Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Greys Anatomy & Station 19
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 6:18 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
I stopped watching so many major network shows because of the agenda shoving. But this is how they get everyone to give legitimacy to all the movements, it's subtle brainwashing. Hopefully enough of us stop watching and it hurts them and they stop using tv to push agendas and brainwash.

This. If you don't like their agenda, don't watch.

I mean, there are families out there who won't buy a frum magazine with pictures of women, and they vote with their pocket and make an impact. Do the same here if it's so important to you.

fmt4

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 6:31 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
Christina Yang was JEWISH

Lol according to Wikipedia, she is Korean American and has a Jewish stepfather.

amother
Green

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 6:37 pm
fmt4 wrote:
Lol according to Wikipedia, she is Korean American and has a Jewish stepfather.

She celebrates Jewish holidays, she sits shiva, she identifies as a conservative or reform Jew. She says, repeatedly, that she is Jewish. Not good enough for you, maybe not, but that's what she is.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 7:03 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have been watching Grey's Anatomy for as long as I can remember, and Station 19 since the beginning. Maybe I never noticed it or maybe it is a new thing based on whats going on in the world, but I am starting to get turned off at the way they are constantly pushing the leftist, Covid, & BLM agenda in your face. Yes I know Hollywood is now the mouth piece for the woke left and democratic party, but the whole reason why we watch TV is to distract us from real life, and from what I can recall Grey's Anatomy never used to align its episodes with current events. There are other shows that when they resumed after lockdown had one or two episodes about covid and then went back to normal, that imho is the way to go, but to constantly shove it in your face, it just really irks me. And yes I have a choice to not watch it, so I don't need you to tell me that. I just have watched this show for years so it makes me sad.

I hope I don't sound too aggressive, that was not my intention, I am just annoyed is all.

Just curious if its not only me....

Yep. Greys is starting to get on my nerves too. It's like every episode is here to preach to the audience. Also there is not ONE family throughout that show that isn't divorced, children out of wedlock, gay, widowed etc etc

It's like yes it's nice to be inclusive but it seems that including a traditional family doesn't count as inclusive anymore.

amother
Green

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 7:40 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
Yep. Greys is starting to get on my nerves too. It's like every episode is here to preach to the audience. Also there is not ONE family throughout that show that isn't divorced, children out of wedlock, gay, widowed etc etc

It's like yes it's nice to be inclusive but it seems that including a traditional family doesn't count as inclusive anymore.

This is television. Other than The Waltons, where are you finding wholesome fun?

fmt4

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 8:43 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
She celebrates Jewish holidays, she sits shiva, she identifies as a conservative or reform Jew. She says, repeatedly, that she is Jewish. Not good enough for you, maybe not, but that's what she is.

Lol, this argument is so silly. The point is not whether she is Jewish enough for me. The point is that for the kind of people who care about interracial marriage, it matters not a whit to them if she sits shiva or says she’s Jewish. Her skin color and ethnic background is what matters.

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Apr 23 2021, 9:56 am
Last night's episode of station 19 is entirely dedicated to racism and george floyd. It's an important topic but this is just too much IMO

amother
Green

Post Fri, Apr 23 2021, 10:06 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
Last night's episode of station 19 is entirely dedicated to racism and george floyd. It's an important topic but this is just too much IMO

Who do you think produces this show, a woman named Shonda Friedman?

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Apr 23 2021, 10:17 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:
Who do you think produces this show, a woman named Shonda Friedman?

What are you trying to say?

amother
Green

Post Fri, Apr 23 2021, 10:19 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
What are you trying to say?

Who produces this show?

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Apr 23 2021, 10:23 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:

I found it interesting. I live in my Jewish bubble and I like to get a different perspective every once in a while.

vintagebknyc

Post Fri, Apr 23 2021, 10:30 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:

How much racism it enough racism that it should be discussed?

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Apr 23 2021, 10:31 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:

You know what - I thought that show was one that could maybe open up a few minds and hearts in terms of learning how it feels to be a person of color in America - but I guess not.

And for many people who are NOT black, it might also have struck a chord of recognition in terms of understanding what micro aggression is and what white privilege is in terms of how the white men and women try to deal with what they saw and what it means - hint it is not really about being rich and powerful but about not worrying if you will wind up dead.

And then there will be the usual threads in which things are said about POC and the usual denials that posters are racist or have any bigotry but that these feelings are rational and are justified.

As one of the characters said - George Floyd wasn't about a split second decision in which a cop feared for his life - this was a nine minute deliberate murder in broad daylight in which the policeman murdered a man. And yet there are numerous posts in which Chauvin is defended and attempts made to justify his actions.

Does this look like a man who is in fear? I see a smug person relishing the power he has over another human being. And one who was rightfully convicted of murder. Look at him with his hands in his pockets - does this show a person who feels threatened?

Police are not the judge, jury and executioner in America - especially for someone who was allegedly passing a $20 counterfeit bill. Do you think any of us or our children or spouses would have police if we allegedly passed a counterfeit bill?

HonesttoGod

Post Fri, Apr 23 2021, 10:34 am
I saw something interesting that said for us right now this season of Greys and station 19 is annoying at times, a little boring, repetitive of what we know is happening outside our window. In 5-10 years when the next gen or group of people start binge watching it (because it’s on Netflix and we all do that!), it will be interesting and informative.

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Apr 23 2021, 10:48 am
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
You know what - I thought that show was one that could maybe open up a few minds and hearts in terms of learning how it feels to be a person of color in America - but I guess not.

Its not a universal feeling.

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Apr 23 2021, 10:49 am
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
Its not a universal feeling.

What isn't universal - the ability to view things from other's perspectives?

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Apr 23 2021, 10:52 am
vintagebknyc wrote:
How much racism it enough racism that it should be discussed?

When it overtakes every form of media, entertainment and educational system it is no longer a discussion. Its called ramming an agenda down people's throat.

singleagain

Post Fri, Apr 23 2021, 10:54 am
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
When it overtakes every form of media, entertainment and educational system it is no longer a discussion. Its called ramming an agenda down people's throat.

Or it's called finally bringing light to a problem that has been a problem since these United States were founded.

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Apr 23 2021, 10:56 am
just to clarify, I think its superbly well-done to bring attention to this critical issue, but its just too much for one episode. it should be part of the story-line, not the story-line.

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Apr 23 2021, 10:56 am
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:

That is your perception and it is completely wrong.

Look at a television guide and the vast majority of programs are not "ramming an agenda" down anyone's throat - let alone dealing specifically with BLM.

There are a multitude of books and magazines and websites that don't address what you call as an agenda.

But again, the fact that there is a thread complaining that a show that deals with many "real life" issues is somehow making some imamothers "uncomfortable" or bored really is what my initial post was reflecting on.

As is generally the case, these threads never disappoint me in terms of the lack of compassion and insight exhibited.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics