Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
How does your first grade boy keep busy after 7 pm?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 8:16 pm
He gets tired at 8.
Younger siblings are asleep at 7. Dinner homework and bath/shower is done between 5- 6:30. He also is allowed to play one game on my phone at around 6:30.
From 7 until bedtime, which is 8, he complains of being bored. He wants to play games with me etc etc.
I just want to c h I l l and read and veg out and eat candy in my room.
At 8 is when I exercise, do laundry, finish up housework etc.

What is expected of me here?

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 8:17 pm
My 7 year old reads or does a quiet activity from 7-730

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 8:18 pm
Plays lego in his room or reads books

wiki

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 8:19 pm
The issue is that you're doing everything else too well! Very Happy

I'm lucky if we're done with supper by seven, finishing up homework, and trying to get kids into baths before bed at 8...and it's a scramble. Boredom is definitely not an issue.

Do you have someone around who could read to him? Maybe he would be interested in coloring books? Or lego?

benny

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 8:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He gets tired at 8.
Younger siblings are asleep at 7. Dinner homework and bath/shower is done between 5- 6:30. He also is allowed to play one game on my phone at around 6:30.
From 7 until bedtime, which is 8, he complains of being bored. He wants to play games with me etc etc.

I would spend time with him after littles are in bed. If you can... maybe he can help you with laundry and shmooze while you do housework? And you can chill once he’s in bed?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 8:23 pm
I read to him at 8, when he's ready for bed.

He has plenty of books and Lego and other cool things in his room but he seems to want adult company but Dh and I are tired after a long day...

I'm so awful Crying

Maybe I should try to give him ten-fifteen minutes and play a game.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 8:30 pm
Maybe play with him but also...
Have you tried telling him I had a busy day I want to relax , he may understand and you can tell him to bring a book to ur room and sit in bed with you. Or maybe ask him which toy he wants to play at that time that you can buy him a special toy he can play next to you.
Also what might work but not with ur energy is to exercise at 7 with him next to you , or laundry etc while he sits next to you and then you relax after? Hard I definitely know it!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 8:32 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
Maybe play with him but also...
Have you tried telling him I had a busy day I want to relax , he may understand and you can tell him to bring a book to ur room and sit in bed with you. Or maybe ask him which toy he wants to play at that time that you can buy him a special toy he can play next to you.
Also what might work but not with ur energy is to exercise at 7 with him next to you , or laundry etc while he sits next to you and then you relax after? Hard I definitely know it!

Bringing a book to my bed is such an awesome idea, thanks. Exercise wih me won't work because my baby sleeps next door and I have to exercise quietly. Let's just say he hasn't mastered the art of being quiet just yet.

Laundry while he's in the room is also a good idea. Thanks!

forever21

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 8:40 pm
Maybe do laundry, clean up, etc during that time. He may not necessarily want you to sit down and play with him, rather he just wants to hang out alongside you. If you’re busy, then he’ll learn to entertain himself.
You can also get a magnetic board for the fridge for him to draw or write on while you clean up in the kitchen. You can even do your exercise and have him join you for a few min until he gets bored. Then at 8 after you put him to bed you’ll get your much deserved downtime Smile

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 8:49 pm
My first grader gets ready for bed at that stage.
We have supper etc at 6/630 (never on time) and then homework, shower, teeth etc and by 730 it is into bed. They listen to a story CD and read books in bed so fall asleep anywhere from 8-830 pm.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 9:19 pm
As a kid I remember sitting on my mom's bed as she folded laundry just telling her about my day or reading a book or even pairing socks.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 9:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He gets tired at 8.

My 7 year old goes to bed at 7. My 10 year old reads or plays quietly in his room until his bedtime (9)

mha3484

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 9:48 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
As a kid I remember sitting on my mom's bed as she folded laundry just telling her about my day or reading a book or even pairing socks.

My 10 year old son does this and it’s really nice. In a few more years he won’t be home much so
I’m enjoying the quality time while it lasts.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 10:37 pm
That's usually when my son does his homework (second grade so maybe more?)
Can he play with siblings before they go to bed and do homework and a quiet activity even near you chilling before his bedtime?
Showering can happen then too.
Meaning shift playtime to being with younger siblings and big boy time to their bedtime...

Invest in a few single player games like Rush Hour...

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 11:33 pm
I tend to group bedtimes. When my oldest was that age, she went to bed at 7 together with the younger ones.

Now my 7 year old is up til 8, 8:30 but so are his older siblings. So it's busy.

What about story tapes? Shmuel kunda, jewishbedtimestories.com, parsha cds (my kids like the ones by rabbi levi goldstein).

Cleaning up, doing laundry with him.

Can also do showers and homework with him after 7

Lego, drawing, saying tehillim for a prize, more lego
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children