Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
ISO child therapist for OCD
Previous  1  2

amother
Black

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 6:24 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
My Dr (Dr Norowitz) is an incredible Dr but does not believe strongly in PANDAS. Who should I go to check it out?
Or can it be that my son is just dealing with greif from loosing zeidy?
I don’t know your child or your dr but if you believe there is something more going on with your child, trust your gut and find someone who will listen to you and believe you. Where are you located?

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 6:52 pm
Brooklyn but willing to travel

Mrs. Sunshine

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 6:48 am
how do you know you are seeing results with pandas and I'm stuck on the fact that most people say they see improvement but no one says their child is back to themselves....
I cant understand why if youre treating the problem it should be gone GONE. I'm genuinely asking

amother
Black

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 12:15 pm
Mrs. Sunshine wrote:
how do you know you are seeing results with pandas and I'm stuck on the fact that most people say they see improvement but no one says their child is back to themselves....
I cant understand why if youre treating the problem it should be gone GONE. I'm genuinely asking
I know I am seeing results because I track symptoms very carefully with every new intervention we try. The reason most kids aren’t cured is because pandas is an autoimmune disorder and autoimmune disorders are notoriously difficult to reverse, and even if someone does manage to reach remission they will always carry a risk of relapse. Also, many children go untreated for years and by then there may be near-permanent damage to the wiring. Also, therapy doesn’t guarantee you a cure either. Fwiw we’ve been treating my child with pandas for 5 years and at the moment I would say she is 95% back to herself.

amother
Black

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 12:17 pm
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
Brooklyn but willing to travel
Dr. Gabriel at Egia Wellness. Dr. Visconti is you suspect Lyme. Some of the neurologists at Columbia are somewhat pandas literate.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 6:01 pm
I find it interesting that whenever I see someone posting looking for a child therapist... there arent really suggestions of people they have used. Do they not exist? do people not send their kids to therapists?

I only see pandas suggestions.

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 6:03 pm
Honestly so hard to find ones. I had used dr Regina gelanti (not sure spelling) it was years ago and at the time she was in the center for anxiety. Mow I hear she’s opened her own practice in maybe 5 towns, and price went up... but If you’re willing to pay and go there she was excellent .

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 6:05 pm
does the center for anxiety have a good reputation or is it some clinic with young people that just graduated

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 6:25 pm
Have you ever tried calling relief for recommendations. They’ve always been helpful. You tell them your situation and they recommend someone they seem fits what you need

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 7:33 pm
Look up Malki Spira in BP.
Her specialty is OCD. Check if she works with children.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 7:39 pm
Found her info:
Malki Spira
Phone: 917-966-4000
Lovely woman.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 8:25 pm
My eight year old is beginning OCD therapy at Dr Robyn Koslowitz practice in Lakewood (one of the therapists in the practice.) you can try calling the practice for recommendations in Brooklyn.

amother
White

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 8:49 pm
I was just looking at the website of Dr Regina Gelanti (I saw about her here on imamother) and it says she does therapy for ocd and for pandas (using ocd type therapy).
Might be helpful to speak to her.

STMommy

Post Fri, Apr 23 2021, 5:58 am
OP,
My DD is able to be as closed to 'cured' of PANDAS as you can get with just a few (not back to back) courses of amoxicillin - the rest was all vitamins and things OTC - feel free to PM me

amother
Plum

Post Fri, Apr 23 2021, 6:23 am
Op, I used to think treating PANDAS was not necessarily a good idea. I worried about the long term antibiotics. That was before I ever met anyone who had PANDAS.

Then came the day that my 11 year old son was crying on the floor- yes on the floor- from sudden extreme anxiety, and running to the bathroom every 5 minutes. He couldn't go 15 minutes between bathroom trips even when I begged him.

We started antibiotics and he was totally back to himself within a few days. He stayed on the meds for a few months.

A year later, he began stuttering so badly that each simple sentence took about 10 minutes, so we restarted the antibiotics. It took time, but it finally helped. My other kids have been passing strep around, and I always know when someone has it because his stuttering comes back. With antibiotics and no strep around, he doesn't stutter at all.

I still don't love the long term antibiotics, but when your kid is suffering terribly and there's something that can help, you choose to help them and hope for the best.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 12:49 pm
I have anxiety and so do many of my siblings. My son presents with what seems to be anxiety/OCD. Why would I assume PANDAS? Unless you're saying all cases of anxiety are PANDAS, in which case I should be on antibiotics for my own anxiety. Can anyone explain? How would you differentiate and why assume all cases of anxiety/OCD are PANDAS?

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 1:13 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
I have anxiety and so do many of my siblings. My son presents with what seems to be anxiety/OCD. Why would I assume PANDAS? Unless you're saying all cases of anxiety are PANDAS, in which case I should be on antibiotics for my own anxiety. Can anyone explain? How would you differentiate and why assume all cases of anxiety/OCD are PANDAS?

I'll bet if you work on gut health, you'll see improvement in your anxiety. Neurotransmitters that regulate mood are produced in the gut. 80percent of the immune system is in the gut too. Anxiety, pandas which is a malfunction of the immune system, it's all related...

amother
Black

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 2:43 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Pandas isn’t the only cause of anxiety and ocd, there are other biological/medical causes as well. It’s very possible that all of you have a predisposition to those weaknesses. It’s also possible that strep/pandas is a piece for all of you. When my child was diagnosed with pandas it felt like I’d solved a multi generational family mystery for why so many of us seemed so prone to anxiety, ocd and emotional regulation issues. Then when I started looking back even more, I was able to connect even more pieces of the puzzle, other symptoms that seemed really prevalent in our family, and a lot of them tied back to strep, infections, brain inflammation and gut health.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Apr 26 2021, 2:59 pm
Although pandas and poor gut health can indeed cause anxiety and ocd like behavior it is important to keep in mind that there are other things that can cause these behaviors in children as well.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children