pressure that I ended up paying a party planner to take care of logistics for me. I was lucky and she asked before each purchase and gave me choices. But with your husband on your side and your enthusiasm you will be just fine! I think you’re doing great with the planning and it will turn out beautiful.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 8:43 am
DVOM wrote:
We are!

My husband made me wooden frames, and I'm painting them (I'm not sure how to describe how this will look when it's done. One will be a Jerusalem scene with the words: "I had an awesome time at Dvom's son's bar mitzvah, but still wish I was here!," another will be a jeep with lots of holes for windows for kids to poke their heads through with the something like: "These guys are going places! Great times ahead!" on it, and one more fancy, formal one made out of old windows that I'm going to decorate with flowers. I'm not describing it well, but it's gonna be cool!) we're borrowing lots of hats and funny props from people's Purim costume stashes, and setting up a little table of body glitter for the more adventurous guests.

That sounds so fun! DVOM, you are so creative! I'm always inspired by your party threads!

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 8:50 am
DVOM wrote:
We are!

My husband made me wooden frames, and I'm painting them (I'm not sure how to describe how this will look when it's done. One will be a Jerusalem scene with the words: "I had an awesome time at Dvom's son's bar mitzvah, but still wish I was here!," another will be a jeep with lots of holes for windows for kids to poke their heads through with the something like: "These guys are going places! Great times ahead!" on it, and one more fancy, formal one made out of old windows that I'm going to decorate with flowers. I'm not describing it well, but it's gonna be cool!) we're borrowing lots of hats and funny props from people's Purim costume stashes, and setting up a little table of body glitter for the more adventurous guests.

Sounds amazing!

Please, think hard about introducing glitter. It does not behave and stay where it's wanted.

DVOM

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 10:32 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Sounds amazing!

Please, think hard about introducing glitter. It does not behave and stay where it's wanted.

I totally get that. Body glitter is more of a gell, much less messy!

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 2:25 pm
DVOM, amazing ideas for what sounds like a beautiful party! I completely understand your reasons for not hiring a party planner, but is there any way you can hire someone just to be the person at charge during the event, so that you can enjoy your company and the simcha? I made a very small backyard Bar Mitzvah for my son (<20 guests) and even though we did most things (including food) ourselves), I was so happy that I hired a waitress for during the event so I did not have to be involved in serving, clearing, etc and could just enjoy the moment.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 10:25 am
Did this happen yet? How did it go? Can we get a mini-nachas report? Did you have enough support staff between waiters, neighbors, and relatives? What worked well, and what would you do differently for the next time?

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 10:27 am
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
Did this happen yet? How did it go? Can we get a mini-nachas report? Did you have enough support staff between waiters, neighbors, and relatives? What worked well, and what would you do differently for the next time?

I was also thinking about it!

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 10:33 am
I really really hope it wasn’t for this past Sunday!!
Please update us!

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 10:35 am
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
I really really hope it wasn’t for this past Sunday!!
Please update us!

What was wrong with last sunday? Rain?

keym

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 10:41 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
What was wrong with last sunday? Rain?

Heavy, heavy rain, wind and colder weather in the tristate and Lakewood area- from Friday through Sunday. It was muddy and wet.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 10:47 am
Mazel tov!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DVOM

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 4:18 pm
Hello ladies!

I meant to check back in, we've just been so busy!

So, how was the bar mitzvah?????

It was amazing. The decor came out beautiful. I ended up in and out of the hospital for the two weeks beforehand, so we ordered some of the food from a caterer. Everyone who asked if they could cook and prepare came through. It was interesting to see what food went, what we had leftovers of. We had a few extra pans of pasta, and some leftover soup, but that was really it. The homemade breads, fish, potatoes, veggies, pancakes, pizzas, quiches, were all gone by the end of the night. We did up the wait staff to 4 waiters. Hard to know if it was needed or not. They were really great, perfessional and really took care of all the serving and clearing. Bathrooms were not an issue, as far as we could tell. The weather was beautiful. I'm not very tech savvy, but I'm going to see if I could post some pics.

The biggest snag in the plans was, predictably, something I hadn't anticipated: our cleaning lady was sick, so no cleaning help, which was hard. As predicted though, one neighbor got to work with a broom and mop, my mom put an apron on top of her party dress and did a quick load of dishes, a bunch of our teen neighbors stayed till one in the morning packing away (and eating!) leftovers, another neighbor laundered our gamach tablecloths, another neighbor showed up in the morning and cleaned our kitchen...we have wonderful family and friends!

At one point during the night my son, bounding past me, hugged me and said it was the best night of his life. Totally worth all the hard work!

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 4:23 pm
Yay!! Thank you for the update. You are supermom for pulling that off, seriously impressive. Hope you're feeling good!

chili-n-cholent

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 4:25 pm
Wow! So happy it worked out, how was the weather? Did the amount of people you expected show up?

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 4:29 pm
DVOM wrote:
Hello ladies!

I meant to check back in, we've just been so busy!

So, how was the bar mitzvah?????

It was amazing. The decor came out beautiful. I ended up in and out of the hospital for the two weeks beforehand, so we ordered some of the food from a caterer. Everyone who asked if they could cook and prepare came through. It was interesting to see what food went, what we had leftovers of. We had a few extra pans of pasta, and some leftover soup, but that was really it. The homemade breads, fish, potatoes, veggies, pancakes, pizzas, quiches, were all gone by the end of the night. We did up the wait staff to 4 waiters. Hard to know if it was needed or not. They were really great, perfessional and really took care of all the serving and clearing. Bathrooms were not an issue, as far as we could tell. The weather was beautiful. I'm not very tech savvy, but I'm going to see if I could post some pics.

The biggest snag in the plans was, predictably, something I hadn't anticipated: our cleaning lady was sick, so no cleaning help, which was hard. As predicted though, one neighbor got to work with a broom and mop, my mom put an apron on top of her party dress and did a quick load of dishes, a bunch of our teen neighbors stayed till one in the morning packing away (and eating!) leftovers, another neighbor laundered our gamach tablecloths, another neighbor showed up in the morning and cleaned our kitchen...we have wonderful family and friends!

At one point during the night my son, bounding past me, hugged me and said it was the best night of his life. Totally worth all the hard work!

Mazel Tov! I'm so happy you had so much help, especially when you weren't feeling well.

What you wrote about your son is just priceless. May you only know nachas!

DVOM

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 4:30 pm
chili-n-cholent wrote:
Wow! So happy it worked out, how was the weather? Did the amount of people you expected show up?

Weather was hot, but beautiful.

It's hard to say how many people showed. People came and went. The tables filled and emptied. Really, I have no idea!!!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 4:31 pm
Wow that is amazing amazing to hear!
DVOM, you rock!! I knew you would pull it off with aplomb! Your sons are so lucky to have you BH.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 4:32 pm
Wow!!!
I’d love to see pictures
It sounds dreamy

DVOM

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 4:34 pm
C:\fakepath\_22A6474.JPG
Page 9 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days