Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Taking the family to Israel for the summer - doable?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

DrMom

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 8:25 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is there nowhere affordable to stay?

Where you will be happy and entertained the entire summer without a car? Not likely.
Major cities are pretty expensive here.

You can stay in some development town in the Negev (not recommended for summer) but you won't be able to walk anywhere.

Your budget is not realistic.

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 8:25 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Wow. How many people? And why did you do Airbnb?

5 people.

Airbnb because 1) cheaper than hotels 2) wanted own kitchen so didn't have to restaurant every meal 3) wanted to be able to be awake after my kids. In a hotel you are all in one room. At the airbnb there was a separate space. 4) dh and I didn't want to sleep in the same room as the kids.

Elfrida

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 8:29 am
Renting a four room (three bedroom) apartment for a month will take up a good part of the budget, even in a cheaper area. If she wants english speaking neighbours it's going to be more expensive. Then there is food and day to day expenses, which will be higher than in America.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 8:33 am
Right now Israel is not allowing individual citizens into the country. Beginning in May, groups of vaccinated individuals will be allowed in, and they will still have to be tested both for antibodies and for covid itself.

Israel - rightly - does not trust "proofs" of coronavirus recovery issued in other countries, so the fact that you say you recovered from it will not help you. The government is currently working on finding a way to ensure that it can trust other countries' covid *vaccination* records and make mutual recognition agreements. I do not think we are anywhere near such a step for recovery from coronavirus, and we may never recognize other countries' recovery certificates.

In one sentence, I would make other plans this summer. I think there is less than a 10% chance that unvaccinated non-citizen tourists not coming as part of an organized tour group will be allowed into the country.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 9:18 am
It is very doable. Covid changing govt whims aside.

But, it does not solve they will need constant stimulation or get bored.

And it will probably cost more than 6k.

It would be more affordable and easier day to day for you during the summer to put them in camp at home.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 9:24 am
I know it’s not the ideal year to travel to Israel.

But this year I can have that teen relative join me. She’s very close to my children and would be a huge help. She’s also familiar with Israel. I might not get this opportunity again.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 9:25 am
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
It is very doable. Covid changing govt whims aside.

But, it does not solve they will need constant stimulation or get bored.

And it will probably cost more than 6k.

It would be more affordable and easier day to day for you during the summer to put them in camp at home.

So what part is very doable?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 9:28 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So what part is very doable?

The part that doesn't have a 6K budget.

And the part that ignores the ever changing covid-19 rules.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 9:34 am
I don’t think you should go just because the teen is agreeing to go.
You’ll have to find things the teen enjoys doing also. Unless you have a family to stay by or a very cheap rental, or half price tickets you’re in for a lot of spending and entertaining kids on your own. Even in Israel kids will complain that they’re bored if they have no one to play with or no where to go .
Maybe consider going to a bungalow colony. Kids are busy all day there and your dh can come for all weekends or more.
I think a big trip to Israel should be a family trip with your dh. Go some other time when there are no covid regulations. Stay for a shorter time so it can include your husband.
Unless you have close family you can count on there.
My opinion.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 9:34 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is there nowhere affordable to stay?
Affordable is all relative, no?
I mean, you have flights, which will already be at least half of your 6k budget. And then to rent a place, that could run you another thousand or two as well. And then anything else you would need during your stay. I think 6k is not going to cut it Sad

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 9:38 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I know it’s not the ideal year to travel to Israel.

But this year I can have that teen relative join me. She’s very close to my children and would be a huge help. She’s also familiar with Israel. I might not get this opportunity again.
I think you will have to find out if non vaccinated kids will be allowed in at all.
And if a foreign vaccine, if you are vaccinated, will be accepted as well.
These are things you need to find out even more than if your budget is realistic or not.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 9:38 am
If you get to go which don't count on until you are there, do have backup plans in case you can't, you would know the price of a rental and tickets before committing so budget won't be a surprise, it is a nice thing to experience because it is more than a short vacation. Staying a whole summer you get a deeper connection and familiarity with everything there.

I have done it pre-covid, I know others who have done it. But easier it is not. Just you will gain a nice experience. Kids woke up same as they would at home. Bored and need a schedule.

They got an appreciation for the differences here and there, learned about hot weather.

For me it was very nice to spend so much time there. But it was still like having my kids home.

If you find a rental in a city, in a frum area, but away from a tourist area you should have walking as a choice. If you are near a park or playground it will be easier for you.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 9:42 am
We booked tickets for a once in a lifetime family trip last summer. We couldn’t go obviously. We still didn’t book another trip even though our tickets are paid for since we still don’t know for sure if we will be allowed in. It would be devastating to disappoint the kids again. As of now I registered them in day camps. Hopefully we’ll travel soon but how can can anyone know for sure that traveling to Israel this summer will work out?

flowerpower

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 9:43 am
I’d suggest you rent out a villa in Orlando with a pool instead. Way more doable

small bean

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 9:53 am
Ive done Israel for 4 weeks with at least 4 kids for about 6k including flights.

I found cheap tickets with stop overs. Most of what we did for entertainment was free or relatively cheap. We did not rent a car, took mostly busses. Shopped for food and cooked mostly. And pizza is very cheap compared to the US.

I rented apartments in random places, not hot spots. Stayed a bit in hotels with credit card points. I opened credit cards specifically for the trip and cancelled after.

We had a great time, very relaxed and not bored at all.

Rappel

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 9:58 am
You could have a good visit if you stay somewhere in the country and rent a car. Out here, one month at a villa for a family costs 3000 shekels, plus or minus. I can only imagine it's higher in Yerushalayim.

Food is part of your monthly budget, so no need to count that.

Gas, inner city buses, cost of things...I think it's doable, but it needs planning.

Tickets will be the biggest limiting factor in your budget. Are they still Covid cheap?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 3:06 pm
small bean wrote:
Ive done Israel for 4 weeks with at least 4 kids for about 6k including flights.

I found cheap tickets with stop overs. Most of what we did for entertainment was free or relatively cheap. We did not rent a car, took mostly busses. Shopped for food and cooked mostly. And pizza is very cheap compared to the US.

I rented apartments in random places, not hot spots. Stayed a bit in hotels with credit card points. I opened credit cards specifically for the trip and cancelled after.

We had a great time, very relaxed and not bored at all.

In which areas did you rent apartments? And how did you find those apartments?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 3:07 pm
Rappel wrote:
You could have a good visit if you stay somewhere in the country and rent a car. Out here, one month at a villa for a family costs 3000 shekels, plus or minus. I can only imagine it's higher in Yerushalayim.

Which areas?

Elfrida

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 3:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Which areas?

Rappel lives on a yishuv called Itamar, in the Shomron. Rental prices there are a lot cheaper than in the cities. It is a lovely part of the country, but you might have trouble entertaining small children without their friends or toys. I don't think there are a great many English speakers there. You also specified that you didn't want a remote yishuv.

Quote:
Close enough meaning not a remote moshav

If you stay in that kind of area there will be limited local entertainment, and you should probably factor car hire fees into your budget.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 3:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We all had Covid recently. I don’t know about my baby though. Would they make an issue with a baby?

Yes they absolutely will make an issue with a baby. Obviously no one knows what will be in the summertime but with the may 23 group allowance it seems likely that the first group let in after that will be vaccinated tourists so I think you have very little chance of being let in unfortunately.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions