Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
My 5yo’s story about injury doesn’t add up

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 8:29 pm
At bedtime DH and I noticed a large bruise on our 5yo’s upper leg (outer side of thigh). We asked him what happened and he told us he got shocked by the electrical outlet in his room. We asked for details and he explained he was sleeping on the floor (he does this often) near the outlet where the nightlight is usually plugged in. He said nothing was in the outlet that night and we woke up by getting a shock.

So, a couple things... if he really did get a shock in the middle of the night, why did he not say anything about it until asked? This is not a kid to let something like this slide under the radar. Also, is that even possible??? I asked if anything was wet nearby and he said no.

Most importantly, can a shock cause a bruise??

abaker

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 8:33 pm
My 5 year old gets random bruises and he doesnt know where they came from. He will sometimes be like "I dont know" or if I'm really bugging him about it he will be like "I fell in the gym" or "I hit the wall" to satisfy my bothering questions. So basically I have come to realize 5 year olds fall of their bike or rollerblades or the couch and dont even register that they may have gotten a bruise. I wouldn't connect the bruise to an electrical shock. I think maybe the kid wanted to provide an answer to your questioning the bruise so he came up with an imaginative answer. But def make sure all outlets are always covered!

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 8:34 pm
A shock would cause a burn. He could have soot marks but not a bruise. It sounds like he doesn’t know how the bruise came but decided to give you a good answer that could work, but is completely false. Tell him it’s ok if he doesn’t know. He doesn’t have to give an answer even if he doesn’t know.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 8:35 pm
Wow, that is oddly specific in detail.

Shocks usually cause burns, not bruises. I once got a very large shock from an industrial outlet, enough to stun me for a good half hour, and I didn't have a single mark on me.

In a casual, conversational kind of way, see if you can get him to tell you if anyone is picking on him. It could be that he just fell from the playground equipment.

Maybe he thinks you'll get mad at him that he was doing unsafe tricks on the equipment.
Maybe he is seeing if he can get away with telling tall tales.
Maybe someone in class is kicking him.

Leave the conversation open, and see if any more details pop up. Try not to ask leading questions, or make suggestions. Just let him add more to the story. You can say things like "And then what happened?" and "What do you think about that?" Open ended questions can bring out all kinds of things.

In the meantime, put some Arnica gel on the bruise. It will heal up really fast.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 8:37 pm
Thanks. That’s what I thought. He’s an active boy always running and jumping and slamming into things lol. Our outlets are the child safe kind that need simultaneous insertion of two prongs to work, so it makes even less sense that his story could be true. Thanks for easing my worry!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics