Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Size Inclusivity, s/o of size poll

southernbubby

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 9:48 am
Because I looked up info on the plus size market, my search feed now has lots of articles popping up. I have since learned the following;
1) Fashion and beauty are based on fantasy rather than reality.
2) The most commonly sold size in America is 14 to 16.
3) The fashion industry uses the antiquated method of creating a prototype and then scaling it up or down which becomes inaccurate the farther out from the prototype.
4) Billions of dollars are squandered yearly in free returns of online purchases due to vanity sizing that doesn't fit the customer.
5) Most companies that offer larger sizes have a small and inferior selection.
6) Plus size customers are viewed as poor, possibly Black, maybe older, and less likely to view their size as something to spend lots of money on.
7) Manufacturing larger sizes requires more fabric, more fabric waste, and different equipment than straight sizes do.
8) Exclusivity is a big factor in fashion.
9) True inclusivity means the same product in the same department at the same price, in every size which means that the smaller customer will pay more for a size inclusive brand than the customer would pay for a non inclusive brand.
10) There is lots of money to be made in selling larger sizes, however, most of the change in the industry seems to be from pressure from customers or from people who go into business because they themselves wear larger sizes. Some of those endeavors are short lived and fizzle out. Sometimes, however, a company actually does believe in Inclusivity.

NotLazySusan

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 10:21 am
You’ve certainly got persistence

southernbubby

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 12:41 pm
NotLazySusan wrote:
You’ve certainly got persistence

I was not sure how many people are interested in the truth and how many simply are upset about it but have no interest in why it is this way. Obviously nobody is responding.

GLUE

Post Thu, Apr 22 2021, 11:41 pm
#7- The bigger the size the more fabric that is why most things from tablecloth to pants the bigger they are the more $$

#2- Years ago I was reading a non-Jewish article in which the women (being interviewed) was 6-3 tall her big gripe was that everything is so low from counter tops,strollers,mass transit seats ect. How she has a hard time buying clothes that fit.
A few months later the Binah was interviewing a women who was less then 4 feet tall her big gripe was that everything was so hi how it is hard to get around since everything is made for taller people. How she has to go shopping for clothes in children's stores.

Why am I bring this up?
There will always be extremes in sizing
If most women are 14-16 that means that stores should be having that the most size and as the sizes go up and down from that size with less clothes as you move away from that size. Not that the store stops selling clothes at size 16

southernbubby

Post Fri, Apr 23 2021, 12:15 am
GLUE wrote:
#7- The bigger the size the more fabric that is why most things from tablecloth to pants the bigger they are the more $$

#2- Years ago I was reading a non-Jewish article in which the women (being interviewed) was 6-3 tall her big gripe was that everything is so low from counter tops,strollers,mass transit seats ect. How she has a hard time buying clothes that fit.
A few months later the Binah was interviewing a women who was less then 4 feet tall her big gripe was that everything was so hi how it is hard to get around since everything is made for taller people. How she has to go shopping for clothes in children's stores.

Why am I bring this up?
There will always be extremes in sizing
If most women are 14-16 that means that stores should be having that the most size and as the sizes go up and down from that size with less clothes as you move away from that size. Not that the store stops selling clothes at size 16

I agree that stores need more sizes from purely a business angle. It's a multi billion dollar industry. I would imagine that stores that top out at size 16 lose a lot of people and that's an antiquated way to do business.

I think that some of the small frum owned stores are selling samples and don't have regular suppliers. Samples are usually made in small sizes. I would imagine that many of these businesses have been in the family for generations and are still operating under the assumption that sizes stop at 16.

Customers are complaining about a new plus size line that it ends at size 26. To them, they call size 12 to 26, not plus size but mid size. The companies that have developed styles up to size 40 have also had plenty of complaints. It's very hard to get those sizes to fit properly. Like you said about the height; people who design goods design for the average person but they don't always know who the average person is.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics