Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Need info on Scotts hill area and schools in Baltimore

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 12:52 pm
Are there any chasidish families in scotts hill?
And where do most chasidish kids go to school, TI or TA. Bais yaakov or Bnos yisroel.

TIA

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 12:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Are there any chasidish families in scotts hill?
And where do most chasidish kids go to school, TI or TA. Bais yaakov or Bnos yisroel.

TIA

Scotts Hill is where many of the TA rabbeim live. No chassidim live there. It is a beautiful area though and I wish I was able to afford one of the homes there. It is a much safer area than where the rest of us live! I have no idea why more people dont move out there and why there are no shuls there. Other than the new chassidish kollel, which has its own school (and will only accept the kollel families in the school because it is their school, built for them), there are just a small number of chassidish families. We are one of them. Some send to TA and TI, some to BY and Bnos. They are all really good schools and you cant go wrong.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 1:04 pm
Ok thanks! Yes Scotts hill seems so much safer and nicer, really want to live there.. Are there more chasidish kids in TI or TA? And is it difficult to get into bnos?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 1:05 pm
Where else would be safer area to live in?

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 1:12 pm
Scotts Hill is a lovely area but it's just a small few blocks that the TA Rebbeim and a few other families live.
For safe, try to stick with Baltimore County. Pickwick, Meadowood, Ranchleigh, Lightfoot, Indian Village. These areas tend to have less crime than Upper Park Heights. However, the chassidish community is really in Upper Park Heights. There is a Chassidish shul in Ranchleigh, Rabbi Eichenstein which is super popular but most of the kehilla is NOT chassidish.

Have you spoken to other chassidim in Baltimore? Aside from the kollel, it's a very small community. There are a few scattered boys at TI, TA, and Toras Simcha and girls at Bnos and Bais Yaakov. But you realize you will be a significant minority, right? It's a great city and very nonjudgemental but you have to realize what it is...

Bnos is only hard to get into because they limit the number of classes per grade. If they are full, you can't get in. If they aren't full, there is no problem. It's not NY/Lakewood style where you have to be "good enough" or have yichus/pull/money etc.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 1:30 pm
My husband is chasidish but I’m not from chasidish background and my kids are not typical chasidish kids if you know what I mean. But I don’t want them to be the only ones with a chasidish dad.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 1:36 pm
you should be fine then at any of the schools. You would probably want to look at them to get an overall feel for them since they definitely have some differences. Maybe try to live in Ranchleigh so you can be near Eichensteins. People LOVE him.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 1:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My husband is chasidish but I’m not from chasidish background and my kids are not typical chasidish kids if you know what I mean. But I don’t want them to be the only ones with a chasidish dad.

Why not? No one here will bat an eyelash if your kids are the only ones in their class with a chassidish father. We accept everyone. Smile

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 1:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I think you've posted about coming to Baltimore before, this sounds familiar. We live in the Fallstaff area because we could only afford the city but my husband needed to be within walking distance of a mikvah so he can go on shabbos. Your kids will be fine at any of the schools here, honest.

Seconding what the other amother said about Bnos. What makes it amazing is that they are dedicated to keeping the school small, so if it is full, even a huge donation won't open a seat for one more girl. They open seats on a raffle basis, not based on who is "good for the school" or whatever else I read about on here about other cities. BY is also a great option. Baltimore is really dedicated to excellent chinuch for the girls. The boys school are good too. You will be ok anywhere.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 1:39 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
Why not? No one here will bat an eyelash if your kids are the only ones in their class with a chassidish father. We accept everyone. Smile

Seconding this. Literally no one will care. I promise.

By the way, I can think of four Bnos families with fathers who wear streimals, my husband included. One of them is the patron of the chassidish kollel. One is Boston, two are Breslov. I am sure I could think of more if I knew more people.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating