Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Maternity leave in nj; now w2,last year self employed

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 1:40 pm
I’ve been working as a self employed in 2019, 2020 and almost all first quarter of 2021. Recently switched to w2.

Anyone knows if it’s possible to get maternity leave, or family leave, or short term disability after birth?

It looks like yes from nj govt website; anyone had experience with it and could share?

hello12341

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 1:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’ve been working as a self employed in 2019, 2020 and almost all first quarter of 2021. Recently switched to w2.

Anyone knows if it’s possible to get maternity leave, or family leave, or short term disability after birth?

It looks like yes from nj govt website; anyone had experience with it and could share?

I do have experience in this area. If you were not on a w2 for at least 20 weeks in your "base year" then you would not be eligible. If you are filing a claim now in April, your base year would be Jan-Dec 2020.
There are a couple of other ways to qualify, but if you only very recently switched to a w2, likely those wouldn't work either.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 2:29 pm
You need to be eligible for disability in order to qualify for family leave. If you just started working with a w2 then you would not be eligible for either.

Where do you see n the website that you would qualify?

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 2:30 pm
hello12341 wrote:
I do have experience in this area. If you were not on a w2 for at least 20 weeks in your "base year" then you would not be eligible. If you are filing a claim now in April, your base year would be Jan-Dec 2020.
There are a couple of other ways to qualify, but if you only very recently switched to a w2, likely those wouldn't work either.
if she just got pregnant now then by the time she gives birth she should be eligible for both. Otherwise I don’t see how it’s possible.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 12:10 am
I got impression it’s possible because there’s a different requirement for filing during COVID times

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 12:25 am
“ In 2021, you may qualify for benefits if you worked at least 20 base weeks (these are weeks during which you earned at least $220), or earned at least $11,000 in any one-year period over the last 18 months.”

2 more qs:
how long after birth can you start a claim? Meaning, can you start maternity leave 3-4 weeks after birth? (I could then have 20 weeks and alternate base period prior to date of claim).

And in case of the above minimum work requirement (prob due to COVID situation they changed work requirements to $11,000 earned over 18 months)—
I wonder if you go with the 11,000 earnings requirement, what number is disability payment based on? Still on Your recent salary or smth else?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 12:26 am
Double post

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 7:44 am
Maternity disability needs to start immediately after birth.
Family leave can be intermittent and be any time. You need to find out if you get family leave if you don’t get disability.
I don’t get state disability neck have private. I still get family leave - but it was a pain to do paperwork.
Base salary is your salary at your job.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 9:42 am
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
Maternity disability needs to start immediately after birth.
Family leave can be intermittent and be any time. You need to find out if you get family leave if you don’t get disability.
I don’t get state disability neck have private. I still get family leave - but it was a pain to do paperwork.
Base salary is your salary at your job.

I was told that I couldn’t get family leave if I didn’t qualify for disability. They based it off your eligibility when you gave birth.
No idea if that’s changed for 2021

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 9:55 pm
So maternity leave is the same as disability?
What’s the rate, and is there a max like with unemployment?

Is family leave now a state thing or federal?
How much do they pay? It’s so confusing…

amother
Heather

Post Tue, Jun 29 2021, 11:07 pm
When one goes on maternity leave they apply for temp disability . Which you are eligible for if you worked the requirement on w2.
U can apply for temp disability 4 weeks before your due date . Dr deems u disabled 6-8 weeks after birth.
After that U can be elig for family leave during first year of baby birth .
Family leave now is 12 consecutive weeks or 56 intermittent days .
Both temp disability and family leave are 85% of your average weekly earnings during ur base year .
Call Lrrc 732-942-9292 they can explain it all to you in more depths .
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics