Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
ISO sources for 2 random topics

Aylat

Post Mon, Apr 19 2021, 8:32 am
HELP WANTED

Yesterday I had 2 things mentioned in a shiur tickle my memory and I'm sure I learned them lately or heard them in a shiur, but I've not been successful in locating them. Can anyone help me locate the sources for the following? (I like knowing sources!)

1) When witnesses come to testify about the new moon, even after the first pair of witnesses have been interrogated and their testimony accepted, Sanhedrin question each successive pair of witnesses, in order that no one will feel they made the effort for no reason and won't bother to come in future.

2) There's a general rule that אין חותמין בשניים, the final phrase of a bracha has to be on one topic only. But we do say מקדש השבת וישראל והזמנים - at least 2 topics, maybe three. So we say that מקדש ישראל והזמנים is the same topic because we determine the date of the מועדות through קידוש החודש, but what's the reason that we can include שבת which has intrinsic קדושה non-dependent on us? I can't remember the source that discusses this or the answer/s given.

I will be so grateful to anyone who can help with these!

Aylat

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 3:43 am
Regarding (2) I did a bit more research and discovered that the bracha מקדש השבת וישראל והזמנים is discussed in a few places - ביצה יז, פסחים קיז - but bH I found the place where the question I had is discussed: ברכות מט א.

Still looking for source for (1)

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 4:40 am
Pretty sure #1 is a mishna in rosh hashanah. I can try to remember to ask dh later but I think that's it

salt

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 4:43 am
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
Pretty sure #1 is a mishna in rosh hashanah. I can try to remember to ask dh later but I think that's it

Yes it is.
Chap 2 mishna 7.

Aylat

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 6:12 am
salt wrote:
Yes it is.
Chap 2 mishna 7.

Thank you! Just looked it up - it's 2:6.
Really appreciate your help amother Silver and Salt!

farm

Post Tue, Apr 20 2021, 10:55 pm
Pretty sure #1 came up in maseches shabbos as well- with the discussion regarding leaving your techum shabbos to testify regarding seeing the new moon.

ibelongtosomebody

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 1:55 am
Confused about 2. What about the ending of על המחיה?
ברוך... על הארץ ועל המחיה ועל הכלכלה

Aylat

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 6:22 am
farm wrote:
Pretty sure #1 came up in maseches shabbos as well- with the discussion regarding leaving your techum shabbos to testify regarding seeing the new moon.

I was sure I remembered learning it in the daf! I thought Eiruvin, but maybe Shabbat? Any chance you can narrow it down to a daf? Maybe I'll look up מסורת השס or do another sefaria search later.

Aylat

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 6:23 am
ibelongtosomebody wrote:
Confused about 2. What about the ending of על המחיה?
ברוך... על הארץ ועל המחיה ועל הכלכלה

Well done! ברכת המזון is one of the questions raised by the Gemara there. I'll try and post the discussion after.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics