Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Baby monitor that can be used on Shabbos?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 8:15 pm
Has anyone found one that can be used on Shabbos? Most monitors now have lights that light up when there’s sound making them forbidden to be used on Shabbos. But I really need to be able to hear if my baby wakes up. Any links would be appreciated!

singleagain

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 8:30 pm
Voice to text

I know that my dad once said that something about how if the light is not the main issue/reason for the machine... it might not be a problem. Check with a rabbi

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 8:31 pm
singleagain wrote:
Voice to text

I know that my dad once said that something about how if the light is not the main issue/reason for the machine... it might not be a problem. Check with a rabbi

I was told I can’t use it if it lights up with sound.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 8:32 pm
Definitely ask a rabbi. I think some people hold you can just tape over the lights.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 8:39 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
Definitely ask a rabbi. I think some people hold you can just tape over the lights.

See previous post. I asked and was told no.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 8:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
See previous post. I asked and was told no.

Oops, I’m sorry. We must have cross posted. I’ll keep my eye out to see if I can find one.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 8:50 pm
Another thought, you can often find audio monitors super cheap second hand. Could you get one and try breaking / disconnecting the LEDs?

singleagain

Post Wed, Apr 21 2021, 9:16 pm
Okay I just tried searching a bit and almost everything has some sort of light that will turn on and/or change colors get louder when the baby cries

Even the video ones look like they have a light on it and not to mention that video might also be a problem but I was thinking that if the video was on constantly like a security camera that's not an issue that I remember once hearing but but then they also all of these have these LED battery savers that only come on that the screen only comes on when the baby starts crying again

Can you ask the rabbi what he might suggest because in a case like this I mean you're not buying it for the light so I would maybe go back and clarify with the rabbi you know tell him that you can't find anything ask him if he knows of a brand

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 3:50 am
Don't know about the lights- I'm currently not in this parsha. But I know when my kids were babies, we were told that if we leave the monitor on in their room on Shabbos, then we can't speak in their room.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics