Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
In town vs Out of town the official debate
Previous  1  2

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 4:13 pm
keym wrote:
Its funny that you say that. My parents in Midwest/West USA call anything on the East Coast OOT. So according to them, we in Lakewood are OOT, Brooklyn is OOT, Baltimore all OOT.
Wait, I was really asking. I have no idea what it means.
I mean, I just thought wherever a person lives is in town for them and where they dont is called out of town, as in "oh, Im going out of town for shabbat" would mean, Im leaving my town for shabbat.
So then what does it really mean?

keym

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 4:16 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Wait, I was really asking. I have no idea what it means.
I mean, I just thought wherever a person lives is in town for them and where they dont is called out of town, as in "oh, Im going out of town for shabbat" would mean, Im leaving my town for shabbat.
So then what does it really mean?

It seems that on this site In-town is a colloquialism for the Tri-state area and OOT is everywhere else USA.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 4:17 pm
keym wrote:
It seems that on this site In-town is a colloquialism for the Tri-state area and OOT is everywhere else USA.
Its so funny because I grew up in the tri state area, but still never heard this. I grew up in a MO community so maybe thats the difference. Who knows. Never heard it being used the way it is here on this site.

b.chadash

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 4:35 pm
keym wrote:

Yes, but even in the tri-state area, you have some smaller communities that would be "OOT." For example, the South Fallsburg community.
In my experience, In towners are much more judgemental. The way people are sized up in Brooklyn would be totally foreign in many OOT communities.

OOTforlife

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 4:48 pm
small bean wrote:
Pressure doesn't end when you become an adult.

OOT adults still have pressure. Any group you belong to has some sort of pressure.

Amount of pressure matters and the amount of leeway available matters too. For example, if it was my deepest desire to dress in a clown suit with full clown wig and makeup every day, I admit that even in my chill OOT community, I would feel pressure not to do that. It would be socially awkward for my kids. They would probably get teased. So some outer boundaries for pressure exist even here.

But from what I read on imamother, my boundaries are a lot wider than in many other communities. Keeping my clown suit on a hook at home is much easier when I can wear a million other things instead of just 100 other things.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics