Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
Ready for beta readers!!! (See OP)
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 3:40 pm
WOW that was fast!!! I'm all set. Thank you to everybody who volunteered!!!! Smile

-----
If you're interested, have time in the near future, and will give honest feedback, please send me a PM. I'm sending to a small handful of people, so please, PLEASE don't take it personally if I'm booked up by the time I get your message. IY"H the book will be published and available to all soon enough!

If you have experience with beta reading, please let me know when you send your message.

(I will only send the manuscript to people willing to share their real name with me, I hope you understand.)

Manuscript is roughly 80,000 words.

Thank you!!!! :-)

-------
Hi again!!!! :-)

My first draft is almost done, and I'm working hard to have it beta reader-ready by Shavuos! I'd like to take a few people up on their offer to give feedback. In addition to freeform feedback, there are a few specific questions I hope you'll answer. My comfort level is to only send it via email to people who are willing to share their identity with me. (I don't want to send to anonymous readers). If you're interested, please PM me. Thank you!!! Hi Smile Very Happy

NEW QUESTION: What if I took out (or clearly explained) any FRUM content and kept the Jewish setting and symbolism? Would that be acceptable in the secular market? (I want to avoid a possible chilul Hashem). Word gets around, I'm sure. So if the book is "kosher" (or kosher ENOUGH), frum people will still read it. Maybe not all, but I'm willing to chance it. I'm still on the fence about this whole thing. I might rewrite the frum aspects anyway to make them more generally relatable. At this point that mainly just means taking out some Hebrew/Yiddish words and phrases. Basically, my question is this: Is it better to dilute the Jewish overtones, or to eliminate them completely if I try the secular route?

I'm finishing up my 9th book and need to make a decision about publishing strategies. It's a novel, and there's nothing raunchy in it or anything, but it's unlikely to fly in the frum publishing world, which is sad, because I reaalllly wanted it to - at least at first. The more I spread my wings in the writing arena, the harder I'm finding it to keep within the "acceptable" guidelines.

Anyway, my question is this:

I could try to water down some of this book and pitch it to frum publishers, OR, I could adjust it slightly and pitch it to secular publishers. Not that I'm biased or anything, lol, but I really believe this book stands a chance of being picked up in the mainstream market. I also think it could remain a stronger book if I go that route.

BUUUUT... the frum world needs quality books (which I think this could be - again, my purely objective opinion! ;-)) But... I'll probably have to sacrifice some of the quality if I try for the frum market. That sounds bad, but hopefully you get what I mean?

Anyone care to weigh in?

Last edited by Kiwi13 on Thu, May 13 2021, 12:36 pm; edited 4 times in total

SuperWify

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 3:42 pm
Sane struggle sister. Although I haven’t ever published my first yet because I’m worried I can’t write anything and the story would be butchered.

9 books though.. that’s impressive! Can I ask what they were? Or for your pen name?

sequoia

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 3:43 pm
Can you pitch books directly to publishers?

Don’t you need an agent?

Goody2shoes

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 3:51 pm
I say go for the frum market. youre so right in saying we need more quality books and I defiantly will benefit cuz Im bored of reading shampoo bottles and tissue boxes out of lack of anything better

Mommyg8

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 3:54 pm
Please can you leave it the way it is? We can read it even if its picked up by a non Jewish publisher! And please let me know when its published?

(Also what are your other 9 books? What name?)

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 3:55 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Sane struggle sister. Although I haven’t ever published my first yet because I’m worried I can’t write anything and the story would be butchered.

9 books though.. that’s impressive! Can I ask what they were? Or for your pen name?

It's a struggle alright! Sometimes I think about starting my own publishing business. Or, really, I would expand my current business to including publishing. Who knows. Maybe one day. I'm definitely not up for the politics of it right now.

My first 2 books were under my maiden name, Naomi Feigenbaum. Both about eating disorder recovery.

My next 5 were children's books with Judaica Press published under my married name, Naomi Shulman

My 8th was "With All I Am" which I posted about on here a while back.

This is my first full length novel. I'm very excited about it. I'm having a lot of fun with it. :-)

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 3:55 pm
wannabamom wrote:
I say go for the frum market. youre so right in saying we need more quality books and I defiantly will benefit cuz Im bored of reading shampoo bottles and tissue boxes out of lack of anything better

That's the whole issue, though! I don't want my book to turn into a shampoo bottle. :-(

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 3:56 pm
sequoia wrote:
Can you pitch books directly to publishers?

Don’t you need an agent?

Yes, I'll need an agent. I've already started drafting queries and proposals.

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 3:57 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
Please can you leave it the way it is? We can read it even if its picked up by a non Jewish publisher! And please let me know when its published?

(Also what are your other 9 books? What name?)

Thanks for the vote of confidence! :-)

Goody2shoes

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 3:58 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
That's the whole issue, though! I don't want my book to turn into a shampoo bottle. :-(

misunderstanding- I meant to say that I'm bored of reading shampoo bottles so a new good book would be appreciated

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 3:59 pm
We are always in the market for a good frum book!
hatzlocha

sequoia

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 4:02 pm
Would you all seriously not read a fellow ima’s book depending on the publisher?!

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 4:02 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
Such a shame - we are always in the market for a good frum book!
hatzlocha

That was my original plan. I don't know who would accept this book though (while keeping it intact). Ideas are welcome. If you know of an acquisitions editor at a frum publisher who would go to bat for a slightly out-of-the-(frum)-box novel, by all means, I'm listening!

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 4:04 pm
how out of the box?

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 4:04 pm
sequoia wrote:
Would you all seriously not read a fellow ima’s book depending on the publisher?!

I don't think that's the point. There are lots of people who look to the publisher as the hechsher, to vet the appropriateness of books. I get it, I really do.

Goody2shoes

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 4:07 pm
thank you for understanding this point. I read everything before but DH would rather I only read the frum ones now

sequoia

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 4:07 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
I don't think that's the point. There are lots of people who look to the publisher as the hechsher, to vet the appropriateness of books. I get it, I really do.

Married adults?

Okay, different world, I guess.

Anyway, I look forward to reading your book.

SuperWify

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 4:08 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
It's a struggle alright! Sometimes I think about starting my own publishing business. Or, really, I would expand my current business to including publishing. Who knows. Maybe one day. I'm definitely not up for the politics of it right now.

My first 2 books were under my maiden name, Naomi Feigenbaum. Both about eating disorder recovery.

My next 5 were children's books with Judaica Press published under my married name, Naomi Shulman

My 8th was "With All I Am" which I posted about on here a while back.

This is my first full length novel. I'm very excited about it. I'm having a lot of fun with it. :-)

Wow can’t take wait look them up!

If you start your publishing company please count me in!!

SuperWify

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 4:13 pm
Your kids books look adorable, I love the illustrations as well! I’m considering getting the mommy and me for my son.

I can’t find your other books though.

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 4:15 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
how out of the box?

-Minor language advisory (rump, hell, "oh my God," etc. nothing worse than that).
-Main character has a boyfriend
-Some mention of drugs (nothing too detailed)
-The plot on the whole is "out there" by frum standards, but in my opinion it shouldn't be a sticking point, even with the acceptable guidelines issue.

Premise: Grown woman wakes up one morning as a high school student, has to unravel the mystery which involves some dark secrets. It toes the line between YA and adult fiction and blends a few genres, mystery/thriller/drama with a heavy dose of humor. MC is a firecracker. (Funny how you grow attached to your characters when you write a book!)

I worked very carefully to develop full, believable characters. MC, ancillary, villains... doesn't matter. They all have their own side and believable motives. Eventually I want to write a companion book for this one, telling it from a different perspective since there's a whole lot more beneath the surface. I could probably the entire story from at least two other character's perspectives and create an entirely new book out of each. I've been mapping that out as well, making sure any aligning points match up, in case this book is hopefully successful.
Page 1 of 8   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club